C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the appeal of all this carbon fiber?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:55 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Actually, it only matter to one person.....me
Other's that share my passion for the specific model of car I drive probably notice the carbon fiber.
People who partake in various racing events definitely notice, as it's performance oriented.
People outside of the car community that find the car attractive let me know.....people that don't notice or care about car's, or Corvettes,, say nothing.

So, the answer to the question "What is the appeal of carbon fiber ?" , is it's varied.

Some wish to emulate the look of their favorite race car, without the expense.
Nothing wrong with that.
A "fad" ? Until carbon fiber is supplanted by a superior product, I suspect exposed carbon fiber, in all its forms, will continue to be a popular option for many to install/use and/or emulate.
I just said that about the decorative stuff. I totally get the point that to make a car faster, increase HP, cut weight, or both.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:22 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

well... the fake carbon radio surround on my '08 looks better than the fake aluminum (silver color) on the previous model. Actually a little more CF wouldn't hurt.

Zebrano wood would look nicer still.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I wanted contrast. Not real CF obviously, but basically the same look. I plan on doing a front splitter and side skirts the same way.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:12 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 150 Posts

Just bought a genuine carbon fiber ZR1 splitter from a fellow forum member. I’m gonna paint it black.

Two reasons: it will match the rest of the black paint on my car, and 2) because I can.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:42 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Some mods catch on and others not so much. I've also seen a few Harley's decked out in CF so it's not just for sports cars. I didn't have any CF on my Vette but bought a CF steering wheel recently. Been adding a little here and there with the interior since installing the S. wheel.

I like a few of the trim pieces but there are a few I may change back to the color matched.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:16 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
Some mods catch on and others not so much. I've also seen a few Harley's decked out in CF so it's not just for sports cars. I didn't have any CF on my Vette but bought a CF steering wheel recently. Been adding a little here and there with the interior since installing the S. wheel.

I like a few of the trim pieces but there are a few I may change back to the color matched.
Love the carbon wheels !!!

Here's mine

Old 06-22-2018, 09:28 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Yes they sure are nice!
Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Here's mine

That wheel is fantastic!!!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:00 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Here's mine

I didn't know it was possible to become sexually aroused from a steering wheel until now.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Isn't added functionality or appearance enhancement the ONLY reason people make modifications though? What other reason is there? That was kind of my point regarding this thread. I'm not trying to sound mean or "triggered" by any means. I'm just trying to understand threads like these is all.
Maybe you're reading a lil too much into this.....I believe the topic is started simply(as I like to put it)as a way to initiate some good ole cheap conversation. Nothing wrong with that....
The following users liked this post:
Mcrider (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:21 PM
Twin6s
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
The Harley world went absolutely bonkers over "billet" EVERYTHING and the amount of money spent on billet parts had to be in the stratosphere. Damn near everything you could imagine could be had in "billet" and it really became nothing more than a high dollar fashion accessory for the "rubbies" (rich urban bikers) to brag about with their bar hoppers.

Come into the C6/C7 world and it's carbon fiber, and I am curious as to the appeal. I understand the strength/weight properties that are highly beneficial to racing applications, but the vast majority of these products are being sold to cars that will never see the street. In fact this "trend" has spawned a "faux" CF look where people are having fiberglass/ABS parts wrapped to look like CF.

I am not knocking anybody, just curious as to why the CF parts or look are appealing to those who have installed it, especially those who wrap parts to get that look.

Legit question. Do you have custom parts on your Harley. If so,why did you pick those particular parts? Is it blacked out? If so, for God's sake why?

Fact is, Corvettes are really similar to Harley's. They have their own "tax". I should know, I have multiples of each. I do parts and accessories that speak to me and give my ride the look I want. I don't care if everyone on the planet hates it. I think its cool.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:31 PM
94Green
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default B

The Harley world went absolutely bonkers over "billet" EVERYTHING and the amount of money spent on billet parts had to be in the stratosphere. Damn near everything you could imagine could be had in "billet" and it really became nothing more than a high dollar fashion accessory for the "rubbies" (rich urban bikers) to brag about with their bar hoppers.

Come into the C6/C7 world and it's carbon fiber, and I am curious as to the appeal. I understand the strength/weight properties that are highly beneficial to racing applications, but the vast majority of these products are being sold to cars that will never see the street. In fact this "trend" has spawned a "faux" CF look where people are having fiberglass/ABS parts wrapped to look like CF.

I am not knocking anybody, just curious as to why the CF parts or look are appealing to those who have installed it, especially those who wrap parts to get that look.
Because, like black wheels, it looks like absolute crap. PERIOD
Old 06-22-2018, 11:48 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 94Green
Because, like black wheels, it looks like absolute crap. PERIOD
Here we go again.

Yup, people put black wheels and carbon fiber on their cars because it looks like crap. Makes sense.

Last edited by Frankie15; 06-22-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:50 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I don't mind carbon fiber but I have never purchased any for cars or bikes. I'm not a mod guy. I just enjoy them. Be it bikes or cars.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:26 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Why? Two reasons. Because I like it and I dont give a damn what other people think, its not their car

Last edited by RACE U; 06-23-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:18 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin6s
Legit question. Do you have custom parts on your Harley. If so,why did you pick those particular parts? Is it blacked out? If so, for God's sake why?

Fact is, Corvettes are really similar to Harley's. They have their own "tax". I should know, I have multiples of each. I do parts and accessories that speak to me and give my ride the look I want. I don't care if everyone on the planet hates it. I think its cool.
I see exactly your point and it's also mine. In the Harley world it's about customizing a bike to make it "yours" and very seldom do you ever see two bikes alike. In the Corvette world it seems like there is very little "customization" and one hell of a lot of the cars do look a like. How many "batman" fully blacked out cars are original anymore? People see what others have and want to be like that. It's not about being unique, it's about fitting it, IMO

It seems like more people buy "reproduction Corvette" after market wheels than they do aftermarkets with unique designs. WTF is with that?

I emailed a company about some of their parts and asked why they had such an abundance of aftermarket stuff for camaro's, mustang's, and challenger's, and not corvettes. His response was that corvette people don't want unique and won't support the aftermarket parts industry like owners of other performance cars will.

What a statement! In short, he is saying corvette people want their cars to look like everybody else's and after being on here a couple of months, I see a great deal of truth to this.

Hence the question about carbon fiber. It seems like everything imaginable is offered in CF. Those who can't afford it get cheaper pieces wrapped to give the illusion of it being CF.

There are some badass cars on here, most recently the thread about the blue widebody C6 with lambo doors has been great. That'ss a car a person will notice and remember.

I just find it humorous that if a wing is mentioned, the first word one hears is "ricer", yet these same people most likely have carbon fiber aero parts on a car that will never see a track.

Huh?

More food for thought.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:51 AM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I just find it humorous that if a wing is mentioned, the first word one hears is "ricer", yet these same people most likely have carbon fiber aero parts on a car that will never see a track.

Huh?

More food for thought.
Boy, now that is an extremely interesting observation right there !! Unfortunately, more food than most will want to think about......flamers will flame the very thing in which they are to blame.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the appeal of all this carbon fiber?

Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Huh?

More food for thought.
Why does a car need to live at the track to warrant carbon fiber? You do realize that the C6 Z06 comes from the factory with carbon fiber front fenders, right?

Carbon fiber pieces look far better than their black counterparts (IMO) and also weigh less. It's a win win. Why is the appeal difficult to understand? It's silly to think CF is only warranted when the car lives at the track. Might as well not even add performance mods either if it won't be at the track.

Last edited by Frankie15; 06-23-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:35 AM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Carbon fiber.......the new "billet" .LOL

Last edited by SSWEET; 06-23-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:55 PM
Twin6s
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I see exactly your point and it's also mine. In the Harley world it's about customizing a bike to make it "yours" and very seldom do you ever see two bikes alike. In the Corvette world it seems like there is very little "customization" and one hell of a lot of the cars do look a like. How many "batman" fully blacked out cars are original anymore? People see what others have and want to be like that. It's not about being unique, it's about fitting it, IMO

It seems like more people buy "reproduction Corvette" after market wheels than they do aftermarkets with unique designs. WTF is with that?

I emailed a company about some of their parts and asked why they had such an abundance of aftermarket stuff for camaro's, mustang's, and challenger's, and not corvettes. His response was that corvette people don't want unique and won't support the aftermarket parts industry like owners of other performance cars will.

What a statement! In short, he is saying corvette people want their cars to look like everybody else's and after being on here a couple of months, I see a great deal of truth to this.

Hence the question about carbon fiber. It seems like everything imaginable is offered in CF. Those who can't afford it get cheaper pieces wrapped to give the illusion of it being CF.

There are some badass cars on here, most recently the thread about the blue widebody C6 with lambo doors has been great. That'ss a car a person will notice and remember.

Huh?

More food for thought.

I have seen the suggestion on here several times so far, but the comment "Do you like it, that's all that matters." makes a lot of sense to me.
I have seen some I like, I have seen some I don't really care for. In the larger scope of things, my opinion really means squat except for the car I drive and mod.
When it comes to Corvettes, I can see what you are saying, but I am not sure what else there is to do with the cars. Paint, spoilers/wings, side skirts, what else?
There are a lot of cars that look similar. I have an Inferno Orange and to contrast the orange it has carbon fiber accessory parts on it. I'm not sure what other colors would contrast IO and wouldn't look gaudy.
If the blue car is the one I'm thinking about, then it looked pretty good, except for the ghetto *** bolt on fender flares, but it's that guys car. I'll keep me opinion to myself.
That he liked it is all that matters.

I myself want a Corvette painted in Laguna Orange with orange chrome racing stripes (both Harley colors) and carbon fiber accessories, but that would be obnoxious.

People worry way to much about what other people think.

Last edited by Twin6s; 06-23-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: ETA

Quick Reply: What is the appeal of all this carbon fiber?