why do people bash on automatics - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do people bash on automatics

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #1  
speedy08
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default why do people bash on automatics

my 08 auto vette is a beastt. honestly its perfect for the streets and really really shifts fast in sport mode
speedy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #2  
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member
 
Turbo6TA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,309
Thanked 376 Times in 293 Posts
Default

'Why do people bash on automatics' ?

Because they are 'purists'

And there is nothing wrong with that ... However, my GS is an automatic because I have become too [lazy] to shift gears and wear my leg out pushing the clutch in and out continuously in heavy stop and go traffic.

And to be honest, the A6 cars will usually give a quicker 1/4 mile ET than the M6s.

Anyway, it's nice that we still have a choice in the Corvette.
Turbo6TA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbo6TA For This Useful Post:
Gotta-Qik-C6 (04-25-2018), thunder1951 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #3  
Frankie15
CF Senior Member
 
Frankie15's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: Clearwater Florida
Posts: 1,233
Thanked 199 Times in 170 Posts
Default

I don't really have anything against those who drive automatics. Some people also drive automatics because they are physically unable to drive a manual.

I just strongly prefer a manual because driving an automatic sports car to me is pretty boring.
Frankie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Frankie15 For This Useful Post:
45gunner (04-24-2018), airmed2 (04-25-2018), Dr Bee (04-25-2018), Dutch08 (04-25-2018), marinablu67 (04-24-2018), Shaolin Crane (04-25-2018), Smitsd (04-24-2018), Welker1 (04-24-2018), ZZ06 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #4  
Corvette_Ed
CF Senior Member
 
Corvette_Ed's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth
Posts: 11,105
Thanked 774 Times in 623 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie15 View Post
I don't really have anything against those who drive automatics. Some people also drive automatics because they are physically unable to drive a manual.

I just strongly prefer a manual because driving an automatic sports car to me is pretty boring.
I wanted a manual because it's just more fun to me to drive on the streets. If I was building a 1/4 mile car I'd go with an automatic for the consistency.
Corvette_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corvette_Ed For This Useful Post:
45gunner (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #5  
BigBlue
CF Senior Member
 
BigBlue's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Richmond Texas
Posts: 1,007
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I donít hate autos. I just prefer manual in a sports car.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBlue For This Useful Post:
45gunner (04-24-2018), ByRiver (05-08-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #6  
Bruze
CF Senior Member
 
Bruze's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS
Posts: 6,141
Thanked 558 Times in 458 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
'Why do people bash on automatics' ?

Because they are 'purists'

And there is nothing wrong with that ... However, my GS is an automatic because I have become too [lazy] to shift gears and wear my leg out pushing the clutch in and out continuously in heavy stop and go traffic.

And to be honest, the A6 cars will usually give a quicker 1/4 mile ET than the M6s.

Anyway, it's nice that we still have a choice in the Corvette.
Same here -- laziness after shifting things all my life.

Some young people don't believe me when I tell them, but your viewpoints about a LOT of things in life change as you age.

Muhammed Ali put it better, paraphrased: "Any man who views things at fifty the same as he did at twenty, has wasted thirty years of his life."
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruze For This Useful Post:
Gotta-Qik-C6 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #7  
Mcrider
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Mcrider's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,406
Thanked 118 Times in 96 Posts
Default

People bashed automatics right up until Porsche unleashed the PDK. Today's auto's shift faster than manuals. Our local dealer won't even order a manual transmission Camaro or Corvette unless it's a special order.
Mcrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #8  
C6ToGo
CF Senior Member
 
C6ToGo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Pearland / Houston Tx
Posts: 1,887
Thanks: 0
Thanked 133 Times in 110 Posts
Default

I thought the days of pushing in a clutch are numbered.

The C8 is supposed to only come with dual clutch paddle shift.

Do Ferraris have clutch pedals?
C6ToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #9  
Frankie15
CF Senior Member
 
Frankie15's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: Clearwater Florida
Posts: 1,233
Thanked 199 Times in 170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
People bashed automatics right up until Porsche unleashed the PDK. Today's auto's shift faster than manuals. Our local dealer won't even order a manual transmission Camaro or Corvette unless it's a special order.
It's not really about what shifts faster or is better performing. The autos are faster at the drag strip. I am not contesting that. I don't care how much faster an auto is over a manual. I didn't choose a manual to be the fastest. I want a manual because it's a blast to drive. I just don't really enjoy going WOT in a car and just sitting there.

Last edited by Frankie15; 04-24-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Frankie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie15 For This Useful Post:
ZZ06 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #10  
FloridaC6
CF Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Lakeland Florida
Posts: 88
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Had a fifth gen Camaro SS M6 and sixth gen Mustang GT M6. both cars were very notchy shifting. Did the MGW shifter, full synthetic fluid and SS clutch lines to both. Camaro was much better but was still notchy. The Mustang completely sucked. The MT-82 in that car was garbage. Got tired of taking a chance and hoping I get a good one. For my C6 I didnít want to go thru any of that again. I went A6 and the car drives and shifts perfect.

Last edited by FloridaC6; 04-24-2018 at 10:32 PM.
FloridaC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #11  
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member
 
GARYFINN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2008
Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Posts: 38,658
Thanked 68 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Automatic = the car drives you
Manual= you drive the car

Either one is fine in a Corvette but I prefer manual.

Last edited by GARYFINN; 04-24-2018 at 08:59 PM.
GARYFINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #12  
ruxvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ruxvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: T-Town WA
Posts: 8,387
Thanked 569 Times in 486 Posts
C6 of Month Finalist 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
...Because they are 'purists'...
No. because they are manly men.
Aw, c'mon, I'm just funnin ya.
Some of my best friends drive automatics. Nah, they don't. Just funnin ya, again.
Seriously, I couldn't give a rat's *** what transmission you have.
ruxvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #13  
Mcrider
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Mcrider's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,406
Thanked 118 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie15 View Post
It's not really about what shifts faster or is better performing. The autos are faster at the drag strip. I am not contesting that. I don't care how much faster an auto is over a manual. I didn't choose a manual to be the fastest. I want a manual because it's a blast to drive. I just don't really enjoy going WOT in a car and just sitting there.
I loved manuals when I was younger and I actually changed my own clutches. Not sure that would be a job I would be up to today.
Mcrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #14  
BigBlue
CF Senior Member
 
BigBlue's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Richmond Texas
Posts: 1,007
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I will add that the new autos are light years better than others. I remember my daughters 08 Infiniti g37s with an auto. Red line was like 7000 and you had to hit the paddle at 6000 in order for it to shift at red line. My sons 16 Charger 392 is auto and itíll bark 2nd gear shifting manually. But like I said earlier, I prefer stick in sports cars. It really is just a whole different feeling.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #15  
89Roadster
CF Senior Member
 
89Roadster's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Red State America
Posts: 13,400
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

In my 20's I had to have a manual, today have no interest in shifting especially in traffic.
89Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #16  
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: Del Boca Vista FL
Posts: 5,337
Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Let us not forget the Corvette started life as a two speed automatic.
BADBIRDCAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #17  
ruxvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ruxvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: T-Town WA
Posts: 8,387
Thanked 569 Times in 486 Posts
C6 of Month Finalist 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE View Post
Let us not forget the Corvette started life as a two speed automatic.
And your point is...?
ruxvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #18  
R&L's C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
R&L's C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 14,583
Thanked 320 Times in 202 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxvette View Post
And your point is...?
The real "purists" should be driving autos...
R&L's C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #19  
grady
CF Senior Member
 
grady's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,004
Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I prefer a manual in any car especially a “performance” one.

My dad’s Hyundai Sonata turbo has the paddle shifters and I just can’t get used to working them but I guess I will have to at some point.
grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #20  
Jeff T.
CF Senior Member
 
Jeff T.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington Park Racecourse IL
Posts: 6,724
Thanked 428 Times in 378 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18
Default

Mines a manual because she can't drive it!!

That way I don't have to hear "I didn't do it on purpose"!!
Jeff T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • why do people bash on automatics
  •  
     
    Reply


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 AM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: