C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a Z06....Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:14 AM
TomcatMF
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have said, you have to roll into the throttle. The LS7 is a torque monster. The only time I can put it to the floor is near the top of 1st gear, but only after gradually pressing the pedal to the floor, and on a very smooth, straight and flat stretch of road. I can stay on it in second gear, but I'm hanging on for dear life hoping it doesn't break loose. But the acceleration sure is a rush.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:25 AM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Limitless100
Sounds like it was mostly a case of old crap tires! Hopefully whatever car I purchase has a decently sticky tire so I can really enjoy the power without constantly pedaling.
I think this is the case. There are many over in the FI section running some big HP numbers that seem to be able to find some form of traction after 2nd gear. I would think with a set of sticky tires and some summer temperatures you would be much happier with the cars performance.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:31 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

OMG !!!!....WAHHH.....WAHHH......my car has so much HP it spins the tires in first and second gear !!!!! What on earth am I gonna do ??!!!!!.........Sorry, couldn't resist....LOL.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:00 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 893 Likes on 580 Posts

Ambient temps? If the car is representative it looks like it should run easy mid to low 11s at roughly low-mid 120s. That's pretty quick.

Last edited by TxLefty; 11-29-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

What mileage was on the car? if it was low, I'd bet its old tires like everyone was mentioning. My first set of tires I purchased the car with would spin all the way thru 3rd in a manual GS. If that was on the Z, it would probably spin 4th too.

New "lower performance" but newer tires = spin first, hook on 2nd.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:46 PM
dhpeck
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Did someone say there wasn't much of a difference between a GS and Z?
Old 11-29-2017, 10:19 PM
Limitless100
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
It's cold in CT, last time I looked. No summer tire is going to hook up well, let alone for someone who drove it the first time and pushed an unfamiliar car harder than he should have .
CT? This is in SC. Harder than he should have? It's a performance car that is bought due to that performance. Seems pretty stupid to not push the car don't you think?

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
? maybe his tires.Like i said i had the oem Goodyear F1 tires and they have great traction in the hot weather where i live.My Z06 was stock also.You said they are not THAT fast of a car,well GM tested it at 198 mph.If the early model Z06's were autos you would of loved it(Maybe).High 60's temp is too damn cold for traction...That's winter weather down here...Lol
Top speed doesn't mean much to me, acceleration is what makes something feel quick. And this simply didn't accelerate like I expected it to based off of what some people say. LOL, this happened in SC, but I'm from NY. So 60's at this time of year is nice to me.

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Yeah, if the tires are old or cold, you will spin in first and second. At least I do. And you need to roll into the throttle in 2nd for sure. If you gun it, the tires will break loose. Many drivers (perhaps not you) treat the throttle like a toggle switch. Either on the floor or let off. Very easy to break traction that way.
As I was driving it I learned that the car preferred gradual throttle application, but that takes away from the strong push I have gotten from my other cars.

Originally Posted by Ahrmike
What mileage was on the car? if it was low, I'd bet its old tires like everyone was mentioning. My first set of tires I purchased the car with would spin all the way thru 3rd in a manual GS. If that was on the Z, it would probably spin 4th too.

New "lower performance" but newer tires = spin first, hook on 2nd.
It had around 20K I believe. Wow that sounds horrible haha
Old 11-30-2017, 08:29 AM
86SC
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

check the date on the tires..

i have an 86 camaro that dyno'd 420 ft/lbs to the wheels running mickey thompson drag radials, never had traction issues

bought the 10' grand sport with a 6 speed. has a few mods, it does exactly what your complaining about, the tires on the rear have plenty of tread but have a 2012 year stamp. they are goodyear f1 super car g2 tires. it was around 50 degree temps when i bought it, i noticed when it was around 80 out they were MUCH better but anything under that they suck, i will be upgrading the tires soon.

the other day it was around 40 degrees out, i eased in to 2nd then in to 3rd.... hit the gas a little harder figuring eh 3rd gear should be fine spun the tires around 70mph

Last edited by 86SC; 11-30-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 344 Posts

CT? This is in SC. Harder than he should have? It's a performance car that is bought due to that performance. Seems pretty stupid to not push the car don't you think?
Yes, but not past the limit of the tires. When you have that much horsepower, you have to apply more driving skill and judgment. You can floor some cars anytime you want in a straight line on dry pavement. A C6 Z06 is not that way. Especially if the temperature is low.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:11 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by owc6
It's cold in CT, last time I looked. No summer tire is going to hook up well, let alone for someone who drove it the first time and pushed an unfamiliar car harder than he should have .
It's 55 right now in SC somewhere, therefore, I not only agree w. the above, it's logical as well. First, a 20K mile car that's already gone thru a set of Goodyears, and is now on Michelins, it only marginally matters if it's runflat or not esp. if they're summer tires vs. AS. Second, your other cars being RC and Mustang are totally different cars in so many ways only a couple of which you ID. Third, you don't know the years in use of the current tires, the "model", the area temp at the time of the test drive, or the nature of the car you're driving.

Finally, I'm not sure what is to benefit from going over all this because you "made it clear" you weren't going to get the car. Frankly, as with most instances of HiPerf driving, as learned at various schools and track DE, it's not the car: it's the driver. Ever see a stock Miata beat a Corvette? Happens every weekend---guess where?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Limitless100
Instructor

Originally Posted by 86SC
check the date on the tires..

i have an 86 camaro that dyno'd 420 ft/lbs to the wheels running mickey thompson drag radials, never had traction issues

bought the 10' grand sport with a 6 speed. has a few mods, it does exactly what your complaining about, the tires on the rear have plenty of tread but have a 2012 year stamp. they are goodyear f1 super car g2 tires. it was around 50 degree temps when i bought it, i noticed when it was around 80 out they were MUCH better but anything under that they suck, i will be upgrading the tires soon.

the other day it was around 40 degrees out, i eased in to 2nd then in to 3rd.... hit the gas a little harder figuring eh 3rd gear should be fine spun the tires around 70mph
Yeah I didn't expect the temperature to have such an impact. The cobra has nitto drag radials, and when the temp was mid 60's, it was still able to hook up! I guess the tires that come on the Vette just aren't meant for anything other than 80+ weather loll. Yeah when I rolled into it then punched it around 60, it broke traction just a bit. 60mph! At least I've learned that I will 100% not buy a car with anything but upgraded sticky tires. Or just budget in replacement as soon as I get it.

Originally Posted by AORoads
It's 55 right now in SC somewhere, therefore, I not only agree w. the above, it's logical as well. First, a 20K mile car that's already gone thru a set of Goodyears, and is now on Michelins, it only marginally matters if it's runflat or not esp. if they're summer tires vs. AS. Second, your other cars being RC and Mustang are totally different cars in so many ways only a couple of which you ID. Third, you don't know the years in use of the current tires, the "model", the area temp at the time of the test drive, or the nature of the car you're driving.

Finally, I'm not sure what is to benefit from going over all this because you "made it clear" you weren't going to get the car. Frankly, as with most instances of HiPerf driving, as learned at various schools and track DE, it's not the car: it's the driver. Ever see a stock Miata beat a Corvette? Happens every weekend---guess where?
I think it's been decided the tires had the most to do with the issue.

Yes I will not be buying that car for various other reasons. I am going over all of this to ensure that corvettes as a whole aren't horrible traction vehicles.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,853 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Yeah I didn't expect the temperature to have such an impact. The cobra has nitto drag radials, and when the temp was mid 60's, it was still able to hook up! I guess the tires that come on the Vette just aren't meant for anything other than 80+ weather loll. Yeah when I rolled into it then punched it around 60, it broke traction just a bit. 60mph! At least I've learned that I will 100% not buy a car with anything but upgraded sticky tires. Or just budget in replacement as soon as I get it.
A Z06 Corvette is near 1000 pounds lighter than a Mustang, and has more HP and torque. There is no comparison between the two.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:37 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
A Z06 Corvette is near 1000 pounds lighter than a Mustang, and has more HP and torque. There is no comparison between the two.
1000 lbs Ed??? I looked up the c-6 Z06 and the article said 3147 lbs and I just watched a guy weigh his 2017 Mustang Gt, it came in at 3800 lbs so its more like 650 lbs from what I can determine, not picking straws but that seems more likely to me.
The GS is at 3311 lbs
NSF
Old 11-30-2017, 03:20 PM
Limitless100
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
1000 pounds!? Where are you getting your information lol. My Cobra weighed about 3300. Also, my car had a twin screw blower on it, which makes impressive TQ. The TQ in my car was most likely around 430-450 at the crank.

My assumption is you commented without reading the rest of the thread which included details of my car. Power wasn't far off from a stock Z, and weight wasn't too far off either.

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
1000 lbs Ed??? I looked up the c-6 Z06 and the article said 3147 lbs and I just watched a guy weigh his 2017 Mustang Gt, it came in at 3800 lbs so its more like 650 lbs from what I can determine, not picking straws but that seems more likely to me.
The GS is at 3311 lbs
NSF
So even a new GT isn't nearly 1000 pounds more.

Last edited by Limitless100; 11-30-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,853 Likes on 1,806 Posts

The GS is at 3311 lbs
NSF
I did say "near," thus providing some leeway in the interpretation. I've been around long enough to know to use provisos around here.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 05:46 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Ed...Ed....This is corvette forum where one must be 100% accurate or there will be hell to pay......lOL. If you don't use the terms..."maybe"....."might be"....."close to"....."somewhere around"....."i'm not sure".....etc....etc....one will surely suffer the wrath of the trollers.....
Old 11-30-2017, 05:56 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by windyC6
Ed...Ed....This is corvette forum where one must be 100% accurate or there will be hell to pay......lOL. If you don't use the terms..."maybe"....."might be"....."close to"....."somewhere around"....."i'm not sure".....etc....etc....one will surely suffer the wrath of the trollers.....
You callin me a "troll" there WindyOne Them thar are fightin words partner
NSF

Get notified of new replies

To Test drove a Z06....Thoughts

Old 11-30-2017, 06:05 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The GS is at 3311 lbs
NSF
what's the added front end weight from supercharger?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:47 PM
PHIL MEMPHIS
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a 2007 Z06, with Continental tires. My doesn't spin much at all, just hooks up and goes. I love this car. Has headers and Corsa exhaust.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PHIL MEMPHIS
I have a 2007 Z06, with Continental tires. My doesn't spin much at all, just hooks up and goes. I love this car. Has headers and Corsa exhaust.
Ditto for my GS, (had Nittos and now Hankooks) maybe its the huge meats on the rear

I keep reading about these "spinning the wheels" problem but I don't have any problems, in fact its sort of hard to do it ???
NSF

Quick Reply: Test drove a Z06....Thoughts