C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:17 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Center speaker question

I've replaced the factory Bose HU with the Kenwood 9902s. Now Looking to upgrade the speakers. I will be replacing only the door tweeters and rear 5.25 speakers. Some people say to unplug the center speaker. Some people just let it be. For those of you that have replaced those 4 speakers on the Bose system, do you recommend unplugging the center speaker or leave it alone? Has anyone replaced the center speaker with an upgraded speaker? Is the door 3.5 " speaker a better speaker than the one in the dash?
I have already added about 50 sf. of fatmat to the floor. I'll be adding some to each door when I pull the panels.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:31 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I replaced my door speakers with components and disconnected the center. It sounds better without it. Also, the center speaker is identical to the 3.5" door speakers.

Last edited by EVRose; 03-06-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:39 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

My understanding is the Bose system combines the left and right channels into one signal to that center speaker that many consider just "muddies" the sound. So most who disconnect the center speaker think the system sounds much clearer. I don't think the center speaker would be needed if you have nice speakers everywhere else. Just my opinion of course.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I removed my center speaker and used that space to mount the powered speaker for my Beltronics STiR Plus radar detector. The display and controls are custom built into the ash tray location, and hidden when the ash tray is closed. I also added an LED warning in the heads-up display.

Garry

Last edited by Garry in AZ; 03-06-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:51 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like I'll unplug the speaker and not bother replacing it. thanks
Just finished installed the sound deadener in the doors. Did not bother to pull the door panels until today when I decided what the next move would be with the speakers.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:45 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I replaced my door speakers with components and disconnected the center. It sounds better without it. Also, the center speaker is identical to the 3.5" door speakers.
Did the same, and agree
Old 07-13-2018, 09:57 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrasport
I've replaced the factory Bose HU with the Kenwood 9902s. Now Looking to upgrade the speakers. I will be replacing only the door tweeters and rear 5.25 speakers. Some people say to unplug the center speaker. Some people just let it be. For those of you that have replaced those 4 speakers on the Bose system, do you recommend unplugging the center speaker or leave it alone? Has anyone replaced the center speaker with an upgraded speaker? Is the door 3.5 " speaker a better speaker than the one in the dash?
I have already added about 50 sf. of fatmat to the floor. I'll be adding some to each door when I pull the panels.
Unplug the center, you will never miss it and the sound imaging with be much better. Replacing it will not really add anything in my opinion. If you have the door panels off to replace the tweeters, really consider going with components and do away with the Bose altogether. From my experience and research aftermarket and Bose do not mix. Also you should really consider an aftermarket amp. My biggest mistake was not just doing the amp from the start. The amp changes everything for the better, and it is not that hard to install. My new Kenwood sounded decent in the garage but as soon as I hit highway speeds I knew I needed an amp..........You will not regret it and it is a must to drive aftermarket speakers. Good luck
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 PM
rgibson214
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Replace Dash Speaker?

Originally Posted by RicK T
My understanding is the Bose system combines the left and right channels into one signal to that center speaker that many consider just "muddies" the sound. So most who disconnect the center speaker think the system sounds much clearer. I don't think the center speaker would be needed if you have nice speakers everywhere else. Just my opinion of course.
Your comment echoes other posts on this forum. I have a 2008 coupe with the Bose and nav. Tomorrow I will replace the 3.5" speakers in the door with JBL Club 3020's and the rear speakers with JBL Club 5020's. I also plan to disconnect the center tweeter. Based on all the information available on this forum, I don't expect to significantly improve the sound in my Vette; that would probably require a clean sweep. I'm not ready to dive that deep just yet.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:42 PM
rosco11
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"I don't think 599 for a set of Focal Poly Kevlar Power Series 6.5"- 165KF is that expensive."

I do. Focals are expensive right now because they are popular. Popularity determines price more so than quality. And popularity is influenced more by good marketing than a good product. Like a BMW or i-phone for example.

You can get a very good set of 6x5s for under 200 bucks that the human ear can not tell the difference between that and a 1000 dollar set. But buy what you like. Some people have a very lose relationship with their wallet.

I would also like to know the depth of the front door speakers. I know alpine makes a decent shallow 10 inch mid-woofer. Surely someone has taken their door apart and measured it by now? They are 4 years old already.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by rosco11
"I don't think 599 for a set of Focal Poly Kevlar Power Series 6.5"- 165KF is that expensive."

I do. Focals are expensive right now because they are popular. Popularity determines price more so than quality. And popularity is influenced more by good marketing than a good product. Like a BMW or i-phone for example.

You can get a very good set of 6x5s for under 200 bucks that the human ear can not tell the difference between that and a 1000 dollar set. But buy what you like. Some people have a very lose relationship with their wallet.

I would also like to know the depth of the front door speakers. I know alpine makes a decent shallow 10 inch mid-woofer. Surely someone has taken their door apart and measured it by now? They are 4 years old already.
10" woofers in the doors will not sound good. You want to go with component speakers and put a sub somewhere. That said, I completely disagree about your comment regarding quality speakers that cost a lot of money vs. cheap speakers that you say you can't tell the difference. If you'd actually bought the $1000 speakers and have heard the difference between them and cheaper speakers in a Vette, you'd have a different opinion.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:38 PM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Cost has nothing to do with quality of speaker for the ear. Speakers are a subjective component that are vastly different between brands. Some are cold and bright. Some are warm and midrange. Some are boomy. Some are a mixture of all three. Why does your radio have equalizer tone shapers in them? Because everyone likes a different sound.
As an audio engineer, for years I’ve tested speakers and at numerous times blind tested people who have picked a less expensive speaker over the currently acclaimed “Best (high priced) Speaker of the Year”.
My advice, go to several audio shops. A store like Best Buy has more top brands to compare in the same environment which makes it a fairer test. Listen to the expensive speakers and pick the type of sound that you like(they will sound different). Then start comparing the less expensive speakers (A/B). Keep going down in price until you actually can tell the difference. Now buy the ones that you couldn’t tell the difference from.
Unless your ego demands a certain name, the average buyer will save the money and be just as happy with the sound.

The following users liked this post:
jimijam (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 09:02 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Replaced my head unit, did not replace the Bose, but did remove the center speaker .. IMO, sounds much better, would imagine would have same (improvement) effect regardless of the speakers.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I removed my center speaker and mounted my XM antenna there.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 PM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

A side note to my previous post: The loudest speaker always wins, no matter how bad it is. Try to get the speakers white noise sound level (between station static) as equal as possible before making your comparison.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I will dive in as I am a bit of an Audiophile. The center speaker was installed so that both the driver and the passenger have the exact same sound experience.. Whoever at GM thought that was a good idea was clueless about the soundstage,
First thing I did on my C6 was to disconnect the center speaker. That gave a very distinct left and right sound.
The goal of any stereo system is to create a soundstage so the band/instruments are laid out in front of you aka across the windshield. One of the best songs I have used to test a system is Chicago The Band's I'm A Man, Long version. They break out into a long percussion routine that has all the instruments laid out across the stage. With the center speaker removed I have the tambourine in my left ear, the sand blocks just to the right of that, the drums in the center and the cowbell and percussion blocks on the far right.
In all of my cars I disconnected the rear speakers, they just muck up the soundstage.
As far as expensive speakers versus cheap. there is a huge difference. I have two identical cars for my business, one with very expensive speakers Focal Performance PS 165 Components and the other stock speakers. The difference is simply amazing. Both have the same Pioneer HU's in them, but the Focals simply make the stock speakers sound like crap. People get in the car with the Focals and can't believe how incredible the sound.system is.
Neither car has any sound deadening material.
Hope this helps
Old 01-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Cardinal Flyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway DrDon

Unplug the center, you will never miss it and the sound imaging with be much better. Replacing it will not really add anything in my opinion. If you have the door panels off to replace the tweeters, really consider going with components and do away with the Bose altogether. From my experience and research aftermarket and Bose do not mix. Also you should really consider an aftermarket amp. My biggest mistake was not just doing the amp from the start. The amp changes everything for the better, and it is not that hard to install. My new Kenwood sounded decent in the garage but as soon as I hit highway speeds I knew I needed an amp..........You will not regret it and it is a must to drive aftermarket speakers. Good luck

And replace the Bose door speakers with the best mid range you can afford and drive a sub off the amp you add, again within your budget. You don't need top-line equipment initially to get an unbelievable improvement over the stock system! Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2019, 11:26 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

For a cheap easy upgrade you can easily replace the 3.5" door speakers and 5.25" rears with some aftermarket 4ohm speakers and you will definitely notice an improvement in sound and clarity while keeping the Bose woofers and amp. As far as the center speaker, try disconnecting it. It's not difficult to do, and you can decide for yourself if you prefer it connected or not.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:03 AM
cyclesailor955
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default How Do I Disconnect the Center Speaker ??

How do I access the the center speaker to disconnect the the wiring in 2011 GS coupe ??

Thanks
Old 01-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Use a plastic trim tool or a tape-covered flat screwdriver to ease off the speaker trim... it's in there pretty snugly & easy to mark up the dash so just take your time. Then just disconnect the wires to the speaker & terminate the ends with insulating material, electrical tape, whatever you've got laying around. I used shrink tubing.

Get notified of new replies

To Center speaker question

Quick Reply: Center speaker question