C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro SS vs LS engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:00 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Shelstin
I like the HUD, PSI monitor (especially since I don't have run flats), heated seats, back up camera and bluetooth capability in my SS. I don't want to lose that. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I need a 2009 or newer 3LT?
Our 2005 has all those features and then some i.e. heated mirror auto darken, Cruise, and sat radio, six way power seats. But no back up camera or Bluetooth. Those items are easy to get. OH and FAST, Speed Racer fast.

Last edited by Mlcharlestonsc; 12-04-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
When I shopped for my car, I did exactly that and sent the seller a text asking if he would take (x) amount. He countered and I declined but then I called him and we finished negotiating over the phone and agreed on a price. The price was conditional on seeing the car, so if the car wasn't as advertised I would just walk. In this case the car was as promised and the deal went through without issue. My point is don't always dismiss a text or e-mail as not being a serious buyer. I have made that mistake myself at times and then someone I don't think is serious always seems to surprise me.
It could be the way the seller prices the car or seller desperation. Some sellers really inflate a realistic selling price, so they've created a lot of room to consider starting negotiations sight unseen. I saw that a lot with Corvettes. I try to be closer to sold expectations. If someone wants to inspect it, drive it, they'll either conclude it is worth the selling price and pay full price, or I am always open to listening to an an offer based on some technical reasoning.

In the last 15 years, I've sold 8 cars at full price, one I was talked down $2,000 for some "wear items" the car would need soon, and I accepted the reasoning I used up some of the wear, the new owner would get some use before replacing about $5,000 in parts. But this was also on a car with a market value over $100,000 at the time I sold. All of these 9 cars had an emotional component that went along with the car and not in the commuter car category.

I am completely comfortable with the process I use to sell and will continue to reject telephone/text offers sight unseen. To me, these are bottom feeders and a waste of time as they can and often do make numerous telephone offers and likely will not make it out to see the car in the end. Negotiating price before seeing the car is nothing more than testing for a desperate seller, which, lucky, I've never had to be. If they're a serious buyer they want to see it first before talking price, and those have always been my eventual buyers. If I miss a serious buyer who makes a tel offer and I reject it, no problem, another buyer has always been right around the corner.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 12-04-2018 at 08:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Shelstin (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I lost a deal last night because I waited for the perfect deal on the perfect car. I'm good with that. I am not in a hurry, and I have gained almost 3k in equity on my payoff since I started getting serious. Of course, so has my trade value, but not to that point.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:02 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

I have a 2012 SS RS Camaro 6 speed and a 2012 Corvette Grand sport auto. The 6 speed camaro is 426 HP stock and the Vette is 430, the biggest difference is the weight. If you have a auto Camaro I think its 400 HP. Both cars are pretty fun to drive but are very different. Honestly it would be very hard to choose one. My Camaro has lots of suspension and engine work done but at he end of the day its hard to out perform the corvette.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

I have an automatic.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

I have found a 2013 LT2 for 28500. 37000 miles. Clean car fax. The price sounds decent to me, depending upon my trade. Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:32 PM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I would say that is about fair market price. So if the condition, ownership history and maintenance history checks out as well as it has the options you want, I would say go for it. If any of those conditions are not met, I would keep looking. I don't think you would be missing out on a great deal if you don't jump on it. Seems like a good price for a '13, but mileage is higher than most. There are a lot of like new C6s for sale out there. JMO!
Shelstin (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
It could be the way the seller prices the car or seller desperation. Some sellers really inflate a realistic selling price, so they've created a lot of room to consider starting negotiations sight unseen. I saw that a lot with Corvettes. I try to be closer to sold expectations. If someone wants to inspect it, drive it, they'll either conclude it is worth the selling price and pay full price, or I am always open to listening to an an offer based on some technical reasoning.

In the last 15 years, I've sold 8 cars at full price, one I was talked down $2,000 for some "wear items" the car would need soon, and I accepted the reasoning I used up some of the wear, the new owner would get some use before replacing about $5,000 in parts. But this was also on a car with a market value over $100,000 at the time I sold. All of these 9 cars had an emotional component that went along with the car and not in the commuter car category.

I am completely comfortable with the process I use to sell and will continue to reject telephone/text offers sight unseen. To me, these are bottom feeders and a waste of time as they can and often do make numerous telephone offers and likely will not make it out to see the car in the end. Negotiating price before seeing the car is nothing more than testing for a desperate seller, which, lucky, I've never had to be. If they're a serious buyer they want to see it first before talking price, and those have always been my eventual buyers. If I miss a serious buyer who makes a tel offer and I reject it, no problem, another buyer has always been right around the corner.
I agree with you that low ball offers should be ignored. Myself personally, If the car is some distance from me, I do negotiate price before seeing it in person to make sure we are in the same ballpark or on the same page dollar wise. My time is precious, last thing I want to do is travel some distance to see a car and then the seller have unreasonable expectations on sale price. If the car is close enough, then yes, I would definitely go see it in person first.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS982
I would say that is about fair market price. So if the condition, ownership history and maintenance history checks out as well as it has the options you want, I would say go for it. If any of those conditions are not met, I would keep looking. I don't think you would be missing out on a great deal if you don't jump on it. Seems like a good price for a '13, but mileage is higher than most. There are a lot of like new C6s for sale out there. JMO!
The nice thing about a Vette is that you don't have to buy one. It's a road trip car with a cool factor. The car I'm considering now is Black/Black 2LT, which is not exactly what I am looking for, but one of the options that I will consider. What are the additional "comforts" with the 3LT? In other words, what am I missing out on?
Old 12-05-2018, 02:11 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

The nice thing about a Vette is that you don't have to buy one. It's a road trip car with a cool factor. The car I'm considering now is Black/Black 2LT, which is not exactly what I am looking for, but one of the options that I will consider. What are the additional "comforts" with the 3LT? In other words, what am I missing out on?

From the 2012 sales brochure.
Shelstin (12-06-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 PM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

3LT gets you Power Telescoping Steering Column, Memory Package, Heated Seats, Remote Transmitter & Cargo Shade (Coupe) or Power Top (Vert)

4LT gets you leather wrapped dash and door panels and microsueded seat inserts.

I've owned an '08, '10 and now a '13 and I love the updated seats that come in the '12 and '13s (all trim levels). It would be hard for me to go back to the old style seats.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

I sold my 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3 in August to purchase my current 2006 triple black A6 Corvette. I owned my Camaro for 7 years. But this is my 4th Corvette. I went to an automatic due to an accident I had in late April when I screwed up my left leg and hip. Using the clutch became a problem. The Camaro was a torque sensory machine . It reminded me of my old 2002 Z06 for torgue and just the way it pulled. But that said, my 2006 A6 LS2 Vette is faster than my Camaro. Horsepower aside, the Vette is 750 pounds lighter. I guess that surprised me since the Vette only has 2:56:1 gears and the Camaro had 3:45:1. Power to weight ratio really DOES make a huge difference. I pretty much did a swap for the Vette because cash was an issue. Get a 2008 or greater and that will come with the LS3 (if you can). But just be aware, parts for a Corvette are more expensive than the Camaro. For example, exhaust systems. Good luck.

Last edited by Trebor; 12-06-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Shelstin (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:32 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I have both, a 2006 (LS2) Corvette with the Z51 and 3LT packages along with my 2013 (L99) Camaro 2SS/RS. If I had to give one up it would be the Camaro without a second thought. Although 7 years older, the Corvette out does the Camaro in in all aspects in regards to performance and handling, this is mainly due to being lighter, having a lower profile and better aerodynamics; an added factor if it matters to you is the C6 also gets better MPG then the SS (my Corvette averages 26 MPG, the Camaro averages 20 MPG). On a more personal level, IMO the Corvette is a much more stylish and better looking vehicle .. of course I've been a big Corvette enthusiast since I was a teen

Last edited by Welker1; 12-06-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Shelstin (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

TRF, thank you for the sheet on the options.
I appreciate all of the responses. Thank you very much!
Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Welker1
I have both, a 2006 (LS2) Corvette with the Z51 and 3LT packages along with my 2013 (L99) Camaro 2SS/RS. If I had to give one up it would be the Camaro without a second thought. Although 7 years older, the Corvette out does the Camaro in in all aspects in regards to performance and handling, this is mainly due to being lighter, having a lower profile and better aerodynamics; an added factor if it matters to you is the C6 also gets better MPG then the SS (my Corvette averages 26 MPG, the Camaro averages 20 MPG). On a more personal level, IMO the Corvette is a much more stylish and better looking vehicle .. of course I've been a big Corvette enthusiast since I was a teen
My Camaro, has the same package as yours. I have the ground effects package, and I get 25 at 75/80 on the interstate. I was told by a GM rep that the L99 does not need 91 octane, and the one time I tried that, I got closer to 20. I always use 91 now. I appreciate the info.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

My Camaro, has the same package as yours. I have the ground effects package, and I get 25 at 75/80 on the interstate. I was told by a GM rep that the L99 does not need 91 octane, and the one time I tried that, I got closer to 20. I always use 91 now. I appreciate the info.
I use 91 octane as well (it's the highest available around here), 93 when I can find it on road trips. I drive very spiritedly in both, 80-85 MPH on the interstates (occasionally better) when traffic permits and my averages are a combination of interstate (80%)/city (20%) driving.
Shelstin (12-06-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 11:30 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

[QUOTE=Shelstin;1598435802] I also need to add that this is all by text and phone call, and I haven't actually sat in an office closing a deal. I understand that would make a difference, but we are not even close on my end. In addition, I can't seem to get a salesman to give me a call back from several online inquiries.QUOTE]

Shel,

Unless you are personally known by the dealer, you will find it difficult to do any "negotiating" online. AND...the dealer has no interest in a trade-in he cannot first see. Those are rules of the game. Don't give up, just learn that you have to play by the rules. If the car is outside your area, tell the seller you will pay for a "pre-purchase inspection" at the local Chevy dealer, if they will take the car there. Usually, there is no problem with that IF the car is in good condition. After that is done, you might have some negotiating power. Sell your care locally. You will get more for it than you will on a trade-in.

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro SS vs LS engine

Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

=The car I'm considering now is Black/Black 2LT, which is not exactly what I am looking for
IMO remove that car from consideration RIGHT NOW...

I have fallen into the "well its pretty close" trap a few times and within 6 months I am trading out of the car because of whatever it is that bugs me.

I just went through this. I wanted an 08+ vert, auto, 3lt, z51 suspension car, and not black. What I REALLY wanted was a Grand Sport, but didnt want to pop the money initially. I ended up making a great deal on a 2011 GS convertible, auto, inferno orange metallic... It was over my budget, but its what I wanted and I didnt settle for narrow body car. I went over my budget a bit, but if it keeps me in the car longer term, to me its money well spent.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:01 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Shel,

Don't settle for a Vette that is "close" to what you want. You will always be looking at the ones that drive by that are exactly what you want, and will be disappointed. Both times I bought a C6, I determined the year range, transmission, 3 exterior colors I would like, the interior color, and the trim level I wanted (3LT). I then went on several internet sites (cargurus, autotrader, cars.com), and used those filters to set up a nationwide search, with notifications. It worked so well that I had numerous cars to choose from, and sellers to talk with. Each of the cars was exactly what I was looking for. Even if you don't want to do a nationwide search, go ahead and set up like that, and you will see what is available, and get an idea of fair pricing. You will learn a lot in a very short time. Then, you get to decide how far you are willing to travel, what you want to spend, all while looking at cars that meet what you want.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:35 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

I need advice on price. I am making a deal on a 2013 coupe, Black/Black 2LT. I had a buddy look at it this morning, as he lives about 3 miles from it. It has both tops and is immaculate. The mileage is a bit high at 38,000, but I think the price is decent at 27,900. He drove it, and says he tested it a bit. He is a cop, and likes it a lot. He wants one now!
I was somewhat open on color. Black was one of the options, and I love the way it looks clean, but they are hard to keep that way. That color combo or White/Tan. Jetstream blue/tan or black, or metallic red/black were my filters. The only thing it's missing that I somewhat wanted was the heated seats. I am good with the car if my trade comes in with a ballpark that's acceptable.
What issues does the year have that I need to check for?

Quick Reply: Camaro SS vs LS engine