C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid replacement & bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:49 PM
velani
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fluid replacement & bleeding

Hello all,

This past weekend was the first weekend as an owner of a C6. I changed the engine oil and filter with Mobile 1 full synthetic and filter.

I also needed to change the brake fluid with new synthetic fluid. What is the best method to bleed all 4 brake units?

I tried MoghtyVac to pull new brake fluid but was not able to keep the hose on the bleeding nipple. Also, I was pulling in bubbles perhaps from the thread of the nipple.

Needless to say, I was not able to complete the job before leaving on a business trip. Can I get a few recommendation on the best and fail safe method to bleed the brakes with fresh fluid?

TIA. Much appreciate advise.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 PM
98vettered
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There may be others that know better than me but I always have somebody in the seat pushing the brake pedal while I man the caliper and open and close each caliper bleeder.
That way I can see when the old brake fluid is flushed and air is out of the system.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

I use the Motive Bleeder. One man operation. No compressor needed. Nobody pushing on the brake pedal. It costs about $85.00 but if you work on your own cars, it is worth every penny. Lots of YouTube videos on it. Takes longer to get the car on jack stands and taking off the wheels than it does to bleed/flush the brake fluid. Note: it does not flush out the ABS. What fluid is in there will remain.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Motive Bleeder here also. Works like a charm - one man job.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Works great!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:17 AM
velani
Heel & Toe

Thank you all so much for your replies and suggestions. Motive bleeder it is.

I looked at the Motive website and saw multiple bleeders. Can I request the exact part number to order for the C6 please, so I don't order the wrong part?

thanks again.

Last edited by velani; 04-11-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
...Note: it does not flush out the ABS. What fluid is in there will remain.
Please take note of this!

You will need to either find someone or rent or buy a tool to open the ABS module via the ECU. A GM Tech II or one of the high-end OBDII devices can do this. My mechanic uses a Autel unit but there are several others that will do this. Otherwise you will not be getting a full flush if that is your goal.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

You won't get the ABS clear but there isn't a lot of fluid in there and, if that really bothers you then you can go out to an empty parking lot on a rainy day and try to lock the brakes which will cycle fluid through the ABS. Oh, I forgot. Corvettes melt in the rain.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 04-11-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:04 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by velani

I looked at the Motive website and saw multiple bleeders. Can I request the exact part number to order for the C6 please, so I don't order the wrong part?

thanks again.
I don't remember the part number but the only special part is the cap that goes on the master cylinder reservoir on the car. Make sure your order the GM cap
The following 2 users liked this post by HBsurfer:
B-Squared (05-15-2019), velani (04-11-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Used mine for the first time flushing the brakes on the ZR1. Love it.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:36 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

You can also use gravity to flush the system. I flush mine every year, it does take a bit longer, but I'm also doing other maintenance items at the time -like washing the wheels since they are off the car, swapping brake pads in preparation for the next hpde event.

Dot 3 works fine for street use, for the track use dot 4 with its higher boiling point. The problem with dot-4 for the street is it needs to be flushed more often as it more readily absorbs water.

HTH
Old 04-15-2017, 08:05 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
You can also use gravity to flush the system. I flush mine every year, it does take a bit longer, but I'm also doing other maintenance items at the time -like washing the wheels since they are off the car, swapping brake pads in preparation for the next hpde event.

Dot 3 works fine for street use, for the track use dot 4 with its higher boiling point. The problem with dot-4 for the street is it needs to be flushed more often as it more readily absorbs water.

HTH
This is the method I use too. I have motive pressure bleeder, but don't use it much anymore, too much brake fluid needed to make it effective. I put the car on my lift and sloe gravity bleed each corner while doing other things. Can take all day or longer, but much cleaner, less chances of a brake fluid spill accident and very efficient.
The following users liked this post:
DLove25 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 08:12 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Yes you can gravity bleed, but I don't have all day to let it sit there dripping out. I don't have any issues with keeping things clean using the motive bleeder as long as you are careful. It honestly couldn't be any easier. Just attach the bleeder, pressurize, securely attach hose to bleeder screw, turn screw and wait ~5-10 minutes. Done. No issues, no spilling and far, far more efficient than gravity.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

thanks again.

I use this exact one: Motive Products 0118 Power Bleeder
Amazon Amazon

It comes with two gaskets that fit inside the cap. I use the larger gasket and it seals nicely.

Then I use these for the fill bottles:
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-15-2017, 10:27 AM
dblais
Instructor

Default bleeding Brakes

I powder coated my calipers. This required a complete teardown and
rebuild. After the install it required the scan tool to start the ABS pump.
Manual bleeding did not work. Be careful to not start with a drained system. I would just add fluid and remove to replace. I use the mytec pump at each wheel. Loosen bleeder pump and replace fluid at the master to maintain fluid replacement.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Hello all,

This past weekend was the first weekend as an owner of a C6. I changed the engine oil and filter with Mobile 1 full synthetic and filter.

I also needed to change the brake fluid with new synthetic fluid. What is the best method to bleed all 4 brake units?

I tried MoghtyVac to pull new brake fluid but was not able to keep the hose on the bleeding nipple. Also, I was pulling in bubbles perhaps from the thread of the nipple.

Needless to say, I was not able to complete the job before leaving on a business trip. Can I get a few recommendation on the best and fail safe method to bleed the brakes with fresh fluid?

TIA. Much appreciate advise.
I'm not familiar with "synthetic" brake fluid that meets the DOT3 specs we are supposed to use, or the DOT4 specs that many of us use instead. Please educate me...
Old 04-15-2017, 11:03 PM
velani
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I'm not familiar with "synthetic" brake fluid that meets the DOT3 specs we are supposed to use, or the DOT4 specs that many of us use instead. Please educate me...

Hi,

Please see attached photo of the Synthetic Dot 3&4 brake fluid
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Brake fluid replacement & bleeding

Old 04-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks!
If anyone can give a comparison of the chemistry in the two fluids, I'd be interested in reading it.

EDIT:
Over at Bob is the Oil Guy, and some posts here, it's said that all DOT3 and DOT4 fluids are considered synthetic, so putting the Synthetic name on the bottle is just marketing hype.
But they also said that the Valvoline "Synthetic" is good stuff, and that's all we care about.

If anyone has further info, I'm still listening!

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 04-15-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:28 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

Hi Jim,

Dot 3 is primarily street use brake fluid, I'm sure it works well at the drag strip and autocross track too. It doesn't have as high of boiling point, but its hygroscopic properties are better.

Dot 4 can be used at higher temperatures but must be changed more frequently as it more readily absorbs water.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:10 PM
velani
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dblais
I powder coated my calipers. This required a complete teardown and
rebuild. After the install it required the scan tool to start the ABS pump.
Manual bleeding did not work. Be careful to not start with a drained system. I would just add fluid and remove to replace. I use the mytec pump at each wheel. Loosen bleeder pump and replace fluid at the master to maintain fluid replacement.
Hi,

did you Power coat your calipers a different color like Red or something? I would love to do that in a few months but I was dreading the task. Did you do all the work other than powder coating by yourself? How long did the job take?

what is a mytec pump and its role?

Quick Reply: Brake fluid replacement & bleeding