C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re: jacking up my C6

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 07:38 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Question re: jacking up my C6

This may be a dumb question to some, but here goes. It's been many many moons since I've used a jack on a vehicle.

I've had the car for about three years and now would like to use my new low-profile Pittsburgh Automotive low-profile jack to lift it, from the front end, to allow me easier access to the fog lamp receptacles. I have pucks to use in conjunction with the jack, and also have a pair of good quality jack stands.

Question is this: If I jack up my '08 car at the location on the front driver's side, do I jack it up enough so that the entire front end of the vehicle comes off the ground (i.e. so that I can deploy both jack stands under the front of vehicle in this one jacking operation); or do I need to do two separate jacking operations (putting one jack stand under the front driver's side, lowering the car onto that jack stand, then jacking up the vehicle from the front passenger side to place the second jack stand)? The owner's manual ain't clear on this point.

Thanks to all,
Bo

Last edited by Ajaste; 11-26-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:00 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

If you jack it up from the jacking points on each side of the car, you won't be able to lift the whole front end at one time. It will raise the side of the car you are jacking more than the front of the car, so you will have to do each side one at a time.
The following users liked this post:
Ajaste (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 08:14 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The good news about that Pittsburgh low profile / long reach jack is that this particular jack is certainly low enough to be pushed under the center / front of the C6, and then be placed under the aluminum cross member of the car.

However, the problem is ... even though the jack has a very long handle, the handle is not long enough to jack the front of the car up since the nose of the car is so low (no room for the jack's handle to go up and down)

You either need to drive the front wheels up on some wood before placeing your Pittsburgh jack, or get another jack and lift at least one side of the car up a little from the front / side jacking point in order to have enough room to place that Pittsburgh jack in front and still be able to raise the car using the Pittsburgh's long handle.

It's all just a big pain in the *** !

Good luck !

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 11-26-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Ajaste (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Andy05C6
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
The good news about that Pittsburgh low profile / long reach jack is that this particular jack is certainly low enough to be pushed under the center / front of the C6, and then be placed under the aluminum cross member of the car.

However, the problem is ... even though the jack has a very long handle, the handle is not long enough to jack the front of the car up since the nose of the car is so low (no room for the jack's handle to go up and down)

You either need to drive the front wheels up on some wood before placeing your Pittsburgh jack, or get another jack and lift at least one side of the car up a little from the side jacking point in order to have enough room to place that Pittsburgh jack in front and still be able to raise the car using the Pittsburgh's long handle.

It's all just a big pain in the *** !

Good luck !

I agree it is a pain, I put together two 2x4s to drive up on so that I had room to use the jack handle. I keep them close since I use them frequently.

The following 2 users liked this post by Andy05C6:
Ajaste (11-26-2017), RogerRamjet21 (02-16-2018)
Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

Just jack up each side - it will be up & on the stands in less than 5 mins start to finish
If you want to raise the stands up below 1 or 2 clicks I always do it in 2 steps to keep the left to right angles to a minumum
Ajaste (11-26-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 05:57 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
Just jack up each side - it will be up & on the stands in less than 5 mins start to finish
That's what I do, very easy.
Ajaste (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:50 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
If you want to raise the stands up below 1 or 2 clicks I always do it in 2 steps to keep the left to right angles to a minumum
This is what I do, and why I have two HF race jacks; one for each side. Pump one side up a few times, walk to other side and do the same. Rinse, repeat until car is high enough to put jack stands underneath. I can have all four corners up in the air in a matter of minutes.
Ajaste (11-27-2017)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:48 AM
GHOLD
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
This is what I do, and why I have two HF race jacks; one for each side. Pump one side up a few times, walk to other side and do the same. Rinse, repeat until car is high enough to put jack stands underneath. I can have all four corners up in the air in a matter of minutes.
Corvette Ed - I like your answer here, but hoping to get some clarification. When you talk of pumping up 1 side, then walking to other side and do the same - per the picture below - which jacking points are you using?
Old 02-16-2018, 10:54 AM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GHOLD
Corvette Ed - I like your answer here, but hoping to get some clarification. When you talk of pumping up 1 side, then walking to other side and do the same - per the picture below - which jacking points are you using?
Okay, I have used the blue points to jack one side of the front of the car so I could do some work on the bumper cover. Since I wasn't under the car, I didn't use a jack stand. If jacking the car at the blue lift point, where do you place a jack stand?
Old 02-16-2018, 01:19 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

Simple answer, at the red spot.

Complex answer, the best way to get the car in the air is to lift the entire front end at the red spots and place the jack stands at the blue spots. The car is very stable. I made a beam out of 2x4" metal "tubing" (actually looks like a 2x4 piece of wood) to span the red areas on the aluminum subframes. To get the car high enough in the air for use of the jack, I use a pair of Race Ramps.

The 2x4 tubing is long enough where I can place jack stands under it at that the endpoints and remove the jack and have at times supported the car both front and read on two pieces of tubing. I don't recommend doing this as the width of the base isn't wide enough for stability. You could, however, support the front (or rear) at the red spots using the tubing, and support the opposite end at the blue spots.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikeCsix:
GHOLD (02-16-2018), RogerRamjet21 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:43 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Simple answer, at the red spot.

Complex answer, the best way to get the car in the air is to lift the entire front end at the red spots and place the jack stands at the blue spots. The car is very stable. I made a beam out of 2x4" metal "tubing" (actually looks like a 2x4 piece of wood) to span the red areas on the aluminum subframes. To get the car high enough in the air for use of the jack, I use a pair of Race Ramps.

The 2x4 tubing is long enough where I can place jack stands under it at that the endpoints and remove the jack and have at times supported the car both front and read on two pieces of tubing. I don't recommend doing this as the width of the base isn't wide enough for stability. You could, however, support the front (or rear) at the red spots using the tubing, and support the opposite end at the blue spots.
Thanks. I think I see a QuickJack in my future...
Old 02-16-2018, 01:44 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

Using the red point on the frame requires the car to be lifted 3’’ To get a jack with lifting beam under the car.
I back my car up on four 3’’ Race ramps,( one ramp per wheel) and then jack it up using a jacking beam, 10 minuets and its up 12’’ on stands.
I made two beams out of 100x50x4 RHS.

mikeCsix Is correct make sure you support the car at the blue points. For safe reasons.

Last edited by bfit; 02-16-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:51 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
Thanks. I think I see a QuickJack in my future...
+100 I've got the 2-pc race ramps which are fine for oil changes and anything that doesn't require removing a wheel, but if I ever contemplate doing anything that needs removing the wheels, Quick Jack it will be.

Last edited by ben z; 02-16-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:54 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I use a system similar to some of the above. I drive the car onto 2 x 12 lift ramps that I build (or RaceRamps) then place my jack under the center of a wood cradle I built and raise the front enough to place jackstands under each end of the cradle. This protects the aluminum crossmember from being damaged by the jackstand. I then do the same at the rear. The Corvette is now level for efficient oil drainage, etc.

These photos were taken under our previous C5, but I still use the same pieces and technique with the C6.

Last edited by duckvett; 02-16-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 02-16-2018, 02:52 PM
DanC8
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

It can be done with one jacking operation (at the blue jack point) if your jack can lift 18-19" high. That is what I do when I parked close to the side wall, otherwise I will use 2 jacks on both sides.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:59 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
You can get the Harbor Freight aluminum jacks for $59 on sale, they are durable, light weight and work great!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:11 PM
GHOLD
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett
I use a system similar to some of the above. I drive the car onto 2 x 12 lift ramps that I build (or RaceRamps) then place my jack under the center of a wood cradle I built and raise the front enough to place jackstands under each end of the cradle. This protects the aluminum crossmember from being damaged by the jackstand. I then do the same at the rear. The Corvette is now level for efficient oil drainage, etc.

These photos were taken under our previous C5, but I still use the same pieces and technique with the C6.

Nice pictures. Seems like a simple economical approach. Does the wood cradle flex much when you jack this up in the center, prior to placing your jack stands?

Get notified of new replies

To Question re: jacking up my C6

Old 02-17-2018, 04:33 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by GHOLD
Nice pictures. Seems like a simple economical approach. Does the wood cradle flex much when you jack this up in the center, prior to placing your jack stands?
No, very little flex. The front is made with 2 x 6 fir and the rear is 2 x 8 fir.

I have also seen metal tubing cradles or crossbars that attach to certain brands of floor-jacks, but the wood is less expensive and, I think it makes for a more stable base.

GHOLD (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Definition of a 1st World Problem: Driving up on two pieces of wood so you can jack up your CORVETTE is a real pain

Seriously?
duckvett (02-18-2018)
Old 04-11-2019, 01:20 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I always found it really easy and convenient to pull into a Firestone and let them to it. Maybe I’d rather drive than lie on a gravel driveway.

Quick Reply: Question re: jacking up my C6