C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Ride Height / Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:15 PM
CaPilotMark
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chilangoworrior

Go LOOOOOWWWWERRRR
That just looks SICK!
Old 02-08-2018, 12:03 AM
Dad3Sons
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
Ride height looks great in the pics, that was before you raised it up? Did you happen to take any before and after measurements vertically at the center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel openings? If you did what are the before and after measurements?
Hey Cady - the pics are in the “lowered” condition when I picked the car up. I’ll get some pics tomorrow of the “lifted” condition. I put about 80 miles driving today and never scraped anything, which means I could lower it a little. It was very disconcerting to be dragging the front air dam on every little driveway entrance, intersection gutter crossing and utility pavement cut in town. The car is too new to me to have to be so careful driving it around town.

BTW - it’s SO much easier to jack up this C6 compared to the 96 C4 coupe I had. It didn’t take me more than 15 minutes per wheel to adjust the ride height screws on the leaf springs. In the week or so that I’ve had this car, the improvement in engineering between the ‘96 C4 and this ‘06 C6 is really apparent. I’m thrilled with it!!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:05 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Dad3Sons
Hey Cady - the pics are in the “lowered” condition when I picked the car up. I’ll get some pics tomorrow of the “lifted” condition. I put about 80 miles driving today and never scraped anything, which means I could lower it a little. It was very disconcerting to be dragging the front air dam on every little driveway entrance, intersection gutter crossing and utility pavement cut in town. The car is too new to me to have to be so careful driving it around town.

BTW - it’s SO much easier to jack up this C6 compared to the 96 C4 coupe I had. It didn’t take me more than 15 minutes per wheel to adjust the ride height screws on the leaf springs. In the week or so that I’ve had this car, the improvement in engineering between the ‘96 C4 and this ‘06 C6 is really apparent. I’m thrilled with it!!
Just FYI, the front air dam is designed to scrape. Many people just trim a half inch or so off of it, or do like I do, and just replace it every few years or so. It's relatively inexpensive, and is an easy swap.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:09 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks, I am just curious how your height compares to mine. I am '05 Z51 and stock height as far as I know. I did make some minor tweaks to height just trying to get the same measurement on each side. Your front will measure lower than your rear and is supposed to be that way. The only thing I ever rub is the air dam and like already said is normal. Even says so right in the owners manual.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:41 PM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I am trying to raise mine as it is a battle getting out of my driveway.

when i look at the bolt, turning it to the right (tightening) is to raise the car?

I noticed that it was extremely hard to turn the bolt, I tried to put some pressure on the leaf spring and the control arm, but neither helped. Maybe it was not enough pressure? Or should it be very hard to turn regardless?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:55 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

The car needs its rake so be careful.
Measure ride heights from frame not wheel wells.
I add my weight in salt bags when I get alignment.
As you have changed the geometry check alignment when u r done.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:03 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

My GS is stock height, and I once went up a kinda steep driveway at a business, and couldn't get down going the opposite direction. The splitter was digging into the concrete. I had to back up the drive, turn around, then drive in reverse to get out of the lot.

There are other occasions where I have go over speed bumps at a 45 degree angle. I wouldn't want my car even a centimeter lower than what it is now.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default ride height

Originally Posted by ByRiver
My GS is stock height, and I once went up a kinda steep driveway at a business, and couldn't get down going the opposite direction. The splitter was digging into the concrete. I had to back up the drive, turn around, then drive in reverse to get out of the lot.

There are other occasions where I have go over speed bumps at a 45 degree angle. I wouldn't want my car even a centimeter lower than what it is now.

I love the lowered look and, keep waffling on the idea of lowering mine.
but after already replacing the lower radiator support once, spending another $400 ( $300 parts / $100 labor ), I'm good as is.

maybe I should look for better roads (?).

Old 02-08-2018, 03:25 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Very nice C6 Dad3Sons!
Me and your old C4 are still having a love-fest! Best of luck with the new one!
The following users liked this post:
Dad3Sons (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:45 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by koreanbeefcake

when i look at the bolt, turning it to the right (tightening) is to raise the car?

I noticed that it was extremely hard to turn the bolt, I tried to put some pressure on the leaf spring and the control arm, but neither helped. Maybe it was not enough pressure? Or should it be very hard to turn regardless?
The leaf spring should not be touching the bolt, take all the pressure off the bolt. If they are still hard to turn spray with penetrating oil and let it sit a day or so.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I will be going one finger in the front, two in the rear come this spring...
Old 02-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Dad3Sons
Advanced

Originally Posted by koreanbeefcake

KBC - go to YouTube and search C6 suspension adjustment. There are several good videos, especially one by “froggy” that will show you what to do. You must jack up the end of the leaf spring off the lower control arm to relieve the pressure on the adjusting bolt. Shooting the bolt with some spray penetrating lube will help. Good luck!!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:29 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 904 Likes on 588 Posts

There are two ways to measure ride height. One, from the wheel arches is easy but not too accurate due to body panel variations. Two, with the trim height gauge, is more accurate but requires a special tool. Note that there are different specs for different models. Once it's adjusted where you want it you need to drive it awhile to let it settle and then check again and probably fine tune and repeat. Then you absolutely need to get the alignment done.

My '13 GS was lowered over 2" in front when I got it and was nearly undriveable. I had it set back to factory specs and it's much better. I like to drive fast in the mountains on back roads that are far from perfect. I hate to have to slow down just because the pavement has a few bumps.

The following users liked this post:
Dad3Sons (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by chilangoworrior

Go LOOOOOWWWWERRRR
I agree that this looks good BUT very impractical for a street driven car.
Just to low and no shock travel on thin sidewalls going to be a rough ride.......but hay your looking good.

I am sick of scraping and occasional hitting the radiator supports. I am going back to oem height after 8 years of putting up with the lower stance on stock bolts.

Just a pain in the *** and tried of dodging everything.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:46 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

When I look at pictures of Italian sport cars, I see cars where the tire fills the wheel well with no gap, but the car body isn't literally scrapping the ground.

You do see the million+ dollar supercars dragging the pavement, but I think they have better roads over there. It seems very impractical for our bad roads. I just can't enjoy driving my car while listening to parts scrapping the ground every other block. It is worse than listening to fingernails on a blackboard.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:49 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

When I look at pictures of Italian sport cars, I see cars where the tire fills the wheel well with no gap, but the car body isn't literally scrapping the ground.

You do see the million+ dollar supercars dragging the pavement, but I think they have better roads over there. It seems very impractical for our bad roads. I just can't enjoy driving my car while listening to parts scrapping the ground every other block. It is worse than listening to fingernails on a blackboard.
If you ever get the chance to drive on the Autobahn, it is well worth it. The Germans have kept that roadway in excellent condition. About the only place I've seen come close is in Arizona, at least in the Northwest portion of the valley. As for the rest of the country, the roads are almost universally bad. The states won't maintain their infrastructure and we have all seen the penalty by the bridge failures, let alone the dismal road surface.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:08 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
If you ever get the chance to drive on the Autobahn, it is well worth it. The Germans have kept that roadway in excellent condition. About the only place I've seen come close is in Arizona, at least in the Northwest portion of the valley. As for the rest of the country, the roads are almost universally bad. The states won't maintain their infrastructure and we have all seen the penalty by the bridge failures, let alone the dismal road surface.
It's on my bucket list to see and drive on the Autobahn.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Ride Height / Lowering

Old 02-08-2018, 10:33 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

It's fun but also a lot of responsibility. If you haven't been to Germany, their driving laws are very regimented and everyone pays very close attention to what is going on. There is more and more sections that have speed limits these days, just like everywhere else there is congestion to deal with.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:20 PM
Dad3Sons
Advanced

I've only been driving my C6 for about a week. I love getting the looks and thumbs up "Hey, Nice Car!!" I hate getting that startled look when you "graunch" the air dam on something and their look says, "What the hell was that??"

Old 02-09-2018, 09:05 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

I've only been driving my C6 for about a week. I love getting the looks and thumbs up "Hey, Nice Car!!" I hate getting that startled look when you "graunch" the air dam on something and their look says, "What the hell was that??"

There is a local guy with chrome wagon wheels on his Camaro.

He gets props, but when he hits the brakes they screeeeeeech! Not sure if he just needs to spend money on new brake pads, or the 24" wheels have too much mass for the brakes.

Quick Reply: C6 Ride Height / Lowering