C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light on . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts
Default Check engine light on . . .

Ha, well I knew it had to happen sooner or later -- I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Just last week I commented on some thread that my '07 with 34k miles has been trouble-free and that everything works.

Well it ain't no more. The engine light came on after I started it last night and was heading home. No weird symptoms and no DIC messages.

I plugged my cheap scanner in and got "U0073" and "U0073 P." I Googled them and got a bunch of stuff, wiring problems, loose connectors, etc. It's all jibberish to me.

What to do next? My go-to buddy is out of town for the week.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:29 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Ha, well I knew it had to happen sooner or later -- I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Just last week I commented on some thread that my '07 with 34k miles has been trouble-free and that everything works.

Well it ain't no more. The engine light came on after I started it last night and was heading home. No weird symptoms and no DIC messages.

I plugged my cheap scanner in and got "U0073" and "U0073 P." I Googled them and got a bunch of stuff, wiring problems, loose connectors, etc. It's all jibberish to me.

What to do next? My go-to buddy is out of town for the week.
Could be as simple as low battery voltage. It’s not a catastrophic event, clear it, and if it returns go ask a tech. These things are soooo picky about voltage.

Mark
Old 08-20-2018, 09:40 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My 05 last month threw on the check engine light after refueling. So I bought new gas cap, and the check engine light went out, for about month, and last week, it came back on again. So I just took a piece black tape over the check engine light. You know the old saying, out of sight out of mind.

Well today drive, the light went out again. I'll see how long with this time it stays off, have nothing on the DIC, and car has power.

So I'll just leave it alone, till the car needs to go to the shop for repairs.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:42 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

I have nothing to offer other than that sucks. I'll be following along to see what the fix is. I am sure somebody here will point you to a cure. Good luck!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 10:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CHEV AGAIN
Could be as simple as low battery voltage. It’s not a catastrophic event, clear it, and if it returns go ask a tech. These things are soooo picky about voltage.
Mark
Ha, yes I've read the countless threads here about the bizarre things that happen when the battery goes out on these cars. It happened to me four years ago -- wouldn't crank, DIC went crazy, lights flashing, etc. Luckily I was in my front yard.

Although the battery is four years old, it is always on a tender when home. I load-tested it this spring and it was still excellent. So, who knows?

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
My 05 last month threw on the check engine light after refueling. So I bought new gas cap, and the check engine light went out, for about month, and last week, it came back on again. So I just took a piece black tape over the check engine light. You know the old saying, out of sight out of mind.

Well today drive, the light went out again. I'll see how long with this time it stays off, have nothing on the DIC, and car has power.

So I'll just leave it alone, till the car needs to go to the shop for repairs.
Nah, I can't go that route. I have to have things correct. It's part of my (flawed) perfectionism.

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
I have nothing to offer other than that sucks. I'll be following along to see what the fix is. I am sure somebody here will point you to a cure. Good luck!!!
Thanks Tony. Do you think the light would go out if I changed my underwear? Last time I changed them was when I bought the new battery. Maybe they're due.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Thanks Tony. Do you think the light would go out if I changed my underwear? Last time I changed them was when I bought the new battery. Maybe they're due.
Don't panic and start making crazy decisions. I am sure your underwear are fine as is.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:10 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Bruce, there is a GM Service Document with a lot of information on it related to U0073.

Majority deal with intermittent connections and power loss, as U codes typically refer to Can Bus communication. Attempted to save it as photos, would have inserted them here, but I stopped at 14.

Check underhood for any "chafed" wires on the intake manifold area first, easiest to see. Unless you are going to tackle this yourself, better off to wait for "your guy."
Old 08-20-2018, 11:47 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rkj427
Bruce, there is a GM Service Document with a lot of information on it related to U0073.

Majority deal with intermittent connections and power loss, as U codes typically refer to Can Bus communication. Attempted to save it as photos, would have inserted them here, but I stopped at 14.

Check underhood for any "chafed" wires on the intake manifold area first, easiest to see. Unless you are going to tackle this yourself, better off to wait for "your guy."
Thanks for the comment. I also saw that TSB while Googling around, and it included '07s.

I will look tomorrow although I won't expect to see anything obvious. Everything is bone stock and the engine and surround looks pretty much like it did when new. But, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:00 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Don't panic and start making crazy decisions. I am sure your underwear are fine as is.
Yeah, yer probably right. I often panic and go off the deep end, and end up doing something that I later regret. I'll hold off on the underwear change.

Yer a great buddy to have, always the one with the level head and somehow coaxing me off the window ledge.

Supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow so the car stays in the barn. Maybe on Wednesday I'll stop at a local garage where I know the guys and have them check it.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow so the car stays in the barn. Maybe on Wednesday I'll stop at a local garage where I know the guys and have them check it.
Parked in a barn?
Given nature of code, wiring damage due to mice?
Can be hellacious locating damaged line(s) since it's a random location unlike known/documented chafe points.
Evidence of chewing @ harnesses etc are obvious tells, pray it isn't under dash.
But if inside a nest somewhere is in play, also.
Been down this road twice, living in the country.

Here's to hoping something electronic failed & not rodent damage.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Landru
Parked in a barn?
Given nature of code, wiring damage due to mice?
Can be hellacious locating damaged line(s) since it's a random location unlike known/documented chafe points.
Evidence of chewing @ harnesses etc are obvious tells, pray it isn't under dash.
But if inside a nest somewhere is in play, also.
Been down this road twice, living in the country.

Here's to hoping something electronic failed & not rodent damage.
Long story, but almost no chance of mice damage. Thanks anyway!
Old 08-21-2018, 10:21 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Maybe check the main connections under the passenger footwell and make sure they are firmly seated. That's at least a start and easy to do.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:30 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I bet the blinker fluid needs changing...just saying Hope you get it figured out soon and cheap.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:39 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Bruze, do you know anyone with a Tech 2 unit, it may help isolate the problem farther.. With a Tech 2 you can run scans on different areas to help narrow the problem down.Also may want to erase the codes and see if they come back, they may not..... WW
​​​​​​​.

Last edited by WW7; 08-21-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:40 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

And you might start it today and the check engine light will be off and never to return.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:25 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BadAV
Maybe check the main connections under the passenger footwell and make sure they are firmly seated. That's at least a start and easy to do.
That will be on the list if the easier stuff doesn't work.

Originally Posted by WW7
Bruze, do you know anyone with a Tech 2 unit, it may help isolate the problem farther.. With a Tech 2 you can run scans on different areas to help narrow the problem down.Also may want to erase the codes and see if they come back, they may not..... WW
.​​​​​​​.
Thanks. My out-of-town buddy has a pretty good one (runs a repair/body shop) but I don't know any more than that right now.

I'm pretty clueless about modern cars and scan tools. The manual with mine said to be careful about erasing codes, something about "Freeze Frames," and "manufacturer specific data," none of which means anything to me. Is there a real reason why I should not erase them and see if they come back? I originally bought this because I had tranny problems with a 2011 truck I had, and I do remember erasing codes with no ill effects. But the electronics in this car scares the crap out of me.

Originally Posted by jrose7004
And you might start it today and the check engine light will be off and never to return.
Weather will suck again tomorrow but nice on Thursday. I'll drive it to lunch then and see.

Not sure if this helps with diagnosing or not, but FWIW: Sunday I drove about 25 miles, made two stops a short distance apart, then drove 35 or so miles back to the local "watering hole." When I left there is when the light came on and no, I wasn't drunk, no burnouts, no wild women distractions.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Check battery voltage first, then check all fuses in both boxes, pull out and reinsert a few specific ones that are related to the modules to check for corrosion causing a bad connection.

Have you done anything to the car recently, changed any part, replaced anything, installed anything, got anything wet, or had anyone work on it? If so that could help point you in the right direction.

Finally, you can clear codes without causing any issues, just remember to record all the codes before erasing and see if they come back. You might get lucky.

Get notified of new replies

To Check engine light on . . .

Old 08-21-2018, 08:19 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Good luck, Bruze. I hope you find the problem and a quick solution.
My mechanical skills are close to zero, so problems like this get my attention bc Im sure that at some point I will encounter this problem or something similar. I also have an 07, and wish I could contribute.

Following....
Old 08-21-2018, 08:39 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nick14003
Check battery voltage first, then check all fuses in both boxes, pull out and reinsert a few specific ones that are related to the modules to check for corrosion causing a bad connection.

Have you done anything to the car recently, changed any part, replaced anything, installed anything, got anything wet, or had anyone work on it? If so that could help point you in the right direction.

Finally, you can clear codes without causing any issues, just remember to record all the codes before erasing and see if they come back. You might get lucky.
Where are the fuse boxes? No changes to the car at all, nobody's touched it, hasn't been in rain since 2015 or maybe '16, lol. Had I made any recent changes, that would be my first suspicion.

Okay on clearing the codes. For four years now I know I've been running on fumes, I knew at some point an electronic problem like this would pop up that I knew nothing about fixing or diagnosing.

A guy a few miles down the road is an old gearhead (my age) and he's got an old ratrod in front for sale. It's a '30s-something, just primered. Every time I drive by it it tempts me -- at least I know how to fix it.

Originally Posted by JoeMatilda
Good luck, Bruze. I hope you find the problem and a quick solution.
My mechanical skills are close to zero, so problems like this get my attention bc Im sure that at some point I will encounter this problem or something similar. I also have an 07, and wish I could contribute.

Following....
Old 08-21-2018, 09:22 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Control Module Communications Bus Off is code U0073....It may be the connectors under the passenger foot well. could be loose...Take a look and re-seat them. You can erase the code with no issues with a scanner. See if it comes back

Last edited by crusher1; 08-21-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Check engine light on . . .