C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers / X-Pipe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:22 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by hydrasport
Good price on those headers, but will I need to buy a new X pipe along with the headers? Are the headers coated, if not how much more for that?
Our headers include an X-Pipe @ $899 shipped Headers are not coated but it's only $300 extra and we can ship immediately
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 09-16-2018, 06:45 AM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

been running OBX for 2 years now with 0 problems TSP is a great choice too as they are priced right and make good power
Old 09-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Lotsokids
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrasport
Why would you buy a set of "Made in China" headers on a Vette? ...We have our Made in the USA TPS Motorsports RPM 1-7/8" Headers on sale right now for $899 shipped to your door...
Of course I would install "Made in China" headers on my car. It's not a show car. In my original post, I mentioned that I am on a tight budget. The header kit with X-Pipe on Ebay is $299 with free shipping from a seller with over 99% positive feedback. Compared to yours for 3 times the price.
The show-stopper was tuning. That put me way over what I wanted to spend.

Waiting now for feedback about the Hooker headers now. Hopefully I can get around the need for tuning.

Last edited by Lotsokids; 09-17-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotsokids
Of course I would install "Made in China" headers on my car. It's not a show car. In my original post, I mentioned that I am on a tight budget. The header kit with X-Pipe on Ebay is $299 with free shipping from a seller with over 99% positive feedback. Compared to yours for 3 times the price.

Waiting now for feedback about the Hooker headers now. Hopefully I can get around the need for tuning.
I got no dog in this fght but $299 for a set of headers with Xpipe and free shipping, just doesn't compute but as you say if it fits your budget then go for it.
NSF
Old 09-17-2018, 03:25 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

It is your choice and I understand our product is more but we do offer some items they don't which isn't factored into the price difference
-02 Extensions-$100
-GM Gaskets-$50
-TPS Billet Catch Can-$80
That is a total of $260 which drops the price down to $639 with a difference of $340. We also offer 365 days, 24/7 tech support.. I guarantee they offer none. If you are not doing the install yourself the shop will more than likely charge you more to install the Ebay headers over other brands because they will take more work to make them work

It really depends on what you want... if don't care about quality and having to put extra work and money into getting your purchase to fit and if comes down to price only then I would say go for it. You will get what you pay for...we do offer financing for up to 1 year @ 0% also if you need help getting into a quality product
Old 09-17-2018, 04:33 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Life lesson, sometimes being cheap costs you much more down the road.

You have a Corvette, if you are on a tight budget and can't afford to do it, maybe just enjoy it the way it is for now. The negative references to the term "Made in China" has more to do with concerns about quality than it does about where it was manufactured. $900 shipped for the TPS Motorsports headers and x-pipe sound like a good value to me.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 09-17-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Lotsokids
Advanced

Originally Posted by TPSMak
It is your choice and I understand our product is more but we do offer some items they don't which isn't factored into the price difference
-02 Extensions-$100
-GM Gaskets-$50
-TPS Billet Catch Can-$80
TPSMak - I see your marketing push. And I understand you are trying to sell a product. But I prefer this Forum for technical advice and other owners' recommendations.
The price on the products you quoted are inflated dramatically also, and fit your agenda. I can find O2 extensions for $18, for example.
If I had a bunch of money in the bank, and everything going well, I would jump on your system. But I'm a retired military member with 6 children. I've had little to no money for most of my life. I'm just thankful I own a beautiful, awesome C6, that's a result of a house sale.

I'm an established, experienced aircraft mechanic and could probably cut / weld up my own headers from a 1973 Chevy pickup to save even more money.
The following users liked this post:
ItsAVetteThing (03-31-2022)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:41 PM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you may think about the heat shielded spark plug wires as well when doing this mod forgive me if im wrong but i believe most do
Old 09-17-2018, 04:54 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

TPSMak - I see your marketing push. And I understand you are trying to sell a product. But I prefer this Forum for technical advice and other owners' recommendations.
The price on the products you quoted are inflated dramatically also, and fit your agenda. I can find O2 extensions for $18, for example.
If I had a bunch of money in the bank, and everything going well, I would jump on your system. But I'm a retired military member with 6 children. I've had little to no money for most of my life. I'm just thankful I own a beautiful, awesome C6, that's a result of a house sale.

I'm an established, experienced aircraft mechanic and could probably cut / weld up my own headers from a 1973 Chevy pickup to save even more money.
Like I said.. If you are looking for the cheapest product possible with no concern for quality and your time that's fine.... that is your prerogative. You say you served in the military and hopefully understand what China is trying to do this this country... ie make us so dependent on them they OWN us...

As far as saying the prices I quoted are inflated dramatically that's not true... American Racing Charges $100 for 02 Extensions... maybe that one was a bit high but everything else is pretty spot on.. good luck with whatever you decide to go with
Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Lotsokids
Advanced

Originally Posted by TPSMak
...good luck with whatever you decide to go with
I hope you didn't take my reply as disrespectful. I'm confident you sell a very nice product.
Just trying to show where I come from.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:28 PM
Lotsokids
Advanced

I am looking more seriously at the Hooker shorty headers.
I just found this test on a Chrysler 300. Simply bolted on the headers and gained 11.6 HP at the wheels, and 14 pounds lighter. This may be my best option without needing to re-tune.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

I am looking more seriously at the Hooker shorty headers.
I just found this test on a Chrysler 300. Simply bolted on the headers and gained 11.6 HP at the wheels, and 14 pounds lighter. This may be my best option without needing to re-tune.
Shorty headers are a total waste of money... alot of money for not many gains

Last edited by TPSMak; 09-21-2018 at 01:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
damascus1986 (09-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Headers / X-Pipe Questions