C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:02 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm a paper pusher for one of the biggest furniture companies in the US. I don't make a whole lot. I'm single and I don't spend much. I saved up for about 3yrs and paid my 2008 base in full. I'm aiming for a C7Z in a few years.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Retired. 52. (Retired at 46)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:55 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

63 Retired professional firefighter (Captain/EMT). Retired 6 years ago after 26+ years in the fire service. Working 24 hrs on 48 hrs off gave me plenty of time to work 2 more full time jobs for over 10 years. Have owned 10 Corvettes over the years, currently have an 06 Z06. No vacations, no frills, no fun except the Corvette, plus lived in a small mobile home for 18 yrs.
The following users liked this post:
fireparamed (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 08:26 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Professional body man. I do all my own work...
I like yo style!!👍
Old 07-18-2018, 09:04 PM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Bought first vette in 2013, 2001 vert, I was 70 yrs. young. Retired now, but worked till I was 74 as a sales agent on the road for a fastener co. Then traded up to a 2012 GS in 2015. My 43 yr old son has the vert now. Cars were paid for when bought

I read somewhere that the average age of a corvette buyer is 59. Very
Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 PM
Jancsi
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought my first vette new in 1974 at 20years old took out a loan. On my fourth corvette now at 64. Retired heavy equipment operator big cranes.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:27 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by GREENKAR

The age buying thing is all over the map varying from 48 to 61. I was 19 when I bought my first one.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I would rather not say what I do for a living, but I will say that I'm 44 years old. I do o.k. as the sole provider for a family of 5 as my wife doesn't work. I got the Corvette as a gift to myself 2 years ago after a few failed attempts to get my hands on a few different 1970 Mach 1's. I figured I might as well spend some of my own money while I have some since everyone else (family) seems to do a good job of spending it for me.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:13 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Cybersecurity Analyst. Wife is an RN.

I had money even when I wasn't making much at age 24. You need to live below your means so you aren't living paycheck to paycheck. That means not spending more than 30% of your monthly pay. I know many people, especially young guys who buy an expensive car like a Corvette. They look good in it, but are always broke and can't do anything but drive it back and forth to work while hoping it doesn't breakdown because they don't have money to get it fixed. I dreamed of owning a Corvette or a Benz, but used that desire to do better in life and get a better paying job.

One word of advice. If you have to add up all your bills for the month to see if you have enough money left over to buy something, then you can't afford it. If your checking account is close to zero at the end of the month, you are broke. If you are thinking of buying a Corvette, but aren't maxing out your 401k contributions, you need to downsize.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:23 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ByRiver

I had money even when I wasn't making much at age 24. You need to live below your means so you aren't living paycheck to paycheck. That means not spending more than 30% of your monthly pay. I know many people, especially young guys who buy an expensive car like a Corvette. They look good in it, but are always broke and can't do anything but drive it back and forth to work while hoping it doesn't breakdown because they don't have money to get it fixed. I dreamed of owning a Corvette or a Benz, but used that desire to do better in life and get a better paying job.

One word of advice. If you have to add up all your bills for the month to see if you have enough money left over to buy something, then you can't afford it. If your checking account is close to zero at the end of the month, you are broke. If you are thinking of buying a Corvette, but aren't maxing out your 401k contributions, you need to downsize.
Good advice ...
Old 07-18-2018, 10:25 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I just didn't do any home repairs
Old 07-18-2018, 10:46 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I worked for an Austrian guy in the mid '70s, who had come to this country in the mid-late '60s. He grew up with hardships that Americans cannot even relate to. His philosophy was: With one (weekly) paycheck, you should be able to pay your mortgage and buy a week's groceries. I don't think many Americans are doing that, especially today.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by gradywhite931127
Hello all, I’ve got kind of a funny question here that I am curious about. I know c6s even at the bargain price you can get them at today, are pretty expensive. The c7s especially are quite a pretty penny. I’m curious as to what you guys do for a living and if it’s not too intrusive to ask, how old the majority of c6 owners in here are. I ask this because I’m 24 going on 25 and have only owned an 87 c4. I’m currently looking into a C6 Grand Sport to buy outright most likely from one of the members on here, but I know it’s not easy to save upwards of 30-37 grand in cash nowadays. Just a curiosity kills the cat type of question in my head lol. ��
The C6 is only expensive if you cannot afford it. If that sounds stupid, or too simple, you do not understand the basics of "affordability". Whether it is a car, or a meal out at a nice restaurant, that thing is "affordable" ONLY if the purchase will not put any strain or risk on your budget. If any such purchase actually strains the budget, then you must decide just how important the purchase is, and weigh that against the degree of risk it places upon your budget. Most people fail to consider the last sentence, choosing instead to manipulate the expression, "I can afford it", when they really mean, "I want it, no matter what,"

I worked in a machine shop, was in the military, was an executive in retail clothing, owned a successful headhunting firm that crashed with the economy in 2008, struggled for five years, then retired, nearly broke. I found ways to make money on the side, received a VA pension, and SS. Though I am at the low end of the spectrum of Vette owners, the purchase of either of my cars did not put a strain on my budget. I am truly blessed to live as I do.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 07-18-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:22 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Loving this feedback from fellow Corvette lovers like myself

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Plastic Surgeon to the movie stars ... Hollywood, Ca

Own 5 McDonald franchises

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
This was taken way before ... when I was then drinking, gambling, snorting cocaine, throwing away all my money, and hanging around with pimps and drug addicts ...

This has to be the funniest response on here lol... but really do you own 5 Mickie D's franchises or are you joking??

[QUOTE=TorchRedLS6;1597621820]Machinist- 32- 2009 ZR1. Bought it for my 31st bday.
QUOTE]

Beautiful!!! That type of power will put shivers down your spine every single time.

Originally Posted by Bruze
I'll be 68 next month, self-employed toolmaker, still working full time because I enjoy it. I could retire if I wanted to but would rather work.

I've always been a one-man operation so I never made a lot of money, but I know how to live frugally -- so my '07 C6 is just a fair-weather toy now that I'm friggin' old, and having it helps with my attempts to not be the richest guy in the graveyard.

Spending less than you earn and investing the difference, over a lifetime (or even less) will serve you well.

Originally Posted by JABCAT

You sir, are a smart man! I love the idea of running one's own business and making a life for themselves without having to answer to a boss.

Exercise Physiologist, college Professor & national Education Manager for a pretty iconic, global organization. Wife is a clinical territory rep for a top medical device company specializing in neurovascular interventions (stroke, brain tumor, etc.). She trains doctors on how to use equipment to save people’s lives. I educate people on how to, hopefully, prevent many of those health issues that lead to chronic disease.

My wife bought me the Corvette 10 days before my 41st birthday & after I bought her her Jeep. The Jeep was quite a bit more than the Corvette so she upgraded my wheels/tires, hood & seats We’re closer to even now.

Awesome careers!! And EXQUISITE automobiles! I'm not a fan of orange but your car really changes my mind!!
Originally Posted by Konrad

Healthcare finance - 37 - 07 Z06
I've had 4 C5s (3 of which were Z06s) before I was finally able to buy the C6Z a few weeks ago. I don't want to speak in general, but I think most of us have taken a significant hit on the wallet (and from the old lady) while purchasing these cars, but it's very rewarding.
You're young enough to make it happen. Consider a C5Z at half the price?
Good luck in your search!
Thank you! The C6Z is so raw its ridiculous, congrats on the purchase!! My dad actually owns a 98 base c5 convertible with 27k miles on it, but the c5 really just doesn't do it for me. I really loved the C6 since it came in production and have dreamed of one ever since, when I was 11 years old lol.

Originally Posted by c6crazy
Building contractor and 57....this is my 3rd corvette..05 DSO with widebody kit and other upgrades...love the car so much that won't part with it for a GS or c7. Plus its paid for..
Paid for is the best part! My dad owned a construction business. Some of the best times of my life working in that business. Awesome car also!

Originally Posted by theandrewo
30. Behavior analyst finishing graduate school. 1st Vette 3mo ago. C6 base. Definitely took out a loan for it though, since I couldn't wait any longer
Congratulations! Pay extra payments so they don't screw you on half the cars value in interest once its said and done and paid off!

Originally Posted by GS982
36, I work in Oil and Gas as a division order analyst. My wife, 38 is a business development manager for an airplane hydraulics manufacturer. The second income is key to having a nice house, toys and not have to worry about making bills every month. If your looking at paying $30K+ cash for a C6 at the age of 24, you're well ahead of me at that stage in life. I've always had bad *** toys, but always had a fat payment to go with them.
Interesting career field. I'm not quite there in the cash department yet but I am working towards it!! HATE car payments lol but they unfortunately sometimes must be.

Originally Posted by See5see6
Self employed. Made OK money and lived beneath my means. While friends of mine were burying themselves in debt I did the opposite. Then I just wrote checks for my Corvettes. But we all spend our hard earned money differently. What I did worked for me. Payments or no payments...........one has to love their Corvettes, right?
Best way to work, for yourself. Amen to that!

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie
I have retired six times so far. I am pushing 72. I wrote a check for this one.
I love that blue.. good pick and retired life seems AMAZING!!

Originally Posted by pagosawingnut
I own a Propane business and am 64
I would love to own my own business one day. Looking into possibly starting a food truck with Armenian foods (I am of Armenian descent) on boardwalks near me. Not sure if you guys are familiar with NJ but I am from Asbury Park NJ and would probably look at running something around that area.

Originally Posted by FiveVettes
Bought my first, new '72, when I received my Navy wings. Last month bought a C6 with some IRA money that was just sitting there, I consider it my 70th birthday present to myself. I've been a retired pilot for 5 years.
Awesome career. Even better birthday gift congrats on the purchase and enjoy every moment of it!!

Originally Posted by rmtt
Engineering Manager in a Specialty Chemical Plant. 44 years old and this is my 4th Corvette.

I've always been a frugal guy....only vices are cars and watches.

Also a little bit of a "Horse-Trader". I've been lucky enough to find 6-7 cars over the last 10 years where their was a divorce or some other financial change/difficulty occurring and able to pick the car up for next to nothing....sometimes doubling my money between selling or trading.

Also managed to do that with undeveloped property a few times.

Plus I keep a tight budget, still base it on what my salary was 12+ years ago even though I've had some pretty good pay raises on my way up the career ladder.

Have coworkers living in $400K+ houses while I still live in the same house I bought 15 years ago for less than $200K.
I like the way you think. I am like you. My girfriend and I got our condo for 110,000 and its a roomy 2 bedroom with all updated amenities and we don't have to do any maintenance (the ups of condo life). Meanwhile, friends we work with all are buying 300,000+ houses. Nothing wrong with that at all, however I could see us possibly living in this condo for the rest of our lives, with our family car, our work car, our sport car, our track car, our corvette, our corvette, and our corvette outside in the parking lot .. by the way I actually was just offered a chemical operator position in a biochemical lab, I turned it down though. How do you feel the career outlook is on this type of field if it all relates to what you do?

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Professional body man. I do all my own work...
LOL what a beauty!!!!

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
Prostitute Tester.......still working full time....Im 61 years old and have an 05 C6 6speed/conv. My 1st Vette was a 1966 C2 327 4sp/conv that I bought for 2500.00 in 1976 when I was 19 years old..
Wow still full time how are you handling all the OT lol, that is great to see the corvette timeline in your life.

Originally Posted by windyC6
Somewhat ashamed to say that I worked retail for 36 years....and no, not selling shoes...LOL. Served me/us well as it paid decent and had good bens. My wife made decent also so between us we did OK. Of course never having children was a big help i'm sure. Nothing fancy, just about average across the board. Got a decent inheritance when the parents passed so we bought a few toys with the C-6 being one of them. Had a few toys before, but just not as nice a ones as now.
No shame here brother whatever pays the bills! I actually am a title searcher right now, not my dream job but it's a steady pay check and is providing for my girlfriend (soon to be wife) and I. Just purchased our first condo in October. Took me about a year to save 12,000 for a down payment and all the fees that go with buying a place. Thankfully, I was still with my parents at the time, so I was able to save at a much quicker pace than now, and took advantage as best I could. Great taste in the C6! The C6 still looks better than any corvette to me.

Originally Posted by Zero_6
I'm a paper pusher for one of the biggest furniture companies in the US. I don't make a whole lot. I'm single and I don't spend much. I saved up for about 3yrs and paid my 2008 base in full. I'm aiming for a C7Z in a few years.
Cash is king. I'm making payments now on my 2015 Mazda. It's against what I've always done, but i didn't have the 15k at the time and wanted a new car. I am making extra 100 weekly payments though and instead of the 6 year loan the dealership so conveniently wants me to pay it off in, I am anticipating paying it off in less than 2. I bought the car in February and the total loan was 14,117.. I am now at 11,200 on a 5.49% interest rate, and that balance is set to go down by 2200, as I just cancelled the extended warranty that the dealer pushed me to get! The C7Z06 seems to have the perfect amount of power where you wont feel the need for anymore.

Originally Posted by Jstan2014
Retired. 52. (Retired at 46)
I commend you. I can only hope to be able to retire at such a prime age!!

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
63 Retired professional firefighter (Captain/EMT). Retired 6 years ago after 26+ years in the fire service. Working 24 hrs on 48 hrs off gave me plenty of time to work 2 more full time jobs for over 10 years. Have owned 10 Corvettes over the years, currently have an 06 Z06. No vacations, no frills, no fun except the Corvette, plus lived in a small mobile home for 18 yrs.
Thank you for your service!! I was in the process of taking a firefighter test for the NJ civil service but in turn realized it wasn't going to be for me, and never went to take the test. I have Type 1 Diabetes and the risks would be too great if sugar was either too low or high during drastic fire scenarios. Work hard, play harder!! Awesome 10 corvettes

Originally Posted by GREENKAR
Bought first vette in 2013, 2001 vert, I was 70 yrs. young. Retired now, but worked till I was 74 as a sales agent on the road for a fastener co. Then traded up to a 2012 GS in 2015. My 43 yr old son has the vert now. Cars were paid for when bought

Awesome, those have got to be the most amazing sunday cruises father and son in their vettes (somewhat racing eachother lol, did this with my father when I had my 87 and he had his 73).

Originally Posted by Jancsi
Bought my first vette new in 1974 at 20years old took out a loan. On my fourth corvette now at 64. Retired heavy equipment operator big cranes.
Originally Posted by saplumr

The age buying thing is all over the map varying from 48 to 61. I was 19 when I bought my first one.
That's an awesome age. I actually purchased my own 72 Opel GT at the age of 18 for $1100 bucks. Needed major overhaul but I did what I had to do changed the carburetor, calipers, rotors, pads, spark plugs and wires, valve covers, fuel pump, almost every hose you can think of, and so on and so forth. It was my poor mans corvette lol. I then got into my 87 corvette at 21. My next step is my TRUE dream car, the C6.

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I would rather not say what I do for a living, but I will say that I'm 44 years old. I do o.k. as the sole provider for a family of 5 as my wife doesn't work. I got the Corvette as a gift to myself 2 years ago after a few failed attempts to get my hands on a few different 1970 Mach 1's. I figured I might as well spend some of my own money while I have some since everyone else (family) seems to do a good job of spending it for me.
It seems as though you are all the provider your family needs and that is what matters. You deserve a car you can get in everyday and feel connected to in ways many people wouldn't ever understand (our corvettes ). Family is also synonymous with hole in your pocket LOL!

I agree with you 100%. At 24, I like to think I am of a similar mindset as you were at 24. Also, awesome career. I actually graduated New Jersey City University in 2016 with a bachelor's degree in National Security Studies.

Originally Posted by RobJoy
I just didn't do any home repairs
Lol, Hey ya gotta spend it somewhere might as well use it towards your daily driver!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:26 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
The C6 is only expensive if you cannot afford it. If that sounds stupid, or too simple, you do not understand the basics of "affordability". Whether it is a car, or a meal out at a nice restaurant, that thing is "affordable" ONLY if the purchase will not put any strain or risk on your budget. If any such purchase actually strains the budget, then you must decide just how important the purchase is, and weigh that against the degree of risk it places upon your budget. Most people fail to consider the last sentence, choosing instead to manipulate the expression, "I can afford it", when they really mean, "I want it, no matter what,"

I worked in a machine shop, was in the military, was an executive in retail clothing, owned a successful headhunting firm that crashed with the economy in 2008, struggled for five years, then retired, nearly broke. I found ways to make money on the side, received a VA pension, and SS. Though I am at the low end of the spectrum of Vette owners, the purchase of either of my cars did not put a strain on my budget. I am truly blessed to live as I do.
Wise advice sir, and agreed 100%. Can't have champagne taste and beer pockets as my dad always tells me lol
Old 07-18-2018, 11:29 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Originally Posted by Bruze
I worked for an Austrian guy in the mid '70s, who had come to this country in the mid-late '60s. He grew up with hardships that Americans cannot even relate to. His philosophy was: With one (weekly) paycheck, you should be able to pay your mortgage and buy a week's groceries. I don't think many Americans are doing that, especially today.
Wow, strong piece of dialogue there. I mentioned before that I am Armenian, I am also Austrian as well lol. Father is Armenian, mother is Austrian.
Bruze (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I sit at home and eat bon-bons.

and prune grapes.

gradywhite931127 (07-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Funny Question

Old 07-18-2018, 11:55 PM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

44 years old. Professional Fire Captain full time working 48 hour shifts followed by 96 off....fly as a paramedic in the medical helicopter for a 2nd job. Only provider for a family of 5. Wife is an incredible money manger. Over the years I’ve worked as many as 3 jobs at a time to pay the mortgage off early and all of the kids sports etc. Found a great deal on a 2005 Daytona Sunset last October that turns heads. Wife told me to get it while I can enjoy it so I did. Every new to us car went to my wife over the years.....this is the first one for me!

Our family goal was to always have enough money in the bank account to pay 6 months of mortgage.....just in case.....figured since my job was so physical it was best to be prepared for a worst case scenario.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:59 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Originally Posted by owc6
I sit at home and eat bon-bons.

and prune grapes.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:02 AM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Originally Posted by fireparamed
44 years old. Professional Fire Captain full time working 48 hour shifts followed by 96 off....fly as a paramedic in the medical helicopter for a 2nd job. Only provider for a family of 5. Wife is an incredible money manger. Over the years I’ve worked as many as 3 jobs at a time to pay the mortgage off early and all of the kids sports etc. Found a great deal on a 2005 Daytona Sunset last October that turns heads. Wife told me to get it while I can enjoy it so I did. Every new to us car went to my wife over the years.....this is the first one for me!

Our family goal was to always have enough money in the bank account to pay 6 months of mortgage.....just in case.....figured since my job was so physical it was best to be prepared for a worst case scenario.
Also thank you for your dedicated service! I would like to pay my mortgage off in about 7-10 years instead of 30. Sounds like you have an amazing wife, and family. God bless!!

Quick Reply: Funny Question