C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise Cancelling Headphones

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:40 PM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by montman

I don't see many fire trucks or ambulances where I plan to use them. Just bugs n bovine. Welcome to West Texas.

It's your Vette, drive it the way you want. Legal or not, probably 1/4 of our Vettes have something illegal on them anyways, including mine. De-cat anyone? My only problem is you just totally ruined this beautiful landscape with the idea of drowning out the V-8 with a set of headphones. This is where I would open up the NPP and turn the stereo off.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Put a pair of ear muffs on - do you think you hear as well as without them? And those are pretty darned noise/sound-porous compared to audio earphones. That's not a poor assumption or being a self appointed whatever. It's logic and fact.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:08 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
When those stereos start covering your ears you might have a point. Until then.....not so much.
I notice it doesn't take much to turn your crank, Ed. I wouldn't guess that you're an engineer tho....These earbuds cancel noise. The example phones didn't "cover your ears".

You don't wear ear plugs when you ride your motorcycle? ??? ?

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-23-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
Put a pair of ear muffs on - do you think you hear as well as without them? And those are pretty darned noise/sound-porous compared to audio earphones. That's not a poor assumption or being a self appointed whatever. It's logic and fact.
I am not sure where you're coming from. Cancelling noise improves hearing.

If I driver is hearing loud wind noise and turning the stereo to 11, he ain't hearing trafic.

If the ear buds (or the noise cancelling stereo) is eliminating most of the wind noise and the stereo is turned to 3, the driver will hear much more around him.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
I notice it doesn't take much to turn your crank, Ed. I wouldn't guess that you're an engineer tho....These earbuds cancel noise. The example phones didn't "cover your ears".

You don't wear ear plugs when you ride your motorcycle? ??? ?
I just point out faults in logic when I see them; the OP was talking about headphones, you brought up a car stereo, and no, I never wear ear plugs while riding.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:34 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

I just point out faults in logic when I see them; the OP was talking about headphones, you brought up a car stereo, and no, I never wear ear plugs while riding.
First, it was earbuds

Second, what does it matter since it was noise cancelling, not sound cancelling.

Third, I wear ATGAT when I ride and that includes ear plugs. I can promise that it will save your hearing and you will hear traffic when you ride- you can thank me later.

Fourth, perhaps your logic isn't the best when you make faulty assumptions and have only been thanked 25 times in 10,000 posts. When you ratio is 70 thanks for 1000 posts like mine, perhaps your logic might be borne true?

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-23-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:41 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

First, it was earbuds
No, it wasn't.
Along the same logic, many new cars have Noise Cancelling sound deadening built into their stereo systems!
This clearly states STEREO.

Fourth, perhaps your logic isn't the best when you make faulty assumptions and have only been thanked 25 times in 10,000 posts. When you ratio is 70 thanks for 1000 posts like mine, perhaps your logic might be borne true?
I've been thanked 598 times in 482 posts, of which they are all from just the past two years because that's when I came back after a year hiatus, and the thanks system wasn't in place when I was on here before that. Maybe you should pay better attention.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

No, it wasn't.

This clearly states STEREO.

I've been thanked 598 times in 482 posts, of which they are all from just the past two years because that's when I came back after a year hiatus, and the thanks system wasn't in place when I was on here before that. Maybe you should pay better attention.
my bad on the thanks. 600 for 10000....6% I misread your icon. so sorry.

and .... it looks like I was thanked a lot more that I thought, nearly 100 in 1000 posts......10%.

But it's still noise cancellation, not sound cancellation. So you perhaps until someone actually has experienced it, you might hold off on the judgement?

And I still recommend you wear earplugs when you ride your motorcycle -along with all the other gear. ATGATT

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-23-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:24 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

All these comments make me want to just go out and get a $350.00 pair of Sony or Bose headphones and see what happens. I work in an oil refinery. When I'm standing next to some very loud air compressors, I can actually understand people calling me on the radio better with foam ear plugs in. I really doubt that would be the case with noise cancelling headphones. In the store, I couldn't believe how they totally blocked the background music and voices. When I turned the music up, wow! And yes, i love the V8 sound too. A time for everything!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:26 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

my bad on the thanks. 600 for 10000....6% I misread your icon. so sorry.

and .... it looks like I was thanked a lot more that I thought, nearly 100 in 1000 posts......10%.
What part of "just the last two years" and "the thanks system didn't exist before" did you not understand? I had over 9k posts when I came back two years ago. That makes just about 600 thanks in about 1k posts. That looks like 6:10 to me, otherwise called 60%.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 02-23-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:47 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

geees Ed, I said I was sorry.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

All these comments make me want to just go out and get a $350.00 pair of Sony or Bose headphones and see what happens. I work in an oil refinery. When I'm standing next to some very loud air compressors, I can actually understand people calling me on the radio better with foam ear plugs in. I really doubt that would be the case with noise cancelling headphones. In the store, I couldn't believe how they totally blocked the background music and voices. When I turned the music up, wow! And yes, i love the V8 sound too. A time for everything!
For sure you can hear better with earplugs in a high noise environment. That's why I wear them on a motorcycle and thought they were getting an unfair rap here.

You might check the $20 Noise Cancelling earbuds system listed above instead of the Bose.

Heck I paid $75 for my custom latex earplugs. I was thinking about the $20 system but not sure they would fit under my helmet.

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-23-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:29 PM
montman
Pro

For sure you can hear better with earplugs in a high noise environment. That's why I wear them on a motorcycle and thought they were getting an unfair rap here.

You might check the $20 Noise Cancelling earbuds system listed above instead of the Bose.

Heck I paid $75 for my custom latex earplugs. I was thinking about the $20 system but not sure they would fit under my helmet.
I'm not sure how well the ear buds would stop the wind noise. Plus, I need Bluetooth for music from my phone. The Bose headphones are very soft and comfy, but the Sony seemed to sound better.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:37 AM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Is anyone listening to music with cordless noise cancelling headphones while driving with the top off/down? I tried some Bose and Sony on at Best Buy and its unbelievable how good they sound, and how well they block noise. But before I lay out $300+, I'm wondering how they do with the wind noise and buffeting. I would only use them on the back roads. I hope this question doesn't cause anyone heartburn like my last one did
Are you retarded?
Old 02-24-2018, 07:18 AM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Who cares about the legality of it. I hope you used to people yelling Frank's and beans at you though because you will look special cruising down the roadways
Old 02-24-2018, 09:42 AM
montman
Pro

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
Are you retarded?
Deaf people are allowed to drive. Many states allow headphones while driving. Did you read all my posts and see the photos? You know how many elderly people I see driving who can barely see over the wheel? Do you really think an 89 year old woman will be able to stop or steer a Lincoln if the engine dies because she forgot to put gas in it? Drunk driver kill 14000 per year and leave a bunch in wheelchairs. How many have been killed because of headphones on a deserted back road? Really, if you can find 1 case, I will think twice about this. Maybe we are all retarded for leaving our house and sharing the road with the really dangerous drivers. Look at the big picture my friend.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:03 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm with ya. What's the difference with headphones as opposed to someone playing their radios loud? Not one thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Noise Cancelling Headphones

Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 AM
Chris J
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet

Really bad idea Personally I cant wait for the weather to be good enough to take the targa top off and hit the road and enjoy the sounds of my Corvette
Old 02-24-2018, 11:45 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

I hope your friend is doing well. If you scroll through the whole thread, there is a photo of the type of roads were they would be used - not in town - no danger to anyone. They are legal in Texas and New Mexico where I drive.
Thanks, my friend has recovered since it happened years ago, but suffered back and neck injury.

In California, we can only wear one earphone/earbud while riding a bike or driving a car. I guess it depends on how much traffic congestion there is in one's state for law makers decide the legality of earphones.

Good luck and be safe!

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 02-24-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:53 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chris J

Really bad idea Personally I cant wait for the weather to be good enough to take the targa top off and hit the road and enjoy the sounds of my Corvette
it's pretty loud with the roof off....I really can't hear a damned thing on the highway....

.... if I could get a headset that cancelled the noise and improved my hearing so I could hear traffic, horns, the radio at lower volume, and saves my hearing, wouldn't that be an improvement for me? It seems to work when I wear earplugs on my motorcycle.

And you can still do what you want.

Perhaps someone that actually has done this can share their experiences vs those that haven't tried it but have their mind's made up?

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-24-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Noise Cancelling Headphones