C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Mode Exhaust Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 03:22 PM
Poppy21
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Mode Exhaust Problems

I need some help trouble shooting or my 2008 C6 dual mode exhaust system. Presently I can start my car and the valves close as normal. After running the car for about 10 minutes the valves fail to the open position. It seems to me that there may be and issue with an electrical controller (which I have no idea where it is located) or a vacuum hose leak that is located near the exhaust that heats up causing the leak to be greater that the vacuum. Either way I need a diagram showing how the system works so that I can fully troubleshoot the problem. Or maybe someone that has had this happen to them that can point me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated as I do not want to put it on the shop. Thanks
Old 07-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppy21
I need some help trouble shooting or my 2008 C6 dual mode exhaust system. Presently I can start my car and the valves close as normal. After running the car for about 10 minutes the valves fail to the open position. It seems to me that there may be and issue with an electrical controller (which I have no idea where it is located) or a vacuum hose leak that is located near the exhaust that heats up causing the leak to be greater that the vacuum. Either way I need a diagram showing how the system works so that I can fully troubleshoot the problem. Or maybe someone that has had this happen to them that can point me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated as I do not want to put it on the shop. Thanks
Are you just sitting at an idle waiting for them to open, or are you WOT and they aren't opening?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Poppy21
Intermediate

When I leave the house they are operating perfect. After driving for 5 or 10 minutes that open up and stay open. This happens every time from a cold start. Once the car heats up they stay open.

Last edited by Poppy21; 07-10-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

The controller may be heating up, it draws current in the closed position.
I believe it's behind the right storage box in the car's trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Poppy21 (07-11-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Poppy21
Intermediate

Thanks, I''l start there.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I read on a post its behind the passenger rear tail lights, not sure of the best way to get there.
Poppy21 (07-11-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 04:18 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Here are a couple of threads that explain where the controller is and how to remove it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...st-issues.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tuck-open.html

Last edited by unixcorn; 07-10-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Poppy21 (07-11-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 08:08 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Its behind the passenger side tail lights. Difficult to get to but doable. Replaced mine, I think about $35.00.
Poppy21 (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Poppy21
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the troubleshooting tips. I found the bad vacuum module behind the tail lights as instructed. Pulled, trouble shot and confirmed that the controller was bad. Got part on order. Will replace tomorrow. Thanks !!!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:14 PM
joint
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poppy21
I just got my dual mode exhaust working again. The problem is most probably the solenoid. Located behind the passenger side tail lights. Remove the two lenses with a torx bit. The solenoid is just inside and covered by a felt or plastic cover. Pull one side of the cover over to the side. I had to actually cut the right side and fold it over to the right side. It's just to keep some of the dust and debris off of the solenoid. Once the solenoid is in sight, remove the two vac lines carefully. I sprayed a little WD-40 on the lines then worked back and fourth until they came off. Remove the electrical connector. Now pull the solenoid toward the rear of the car to remove it from the bracket. No tools required for any of this. The new GM part number is 25794610. I actually ordered mine on Amazon. About $55 bucks. The old one was full of dust and obviously seized. If you start your car then turn it off, you will hear the air once you pull off the vacuum line that goes toward the engine. This should tell you that the vac lines are okay all the way to the engine and that the solenoid is the problem. Maybe spray a little WD-40 on the actuators too located on the two inner pipes.(butterfly valves). This should get you working. Mine did the same thing. It worked, then they failed open many times until finally stopped working completely. Good luck.
bjmsam (02-17-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by joint
I just got my dual mode exhaust working again. The problem is most probably the solenoid. Located behind the passenger side tail lights. Remove the two lenses with a torx bit. The solenoid is just inside and covered by a felt or plastic cover. Pull one side of the cover over to the side. I had to actually cut the right side and fold it over to the right side. It's just to keep some of the dust and debris off of the solenoid. Once the solenoid is in sight, remove the two vac lines carefully. I sprayed a little WD-40 on the lines then worked back and fourth until they came off. Remove the electrical connector. Now pull the solenoid toward the rear of the car to remove it from the bracket. No tools required for any of this. The new GM part number is 25794610. I actually ordered mine on Amazon. About $55 bucks. The old one was full of dust and obviously seized. If you start your car then turn it off, you will hear the air once you pull off the vacuum line that goes toward the engine. This should tell you that the vac lines are okay all the way to the engine and that the solenoid is the problem. Maybe spray a little WD-40 on the actuators too located on the two inner pipes.(butterfly valves). This should get you working. Mine did the same thing. It worked, then they failed open many times until finally stopped working completely. Good luck.
2016 called and wants its thread back

Zombie thread lives!
Old 02-17-2018, 06:54 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by joint
I just got my dual mode exhaust working again. The problem is most probably the solenoid.
Thank you for contributing this relevant info to an existing thread rather than starting yet another one.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Good info though
Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Are you just sitting at an idle waiting for them to open, or are you WOT and they aren't opening?
He said they are staying open, not closed

Get notified of new replies

To Dual Mode Exhaust Problems

Quick Reply: Dual Mode Exhaust Problems