C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Stereo for C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:02 PM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15-'16,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Perfect timing for this thread. I have been looking for a while at a new HU for my 09 Bose with Nav and Crutchfield has always been very good with price and customer service. They recommended the Kenwood DNX893S the unit was 699 and after tax and the additional wiring needs it comes to 767. They had no replacements for the subs in the door but offered 2 for the upper and the 2 rear, I won't get them yet. As far as Nav goes I don't really use it for directions unless I get lost or whatever but I do like having the ability to look over and see the screen with the info it provides, street names, towns etc.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by FWC
Perfect timing for this thread. I have been looking for a while at a new HU for my 09 Bose with Nav and Crutchfield has always been very good with price and customer service. They recommended the Kenwood DNX893S the unit was 699 and after tax and the additional wiring needs it comes to 767. They had no replacements for the subs in the door but offered 2 for the upper and the 2 rear, I won't get them yet. As far as Nav goes I don't really use it for directions unless I get lost or whatever but I do like having the ability to look over and see the screen with the info it provides, street names, towns etc.
Go with component speakers in the doors, and 5-1/4" coaxials in the rear. You can supplement with a sub in the back for better sound. I went with JL Audio Z-series in my doors, but I wasn't concerned about cost when I went that route. JL Audio has less expensive, but still great sounding component speakers.
The following users liked this post:
FWC (02-11-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:54 AM
noturbo408
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out my thread below. I've listed everything I bought. I am a fan of a head unit with a rotary volume ****, so that's why I chose the older model Kenwood DNX573S. This unit comes with video inputs for front and back, HDMI, built in NAV (sensor works great so far hidden under the center speaker cover), Apple Carplay, Android Auto. Best all around deck for your buck after all my research. Sound quality seems better so far. Only negatives are the glare that I get and always having to Agree with the disclaimer every time I turn on the car, but I think all units do this now.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-videos.html

Bonus thread to cover your newly installed head unit.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-install.html
2008Callaway (02-06-2020)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:18 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
.... there will always be those who feel they are privileged, rules are for others, decorum or respect for others be dammed, and need to color outsides the lines.

To the OP, Crutchfield is the answer to your needs, here is a good primer.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-EB7Eh7...-corvette.html
Thanks for the link. I do follow the rules; and I also use common sense. If you read all the responses, you'll see how it helps not only the OP, but many others who are either sharing info or gaining info about the stereo upgrades to C6 - which is the end goal for most threads....gaining info.

Originally Posted by FWC
I wonder if there are any steps people take, who own Verts to improve the overall sound system.

Originally Posted by ScottMA64
I'm going to be replacing mine with the Kenwood DMX905S. It was just released last month so it has been out of stock or on back order with most places. It has all the features i'm looking and not looking for. Don't need nav or dvd capability.

Scott
Quite a few people don't care about Nav much, since the phones do it for us anyways. I too feel the clarity in music and the system being a lil upgraded (with back up cam) would be the way to go.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:22 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by noturbo408
Check out my thread below. I've listed everything I bought. I am a fan of a head unit with a rotary volume ****, so that's why I chose the older model Kenwood DNX573S. This unit comes with video inputs for front and back, HDMI, built in NAV (sensor works great so far hidden under the center speaker cover), Apple Carplay, Android Auto. Best all around deck for your buck after all my research. Sound quality seems better so far. Only negatives are the glare that I get and always having to Agree with the disclaimer every time I turn on the car, but I think all units do this now.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-videos.html

Bonus thread to cover your newly installed head unit.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-install.html
The front cam idea is brilliant. I've seen those on BMWs. This could save your car for pulling out of a blind spot. I've been considering that too. Cam itself is only $13, but I wonder if you need special kind of head unit & installation procedures.

Good stuff...
Old 02-12-2018, 07:34 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
I wonder if there are any steps people take, who own Verts to improve the overall sound system.
Mine is a vert. I replaced all of the Bose system with the Kenwood head unit, JL Audio component speakers in the doors, 5-1/4" coaxials in the rear, and a pair of 10" subs in the trunk in custom enclosures molded to fit in the corners of the trunk. I mounted a 900W JL Audio amp behind the passenger seat along with the crossovers from the component speakers. It sounds great now when rolling down the highway with the top down.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:05 PM
hollowbrook
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Mine is a vert. I replaced all of the Bose system with the Kenwood head unit, JL Audio component speakers in the doors, 5-1/4" coaxials in the rear, and a pair of 10" subs in the trunk in custom enclosures molded to fit in the corners of the trunk. I mounted a 900W JL Audio amp behind the passenger seat along with the crossovers from the component speakers. It sounds great now when rolling down the highway with the top down.
i bet you do hear it with the top down. im getting the custom enclosures behind the seats from jl need trunk for golf clubs expensive but is what it is doing 6.5 hybrid audio components in the doors will lose rear speakers center channel is a game time decision getting it done tommorrow we shall see i guess
2008Callaway (12-06-2019)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Doc_Ox
Heel & Toe

I'm narrowing down my search for the radio...currently considering the Pioneer AVH-2330NEX and the AVH-1330NEX, but I haven't made a decision yet. The AVH-2330 provides the ability to tilt the screen, which appears to be an important feature according to other posts on this thread.

Before I pull the trigger, I would like to make a decision on the backup camera. I'm considering the Crux CUL-06, which is a flush-mount camera that I think could provide a nice, factory-like look.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249CUL06/Crux-CUL-06.html

I'm considering mounting it just above the license plate (see arrow in image) and somewhat adjacent to the trunk-release button. Is this a feasible and/or advisable location? If not, I guess I'll go with a camera design that mounts directly to the license plate, which I assume would be much easier to mount. If possible, I prefer to avoid making any significant modifications to the frame (i.e., drilling, cutting, etc.).

Any thoughts?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:44 PM
noturbo408
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Doc_Ox
I'm narrowing down my search for the radio...currently considering the Pioneer AVH-2330NEX and the AVH-1330NEX, but I haven't made a decision yet. The AVH-2330 provides the ability to tilt the screen, which appears to be an important feature according to other posts on this thread.

Before I pull the trigger, I would like to make a decision on the backup camera. I'm considering the Crux CUL-06, which is a flush-mount camera that I think could provide a nice, factory-like look.

I'm considering mounting it just above the license plate (see arrow in image) and somewhat adjacent to the trunk-release button. Is this a feasible and/or advisable location? If not, I guess I'll go with a camera design that mounts directly to the license plate, which I assume would be much easier to mount. If possible, I prefer to avoid making any significant modifications to the frame (i.e., drilling, cutting, etc.).

Any thoughts?
you wouldn’t want to block that area because it’s where you use your key to unlock the truck and access your door unlock if your batttery dies. Did you see my video for the rear camera mount?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Doc_Ox
Heel & Toe

you wouldn’t want to block that area because it’s where you use your key to unlock the truck and access your door unlock if your batttery dies. Did you see my video for the rear camera mount?

Doh. Is it obvious that I haven't had the 'joy' of a dead battery yet?! Knock on wood.

Thanks for the head-up. I took the photo quickly this morning before work and haven't had a chance to inspect the possible locations under the hatch. I'll check out your videos for inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:27 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway DrDon
I am just getting ready to do the same project. Crutchfield has a questioner to fill out where you can list your stereo requirements and they will recommend the best unit. I just did this last week and they recommended the Pioneer AVH - 2330NEX. I was looking for rear and front video inputs, apple CarPlay, and the ability to display waze. Was not looking for built in Nav since I can use my phone. I am holding out for the new Kenwood DDX9705S which should come out next month. The two reasons I want the Kenwood, 1. It has the Capactive screen which from my research is very important in viewing the screen in a convertible, and 2. it will also have the link to view waze navigation on the screen. Crutchfield has been very helpful in answering my many e-mailed questions within one day. I also considering replacing the rear and top door speakers, and they have been helpful on that topic. I choose the Echomaster CAM-LF3B-N backup camera . Good video on Youtube "My favorite and best backup camera from Echo Master".
Also since the console trim was coming off, I installed a MGW shifter, which I finished yesterday , very easy to install by watching the Youtube videos. Like you I was getting bored and needed a winter project! Keep us posted on your progress>
This is something I'd like to do "one of these days" too although it might be a couple of years. Sure would like a backup camera and Garmin GPS.

Curious just what the "the link to view waze navigation on the screen" does exactly. Is it overlaying the Waze police/breakdown/traffic data on top of the NAV screen or two screens side by side or something else entirely?

Also, I've got a '13 with the factory Bose NAV. Is there anyway to use the factory microphone, GPS antenna and satellite radio antenna? I'd like to use as much factory equipment as possible. Same goes for the USB port.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:14 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

After reading the Crutchfield deal, I see that the doors have 3 1/2 in mids/tweeters.

I wonder if anyone has done an upgrade but kept the base head unit? I think the bass is fine but perhaps a little more depth, definition and clarity might be an improvement.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:58 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
After reading the Crutchfield deal, I see that the doors have 3 1/2 in mids/tweeters.

I wonder if anyone has done an upgrade but kept the base head unit? I think the bass is fine but perhaps a little more depth, definition and clarity might be an improvement.

Simply having a good updated HU will give you much better sound out of the stock speakers. A HU with a good equalizer will do a lot for those stockers. Upgrading the speakers without a new HU is throwing good money at bad, in my opinion.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by danzio56
Simply having a good updated HU will give you much better sound out of the stock speakers. A HU with a good equalizer will do a lot for those stockers. Upgrading the speakers without a new HU is throwing good money at bad, in my opinion.
thanks, you have experience?

I am not planning to change the head unit.
SRQ Vette (02-20-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc_Ox

Any thoughts?
Be sure to watch the YouTube video I suggested on the echo master license plate camera. Nice clean look. Black or chrome. Crutchfield did not have it but amazon did. The 3 part wire made installation easy. Very small connection that’s makes it easy to route.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

I'd also like to keep the center speaker to be able to hear my cell phone when I Bluetooth. Should I upgrade the center 3.5 too?

I am guessing the risk of keeping the OEM center is the efficiency difference of the OEM and aftermarket speakers. If the OEM is louder than the new door speakers, it would be a real problem.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem with the rest since I can adjust the rears with the fader and woofers with the tone control.

if anyone has changed out the door 3.5 speakers, I could use advice.

thanks.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 PM
noturbo408
Intermediate

I got these in the past and thought they made a difference. I changed both door speakers and the center channel with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JHMU8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JHMU8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
LowRyter (02-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Stereo for C6

Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

I got these in the past and thought they made a difference. I changed both door speakers and the center channel with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I suppose I'd have a spare if they are sold in pairs?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:21 AM
noturbo408
Intermediate

I suppose I'd have a spare if they are sold in pairs?
Yeah, you'll have one extra.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:28 AM
noturbo408
Intermediate

Yeah, you'll have one extra.
I take it back, it's been so long that I forgot that I only changed the two door ones. I "think" the center speaker is also a 3.5" though.
LowRyter (02-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo for C6