C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amplifier question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 02:30 PM
psaboic
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amplifier question

I'll post this in the audio section too so please forgive me, but I would like to get as much exposure as possible.

I want to mount a mini amplifier to my aftermarket Kenwood HU as the stock C6 non-bose amp has no RCA inputs and the speaker level inputs cause a constant hum in the HU.

That said, can folks give me some input on where they mounted an aftermarket amp? The unit I am looking at is a Kenwood KAC-M1804 Compact 4-channel Amplifier. It is rated for wet weather as a lot of folks use them on motorcycles. That said, since the unit is compact (5-1/2"W x 3-9/16"D x 1-5/16"H) I was thinking of either in the engine bay near the firewall, or under one of the seats.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Glenn
Old 06-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,083 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you purchase a 5-channel amp, then you can have a dedicated output for a sub-woofer.

I mounted my 5-channel amp behind the passenger seat.

Just don't drill holes in the car's metal panel under the carpet back there ... or you will find yourself drilling a hole in one of the gas tanks.

Most folks just mount the wood to the metal panel using a tube of "Liquid Nails" adhesive (found at any hardware store).

Attachment 48333366

Attachment 48333367

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 06-25-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,083 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You may not need to use the 'AOEM-GM24' Wire Harness Adapter since you already have replaced your OEM head unit with an aftermarket HU.

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 06-25-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:30 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
If you purchase a 5-channel amp, then you can have a dedicated output for a sub-woofer.

Just don't drill holes in the car's metal panel under the carpet back there ... or you will find yourself drilling a hole in one of the gas tanks.

Most folks just mount the wood to the metal panel using a tube of "Liquid Nails" adhesive (found at any hardware store).

That's exactly the way mine is done.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Same for me. Still have enough room for someone to sit comfortably.
Plus keeps it out of the cubbie holes and back of the car.

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
That's exactly the way mine is done.
Originally Posted by Turbo6TA

Old 06-25-2017, 08:23 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Whatever you do, don't put it under the hood. It will burn up inside in no time.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by EVRose
Whatever you do, don't put it under the hood. It will burn up inside in no time.
I've never heard of anyone putting an amplifier under the hood.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:17 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Hells
I've never heard of anyone putting an amplifier under the hood.
I haven't either but the op was thinking about it.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:55 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I haven't either but the op was thinking about it.
Yeah for sure not in the engine bay. And no real room under my seats. But I'm electric.
Behind the seat works good cause it has easy access to the stereo and path for wires along console.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Same for me. Still have enough room for someone to sit comfortably.
Plus keeps it out of the cubbie holes and back of the car.
That's how I did mine as well, but had to turn it sideways to make it fit. It's too big to mount horizontally.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:19 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by psaboic
I'll post this in the audio section too so please forgive me, but I would like to get as much exposure as possible.

I want to mount a mini amplifier to my aftermarket Kenwood HU as the stock C6 non-bose amp has no RCA inputs and the speaker level inputs cause a constant hum in the HU.

That said, can folks give me some input on where they mounted an aftermarket amp? The unit I am looking at is a Kenwood KAC-M1804 Compact 4-channel Amplifier. It is rated for wet weather as a lot of folks use them on motorcycles. That said, since the unit is compact (5-1/2"W x 3-9/16"D x 1-5/16"H) I was thinking of either in the engine bay near the firewall, or under one of the seats.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Glenn
I put one in both my Vette and a buddy's Vette. Mounted both vertical so the gains were facing up. Wires were coming in from the bottom. Could make adjustments and pull out very easily if needed.

Also used hook and loop...aka, Velcro. Mounted two strips to the carpet behind the passenger seat and obviously two strips to the amp. Been there two years and haven't moved and inch.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:28 PM
psaboic
Advanced

Ok, I am having a hell of a time with this amp install. When I wire it up as per the instructions for the head unit (Kenwood DDX 593) and amp (Kenwood KAC-M1804) I get no sound at all, and a "miswire/DC protect"" warning on the head unit. No warning at all on the head unit if I turn it on without any of the speaker wires connected, and everything else connected up. As soon as I even connect one speaker (doesn't matter which one) I get the error.

I have the radio connected via a supplied interface with the factory harness. It all worked before I tried to install the new amp except for an irritating hum in the speakers which I learned was due to the fac tory amp using speaker level inputs.

I suspect that since the factory amp is still in the circuit due to the interface harness that may be the problem. So, if I want to use the new amp do I need to disconnect the factory amp? If so how and where?

Many thanks,

Glenn
Old 07-01-2017, 09:10 PM
psaboic
Advanced

**UPDATE* Ok, I wired in a couple of spare speakers I had laying around to the output of the aftermarket amp and it worked fine. Still nothing if I tap into the factory wire harness at the head unit. That said, I am convinced if I can by-pass the factory amp and wire the car speakers directly to the aftermarket amp outputs it will work fine. I tested the wires and I have a good ground, +12V and power on signal from the head unit at the amp.

Where is the factory amp located (I pulled the passenger kick panel and saw nothing)? And where is the best place to tap into the factory speaker harness and by-pass the factory amp?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by psaboic
**UPDATE* Ok, I wired in a couple of spare speakers I had laying around to the output of the aftermarket amp and it worked fine. Still nothing if I tap into the factory wire harness at the head unit. That said, I am convinced if I can by-pass the factory amp and wire the car speakers directly to the aftermarket amp outputs it will work fine. I tested the wires and I have a good ground, +12V and power on signal from the head unit at the amp.

Where is the factory amp located (I pulled the passenger kick panel and saw nothing)? And where is the best place to tap into the factory speaker harness and by-pass the factory amp?

Thanks
Yes, you most definitely need to remove the factory amp. You can't run a boosted signal into another amp like that. Good thing the built-in safeguards protected the new amp. Give Dennis at Double D Mods a call and ask him where the factory amp is located if you can't find out any other way. I'm sure he's yanked more of them out than he can remember. He can answer your other questions as well.

Iirc, when I installed my amp, keeping in mind that I also replaced all of the factory speakers, I ran my own speaker wires, then cut the factory wires in the harness coming out of the radio to eliminate my factory Bose amp from the system. This was Dennis's suggestion, but I can't remember exactly why we did it this way.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:29 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

The factory amp is in the passenger footwell. Pull down the flap. The amp is to the left of the circuit box. That is where I installed my arc audio amps. I have a detailed write up in the audio forum. Search diy stealth install or something like that.

Get notified of new replies

To Amplifier question

Quick Reply: Amplifier question