C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi beam update

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:54 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default C6 High Beams

Originally Posted by madsonp
Then why are you worried about the heat ?
I am not worried about the heat but the dust will get in the housing. I am not going to try and **** up a rope with you on this matter.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:03 PM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette
I am not worried about the heat but the dust will get in the housing. I am not going to try and **** up a rope with you on this matter.
Dust will not get into the housing, that's what the dust caps are designed to prevent.

If you don't install dust caps, perhaps then you may get some dust in there, but I'd suggest installing the dust caps.

Our product (SL1) was designed to fit with the factory dust caps installed.

Thanks!
Nick C.
The following users liked this post:
2008 Corvette (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 04:47 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Yep! Direct replacement for the OEM halogen bulbs. They use an OEM-grade, tooled connector.

Thanks,
Nick C.
Do you offer a forum discount ?????????????
Old 01-26-2018, 04:56 PM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Do you offer a forum discount ?????????????
Absolutely! Send us a PM for the free-shipping code

Nick C.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:22 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by mophead
Haven't seen any threads on C6 hi beam LED in a while. Anyone have success with an LED replacement in the Hi Beam position?
I did some LED fog replacement from Diode Dynamics and they are great. They do not suggest a hi beam led though.
There are lots of cheap stuff on ebay and amazon that I'm really not interested in.
Currently have an HID setup from Corvette Mods but really never liked it. Too bluish.
I'm thinking something in the 5000K range.

Any thoughts? I do live where bright lights can be used.

for your HID low beams you want 4300K.... they start to get blue when you get above 5000K and the light output also goes down.. if you actually drive your car at night and want to see what's in front of you don't go any higher than 4300K HID lowbeams.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:26 PM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
for your HID low beams you want 4300K.... they start to get blue when you get above 5000K and the light output also goes down.. if you actually drive your car at night and want to see what's in front of you don't go any higher than 4300K HID lowbeams.
4300K is indeed the OEM color temperature, and ideal for low-beam use. However, 5000K is pure white with no hint of color, and true 6000K actually has very little blue at all.

While they produce the same amount of lumen output, 4300K will produce more visible output. Those differences between 4300K/5000K/6000K are minimal.

8000K+ though will definitely have a major impact on output. I wouldn't recommend anything beyond 8000K.

Thank you!
Nick C.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Old 01-26-2018, 07:15 PM
kevinjm
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Since this thread is in the front page, I thought I'd ask what vendors forum members recommend for updating the exterior lighting on my C6.
I'm mostly looking to update my headlights (DRLs, low beam, high beam) and reverse light.

I've been eyeing Radio Flyer Innovations' website and my total comes up to $450, including the following:
  • DRL LED Switchbacks (white LED DRL, amber LED turn signal/hazards)
  • Higher ouput HID low beam
  • LED High beam
  • LED reverse lights
  • Plug and play harnesses (necessary, I'm not the best with soldering)
Anyway, my question is: are there other vendorsthat any of you have experience with that also offer competitive prices?
Many thanks!
Old 01-26-2018, 07:42 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

RF does a good job with plug and play assemblies, worth the cost IMHO, PnP keeps the moisture out of the connections.

Always use the dust covers...
The following users liked this post:
kevinjm (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 07:50 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

So the H11's will work in place of the H9's?
Old 01-27-2018, 11:47 AM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nick,

Thank you for weighing in on this thread and the H9 now being available where before it was not. If we look at the Lumen output of 1630 that seems low when compared to other manufacturers. We do understand that the marketing behind these type of bulbs are all over the place. It is easier to say mine is bigger than yours when you don't have each side by side for comparison. I personally have your bulbs in my fogs and they changed the whole dynamic of driving at night.

Do not want to start a Lumen rating war here but as a forum vendor could you take a moment to expand on how you rate your bulbs and arrive at those brightness numbers?

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
4300K is indeed the OEM color temperature, and ideal for low-beam use. However, 5000K is pure white with no hint of color, and true 6000K actually has very little blue at all.

While they produce the same amount of lumen output, 4300K will produce more visible output. Those differences between 4300K/5000K/6000K are minimal.

8000K+ though will definitely have a major impact on output. I wouldn't recommend anything beyond 8000K.

Thank you!
Nick C.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:39 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Subscribed
I’m doing a hid high beam. Two on low four on high
Old 01-29-2018, 10:43 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Nick,

Thank you for weighing in on this thread and the H9 now being available where before it was not. If we look at the Lumen output of 1630 that seems low when compared to other manufacturers. We do understand that the marketing behind these type of bulbs are all over the place. It is easier to say mine is bigger than yours when you don't have each side by side for comparison. I personally have your bulbs in my fogs and they changed the whole dynamic of driving at night.

Do not want to start a Lumen rating war here but as a forum vendor could you take a moment to expand on how you rate your bulbs and arrive at those brightness numbers?
Thank you for asking!

It's important to note that our lumen numbers are actual, real-world, in-house measurements. 99% of lighting vendors offering imported products are relying on overseas manufacturers to provide them with lumen numbers, which are almost always completely fake, or theoretical. You should avoid products with rounded lumen numbers like 8000, 10000+ as it's completely fictitious and not possible.

Compare it to a company selling intakes and claiming gains of 500+ hp by adding an intake. That's essentially what our lumen numbers are going up against marketing-wise.

Our engineering team measures everything in-house, here's an example of that process:

Another thing to keep in mind with regards to lumens, how is this output being directed & focused? You could have an incredibly high lumen total, but if that output isn't focused correctly, it's not going to be useful as say, a 1,630 lumen option that creates the same pattern as an OEM bulb and focuses the light better.

Our SL1 performs extremely well, and was designed to have an extremely long lifespan. At 1,630 lumens (more than a comparable halogen bulb), it's focused nicely and will create more usable output than other market options.

We will have a lot more information available on the SL1s soon, they were finally released in Nov. 2017 after 2+ years of R&D, engineering, and production tooling.

Thank you!
Nick C.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:53 AM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well the link shows 6/8 week delivery and if you go to their website directly shows out of stock.
Anyone manage to get a pair to try yet? I would probably give them a shot if they were ever available.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:04 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Well the link shows 6/8 week delivery and if you go to their website directly shows out of stock.
Anyone manage to get a pair to try yet? I would probably give them a shot if they were ever available.
We are working on that, we've hired three new production employees this week alone

They've done extremely well for us, and our customers have sent in some great output photos.

The SL1 works best in reflector style housings. With all this being said, if anyone with a C6 lives here in St. Louis, please give us a call: (314) 205-3033

We would love to bring one into the studio for comparison photos and installation videos!

Nick C.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:31 PM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Website still showing 6/8 week backorder. Its been that way since the intro.

Anyone else find a suitable high beam H9 LED?
Old 05-03-2018, 05:43 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

www.jdmastar.com has great LEDs.

Get notified of new replies

To Hi beam update

Old 05-03-2018, 06:32 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Last edited by mikeCsix; 05-03-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:36 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mcm95403
www.jdmastar.com has great LEDs.
The problem is two-fold, made in China and most likely not the correct focal length for the reflector meaning it would be no different than adding hid's to a halogen reflector. Sure the light is brighter but since it is more scattered, it isn't as useable (and oncoming traffic can be blinded).
Old 05-03-2018, 08:42 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
The problem is two-fold, made in China and most likely not the correct focal length for the reflector meaning it would be no different than adding hid's to a halogen reflector. Sure the light is brighter but since it is more scattered, it isn't as useable (and oncoming traffic can be blinded).
The ones I've used so far have work VERY well. I used their 50 watt red bulbs in the back of my 2010 Challenger, along with converting all 8 bulbs to work as brake, turn and hazard. 400 watts of brake light can't be missed. My front turns are also from them and more than double the brightness of the old bulbs. I used their newest 5000K bulbs for the headlights and am VERY happy with them as well. Very bright, clean white color with incredible range. I also have their lights for my interior dome lights - it's like daytime when you turn them on.

Just about everything is made in China (or Mexico) now, but at least jdmastar is based in LA and has real live people in LA to take your call and answer questions.

Quick Reply: Hi beam update