C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 10:10 PM
monoloco
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default front license plate

What is the deal with front plates? They are obviously ugly and most Corvettes do not have them. As with mine. I know in many states (like Oregon) they are required, but do they often get you actually cited? There are lots of cars, not just Vettes, without them. I was parked in downtown Portland and found an $80 ticket on my car when I returned for no front license. I hate to spend money to get the bracket so I can deface the front of my car.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:21 PM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by monoloco
What is the deal with front plates? They are obviously ugly and most Corvettes do not have them. As with mine. I know in many states (like Oregon) they are required, but do they often get you actually cited? There are lots of cars, not just Vettes, without them. I was parked in downtown Portland and found an $80 ticket on my car when I returned for no front license. I hate to spend money to get the bracket so I can deface the front of my car.
California is another state where a front license plate is required. I guess one of the reasoning points is that it makes it easier to identify a stolen car; that's if the thief doesn't swap out the plates, etc. it still does break up the look of a Vette . . . .

Steve
Old 10-30-2016, 10:23 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

well unless you want to keep paying $80 tickets I would get a front plate.. you can get the one I have that is removable, but after a while I actually got used to it.. Looks better without it sure.. But I'm not into getting tickets that I can avoid.. Your call in any case..
Old 10-30-2016, 10:30 PM
1pt4brd
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joec
well unless you want to keep paying $80 tickets I would get a front plate.. you can get the one I have that is removable, but after a while I actually got used to it.. Looks better without it sure.. But I'm not into getting tickets that I can avoid.. Your call in any case..
Pic of yours? Where did you get it?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

In Utah they don't worry about it too much but the parking police in Salt Lake will write tickets for it. A UHP friend said that if he writes a ticket for no front plate, it's because he is taking the person to jail for something else.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:13 PM
monoloco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joec
Yeah, not wild about signing up for extra tickets. Do you have a link or name of the bracket you use?
Old 10-30-2016, 11:21 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

So far, four years in CA w/o one. They look terrible on a C6. Use some double sided tape to get the ticket signed off and then don't park on the street.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:34 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, you are not too far from me. Corvallis here.

Yeah, it is hit or miss here in Oregon. Some cops don't even look. I use two clear suction cups and metal hooks. Dollar store special. :-)

Oregon law states you have to have a plate clearly visible from the front of the vehicle, nothing says it has to be on the bumper.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:45 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rogue C6
Oregon law states you have to have a plate clearly visible from the front of the vehicle, nothing says it has to be on the bumper.
Not exactly true:

ORS 803.540 (1)(b)

"Plates must be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle if two plates are required."

I guess if someone wants to argue what "displayed on the front" of the vehicle means they have that right, but good luck.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:47 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

They are required here in NYS, but the cops generally don't bother you just for that -- at least in the area I'm in. I know a lot of guys, different cars, who run without them. I've got 3 seasons on my C6, about 7,000 miles and I pass cops -- including troopers -- all the time and so far so good.

If you do end up putting one on, PLEASE don't use the kind of bracket that goes off center so it looks like some kid walked by and stuck the plate on with some bubblegum.

A centered plate certainly doesn't help the looks, but an off-center plate looks like a joke.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:53 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,347 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I pay a $50.00 fee once per year to the DMV to use a rear plate only.
There is a catch however. The one plate is only good from April 1-Nov 1, thus marked Seasonal Plate. It is used by those that have summer vehicles only, and don't want to ruin the lines of their cars with a front plate.
In this province, we get snow beginning around mid December and it stays until mid to late March, so most put up their summer toys up for the winter anyway.
It just doesn't make sense how some vehicles with seasonal plates can be justified using only a rear plate, yet all others need 2 plates in the same jurisdiction.
BTW, if any vehicle with only a rear plate does not have the seasonal designation, they do get fined for not having a front plate.

It's stupid, but I'm glad that I do have the choice to make.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:59 PM
monoloco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rogue C6
Hey, you are not too far from me. Corvallis here.

Yeah, it is hit or miss here in Oregon. Some cops don't even look. I use two clear suction cups and metal hooks. Dollar store special. :-)

I guess there are a few of us on the upper left coast! So you hang yours in the window with suction cups? Clever. I am guessing that cops mostly are not going to bother, unless they stop you for something else. The meter maid ticket surprised me, as my paid up parking was in the window. I am going to cave and buy a bracket. Saw a removable one for about the cost of another ticket....
Old 10-31-2016, 12:07 AM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Colorado requires them and the '08 I bought had the ugly bracket already mounted to the front bumper so it is what it is.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:23 AM
Butt Officer
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front Plate

Wow those are sure Ugly, Not to mention on a Z06 would probably run hotter! But then again never had a Run Hot Problem. Like I hear Z06 owners talk about. And I Run Her Hard, Put her up Wet!
I threw my front plate bracket on the shelf, But then again in Fla. Don't need one.
Feel sorry for u guys/girls that have to have one. But then again I would pay the tickets cause I wouldn't use One Period.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:28 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I have a removable plate for car shows. It's been in the trunk since the start of the summer. I took it off at the first car show and keep forgetting to put it back on. I figure if I get pulled over, that would be a good enough excuse.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:54 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 614 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
So far, four years in CA w/o one. They look terrible on a C6. Use some double sided tape to get the ticket signed off and then don't park on the street.
I lived in the SF Bay Area for 10 years until 2008, and my convertible never had a plate for the last eight years until I moved away.

Others I knew got tickets, even when parked, but I never did. I chalked it up to good living.

I did put a front plate on my GS here in IL. I work in MO, and they also require a front plate, so I decided to comply rather than tempt fate. There are far more cops between these two States then I ever saw in CA. Lots of unmarked vehicles too. Makes it more difficult to drive at fun speeds when you don't know if that SUV up ahead is an unmarked cop car. It usually is.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:28 AM
usr5000
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I bought this removable mount

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-bracket.html
The following users liked this post:
Guyzer7 (03-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To front license plate

Old 10-31-2016, 07:54 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,151 Likes on 741 Posts

[QUOTE=Butt Officer;1593365399............... Not to mention on a Z06 would probably run hotter! But then again never had a Run Hot Problem. ..................[/QUOTE]

My 06 Z06 never ran hot during the summer but my 2011 ZR1 did. Local cop took an interest in my ZR1 coming home from work last spring at a stop light. Waited for me to get ahead of him before he slipped in back of me to light me up. Told me he made the stop for no front plate but then proceeded to chat me up about corvettes and how many I had. Told me I had the "right one"!! Written warning only. Then he proceeded to ignore the AW coupe passing right in front of him without a front plate as he awaits to pull back out onto the street. I already had the Top Flight Repro upper bracket installed from several years ago. I prompted installed the front plate figuring he would see and remember the ZR1 again and might get mad if I hadn't installed the front plate. Back in the heat of the summer on the freeway, it was running 15 to 20 degs F hotter than the previous 5 summers without the plate.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:02 AM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I pay a $50.00 fee once per year to the DMV to use a rear plate only.
There is a catch however. The one plate is only good from April 1-Nov 1, thus marked Seasonal Plate. It is used by those that have summer vehicles only, and don't want to ruin the lines of their cars with a front plate.
In this province, we get snow beginning around mid December and it stays until mid to late March, so most put up their summer toys up for the winter anyway.
It just doesn't make sense how some vehicles with seasonal plates can be justified using only a rear plate, yet all others need 2 plates in the same jurisdiction.
BTW, if any vehicle with only a rear plate does not have the seasonal designation, they do get fined for not having a front plate.

It's stupid, but I'm glad that I do have the choice to make.
Here in Nebraska I also pay an extra $50 bucks per year for what is referred to as a specialty plate. (rear display only) Our only stipulation is the vehicle is supposed to be used for pleasure only and is not be used as a daily driver. Most of the Vette owners around here are running with the rear display specialty plate. Like you, I'm glad to have that option.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:09 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,823 Posts

I've been stopped five times for not having a front plate.

Quick Reply: front license plate