C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Wide Open?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:06 AM
redbeautygs
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NPP Wide Open?

I have a 2013 GS with 17k miles. The other day while out the exhaust volume went to the extreme. I assumed the baffle was stuck open and when I got home I found my assumption was correct. Looking over this great site I see where it probably is caused by one of 2 things, either the fuse or the solenoid or perhaps both. I found great info on how to check and fix, however my question is would there be any harm if I just left it as is? I have not checked either one as yet due to time but was wondering if whatever caused the issue could it hurt something else?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

It won't harm it at all. I pulled the fuse on mine when I bought the car nearly 3 years ago and have been loving the sound ever since.
The following users liked this post:
redbeautygs (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 12:38 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Most guys I know, purchased the Mild to Wild switch. Then you can go from quiet to load at the push of a button whenever the urge hits you. I leave mine in the open (loud) position 98% of the time.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:28 PM
FiveVettes
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a similar problem, mine will not close after start sometimes, other times they operate as they should. It takes electrical power to close them and the fuse has to be good if they close when they feel like it. Local Corvette shop shop guru says it's carbon build up and I need to quit driving it like a pu**y and stand on it, get the revs up. He said to burn it off I need to put it in park and floor it to the red line, heat it up. Not sure I want to do that.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveVettes
It takes electrical power to close them
I thought they worked with vacuum pressure?
Old 10-14-2018, 02:47 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...Local Corvette shop guru says...put it in park and floor it to the red line...
I would designate him idiot, not guru.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I pulled the fuse on my NPP back in 2011 when I got my brand new Grand Sport home it's never been back in since I wouldn't have another the other way.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:51 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Running open will do you no harm. Would double check it is the fuse since other cause could be a vacuum problem and that might impact performance. Believe vacuum leak would cause baffles to fail in closed position but I’d check the system just to be sure. Change the fuse and see if the exhaust acts as designed.
The following users liked this post:
redbeautygs (10-15-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 09:55 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I pulled the fuse and leave mine open all of the time.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

I put in a switch under the dash but it's been over a year since I turned it off. Guess I should just to make sure it still works. I do like the quiet mode for interstate cruising.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:54 AM
Gotta-Qik-C7
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I leave mine open 99% (Mild To Wild) of the time! I only close them on long interstate trips!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:22 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

the previous owner or broker, had switched the fuse already. I've been wide open for almost two years.
no intention of going "stealth". my last car ('98 Z28), had headers with 3" collectors. after the cat's, they were wye'd into
a single 4" exhaust out back. it had a decent idle sound, but when you got on it, it would put the open NPP to shame.
this was my dad's car and, was his set-up. he drove the hell of out this car.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:08 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotta-Qik-C6
I leave mine open 99% (Mild To Wild) of the time! I only close them on long interstate trips!
Exactly!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:44 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,006 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I thought they worked with vacuum pressure?
The fuse in the passenger well, controls the NPP controller, which controls the vacuum solenoid.

With now fuse, the NPP and the Vacuum solenoid do not get power up, and since the normal non powered state of the vacuum solenoid does not vacuum through it, the muffler gates stay wide open. When the controller does have power to it, it powers up the solenoid to allow vacuum through it , and this closes the muffler gates.
When the RPS reach high enough, and you are deep into the throttle pedal, then the NPP cuts to the power to the vacuum solenoid, and this allows the gates to open as long as such demands are meet.

So yes, the gates are controlled by the vacuum off the intake manifold, but you have electronic items controlling the vacuum as well.

Go post #8 to see all the parts that make up the NPP system.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tuck-open.html

Last edited by Dano523; 10-17-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:01 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I have a similar problem, mine will not close after start sometimes, other times they operate as they should. It takes electrical power to close them and the fuse has to be good if they close when they feel like it. Local Corvette shop shop guru says it's carbon build up and I need to quit driving it like a pu**y and stand on it, get the revs up. He said to burn it off I need to put it in park and floor it to the red line, heat it up. Not sure I want to do that.
your GURU is a LULU.........go with your gut.

Clif
Old 10-17-2018, 01:04 PM
cmcad
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

Help please

I put it in 1st and had already taken my foot off the clutch and started rolling, everything's normal right. Then I step on the gas and "snap", I freak out, I dont know what happened. I stopped the car and tried driving again, I release the clutch very slowly until I start moving and I give gas and it just wont go, the clutch is slipping I think. I wait about 5 minutes, I try again, it is still slipping but I get the car moving, barely, I drove home( about a 1/4 mile) I only kept it in 1st gear and drove at 20 mph at 2500 rpm. The transmission was making a noise, like a crackling or popping sort of noise, it wasnt nice. Does anyone know what couldve happened? Burnt clutch? Something with the tranny? Snapped driveshaft? Help please, I wanna know how much the repair will cost me, im calling a truck later today and taking it to the shop. A burning smell did come for a few seconds, and then again after it snapped, once I give a bit of gas( like above 4000 rpm) a burning smell comes
Old 10-17-2018, 07:53 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
The fuse in the passenger well, controls the NPP controller, which controls the vacuum solenoid.

With now fuse, the NPP and the Vacuum solenoid do not get power up, and since the normal non powered state of the vacuum solenoid does not vacuum through it, the muffler gates stay wide open. When the controller does have power to it, it powers up the solenoid to allow vacuum through it , and this closes the muffler gates.
When the RPS reach high enough, and you are deep into the throttle pedal, then the NPP cuts to the power to the vacuum solenoid, and this allows the gates to open as long as such demands are meet.

So yes, the gates are controlled by the vacuum off the intake manifold, but you have electronic items controlling the vacuum as well.

Go post #8 to see all the parts that make up the NPP system.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tuck-open.html

thanks Dano523! I couldn’t remember the fail position (must be old age).
Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Spray some oven cleaner around the valves and let it soak for a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Wide Open?

Quick Reply: NPP Wide Open?