C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Hartford Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Whoop
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

Default The Hartford Insurance

We bought a new car for the wife last week. My Liberty Mutual insurance rates rose by $350 for the year so I thought it was a good time to shop. When researching on the Vette Forum several members talked about the good Corvette and other rates they received from The Hartford.

First bad experience was they didn't have my wife's 2017 BMW X5 listed as an available car nor would her VIN come up. It did on Liberty and Amica.

Second bad experience I called the number and they said they can only quote if I was an AARP member as I was over 50. So I said what the heck and spent $16 bucks to join. I waited 24 hours and called today.

Third bad experience was after spending 20 minutes on the phone telling them about my 4 cars, drivers and house (wanted multiple policies) I was told they wouldn't cover us because 3 of my 4 vehicles on a their restricted list for anyone under the age of 26!!!! including my Grand Sport and our 2 Jeep Wranglers. My 19 year old college daughter (who spends most of her time away at college) wouldn't be able to be covered because they have deemed the Wrangler a roll over hazard and the Vette is too fast. What a crock of ****.

I have received quotes from Allstate, State Farm, Farmers, Amica and Liberty over the past couple of years without any mention of restrictions or issues. I called AARP and canceled my membership and I will not ever be using The Hartford for anything. They guy even suggested I sell my restricted cars. I told him I would rather run around with no insurance then to be told what kind of pathetic excuse of a car they had on their unrestricted list to drive.

Wanted to let other forum members know if they have anyone under 26 living with them you don't try to get coverage on you Vette through The Hartford.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Did they ever give you a rate quote? With all those exclusions it should've been a lot cheaper.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

My 2 uncles had an insurance agency and Hartford is one of the ones they sold for. When I was 21 years old (many years ago), they wanted $650 a year to insure my 57 Bel Aire car. GEICO insured it for me for $150 a year.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:35 PM
Whoop
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Did they ever give you a rate quote? With all those exclusions it should've been a lot cheaper.
They wouldn't qoute because of the restricted vehicles and my college daughters age.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:22 PM
OneMoreVet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tried the same with AARP/Hartford for my Homeowners and vehicles. Joined for a year at $16. The quote was more than I was paying so I passed.

The problem now is I get inundated with junk mail from AARP. Renewal notices every week for the last 3 years.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:12 AM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I've used Liberty Mutual for several years now. My 18 year old was busted for DWI, reckless driving, and several speeding tickets before he got straightened out. They never dropped us. We have four cars and a truck insured through them. The C6, a Charger, 84 Z28, F250, and a BMW 325i. Two sons one 18 and the other 22.

I've had several claims through them and they've been helpful and honest. Highly recommend them.

Maybe not the cheapest but an excellent company.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:15 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I have the Hartford for many years. (AARP) it's just me driving the Vette and Lexus. The prices in NY were less than other insurance companies at the time (about 5 years ago)I moved to Florida almost 3 years ago and shopped around. Florida at least where I live was slightly more than
In NY. Before the renewal I check other companies to see if I can get insured for less money. So far I'm still with Hartford. One plus with Hartford is its a yearly renewal.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:20 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by OneMoreVet
Tried the same with AARP/Hartford for my Homeowners and vehicles. Joined for a year at $16. The quote was more than I was paying so I passed.

The problem now is I get inundated with junk mail from AARP. Renewal notices every week for the last 3 years.
They have discounts for AARP member at many motels , hotels and restaurants and car rentals. I use it for 15% off at outback restaurants.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:46 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I have and recommend checking out Safeco. It has been a good company to work with. Knock on wood, I have not had a car insurance claim but I have had a home owners insurance claim and it was as painless as could be.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:36 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If Erie is available in your area check them out.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Richard F
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Ive got Hartford. They worked well with us on the last corvette that was totaled and ended up paying me more than I paid for it originally. They have my 2011 GS along with my Ford F150 4x4 and wifes Buick Regal Turbo. Prices are the lowest I could find around here. But its just me and the wife and were over 50...
Old 01-23-2017, 03:55 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

7 months ago when a pickup backed up over the hood of my car the guy who did so had Liberty Mutual. My insurance company is still fighting with them over the claim even though I supplied witnesses. They have sent me imtimidating letters in the mail demanding proof of repair. I turned those letters over to my insurance company and found out my witnesses were contacted. Seems like a dirtbag company to me. Before this happened I got a quote from them that was double what I'm paying now.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:13 PM
Duck Pond
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Aaa

My wife and I have 4 homes, an F150, an Explorer, a Harley and a Corvette GS. Everything we have is insured by AAA. We don't shop price we go with quality. IMO it's the best
Old 01-24-2017, 10:25 PM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I have A Problem with AARP. Their support of left wing causes and agendas make me shy away from them. But that's just because I'm a conservative. Just like I avoided GEICO because of their crusades against RADAR detectors. I will pay for insurance because it's a good idea. But I will not support companies that use politics to take away my rights. Next thing they'll want to plug stuff into our computers to monitor our driving........
Old 01-25-2017, 07:33 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by zzjakect
I have A Problem with AARP. Their support of left wing causes and agendas make me shy away from them. But that's just because I'm a conservative. Just like I avoided GEICO because of their crusades against RADAR detectors. I will pay for insurance because it's a good idea. But I will not support companies that use politics to take away my rights. Next thing they'll want to plug stuff into our computers to monitor our driving........
Ain't it the truth.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck Pond
My wife and I have 4 homes, an F150, an Explorer, a Harley and a Corvette GS. Everything we have is insured by AAA. We don't shop price we go with quality. IMO it's the best
If you go with quality, why do you own a Ford?
Old 01-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I agree.

I'm finally dumping AARP and am a member of the more conservative AMAC although, politics aside, neither organization does me much good. I don't travel and that seems to be what both focus on -- hotel discounts, etc. None of my retired friends nor family members "travel," so I don't know why these organizations focus so much on it.

Car insurance "deals" through either organization are more expensive than what I'm already paying. It's been my life-long experience that you HAVE to shop around for car insurance every few years or your premiums will tend to creep up.

As for The Hartford: No experience with autos, although they do have my business insurance. I make my living in my backyard in my barn (toolmaker). All I want is fire, wind, rain damage, and content replacement coverage. I don't care about product liability or any other business-related coverage.

BUT, because I earn my living there, NOBODY will cover the building under my regular homeowner's policy. It MUST be a separate business policy and it isn't cheap.

I've been doing this for 32 years now, and every few years I check around and nobody can offer me anything cheaper than what I am getting through Hartford.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:38 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Dropped the Hartford 3 years ago for Elecric Insuance. reduced my premiums significantly.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:26 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Yep, you nailed it. Progressive has been encouraging monitors that plug into your OBD port for several years now. Despite the advertising claims, they are not the best or the cheapest. State Farm and Allstate are the lowest of the low in my opinion. These companies also have a bad reputation for not putting O.E.M. parts back on your car. Lets you know they are not the smartest or know automotive work well as they should. Poor fitting parts can often make them pay more in labor for repair than purchasing a quality O.E.M. part in the first place.

Get notified of new replies

To The Hartford Insurance

Quick Reply: The Hartford Insurance