C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Convertible w/out Nav

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:24 PM
MrBill222
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 Convertible w/out Nav

So I'm new here.

I have a 2007 C6 w/ just the plain old CD Player radio. My question is about upgrading to the NAV unit. I understand only the OEM will compliment the HUD. And a few of the aftermarket decks will work w/ the steering wheel buttons.

My question is this: Is the only feature on the OEM touchscreen the Navigation? I'm looking for bluetooth to the phone, connection w/ the existing Sirius XM etc.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:51 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Honestly, you'd be better off finding an aftermarket radio from Kenwood or Pioneer than you would be with the outdated OEM Nav system. You'd have all of the features you're wanting, plus you wouldn't have to worry about update discs and such for the Nav because you can update via a Wi-Fi hotspot using your phone.
The following users liked this post:
carls2004 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 06:04 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

The oem unit is totally obsolete
carls2004 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 06:05 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

If you go with an aftermarket head unit, your HUD will still work, but you won't have any of the navigation turn features through the HUD. Imo, you will be much better off going with an aftermarket unit. You will gain a bunch of additional features over the dated factory unit and also have the ability to easily add a backup camera, which I highly recommend doing. The steering wheel buttons will still work. The steering wheel buttons come pre-programmed with the correct wiring interface. The only issue is some have a problem getting the phone answer and end buttons programmed correctly, but it sounds like you don't have those anyway. If you want to stick with the factory nav unit, you can, but just not worth the trouble imo.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBill222
So I'm new here.

I have a 2007 C6 w/ just the plain old CD Player radio. My question is about upgrading to the NAV unit. I understand only the OEM will compliment the HUD. And a few of the aftermarket decks will work w/ the steering wheel buttons.

My question is this: Is the only feature on the OEM touchscreen the Navigation? I'm looking for bluetooth to the phone, connection w/ the existing Sirius XM etc.
The OEM NAV does this and does integrate with the hud, what is the etc. your looking for?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:41 AM
MrBill222
8th Gear

there may be no 'etc..." i've never had a touchscreen menu. Bluetooth w/ my phone and work w/ the factory installed Sirius, and steering buttons

Honestly I don't need a navigation unit...I don't go anywhere...

and I have a convertible, so I can't usually hear the music anyway.....

I just WANT the touchscreen because I don't have one and if there are features I know won't work my messed up mind will not stop obsessing about them

and until yesterday I didn't even know that the OEM unit displayed signals on the HUD....but now I can't NOT know that.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:24 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

there may be no 'etc..." i've never had a touchscreen menu. Bluetooth w/ my phone and work w/ the factory installed Sirius, and steering buttons

I just WANT the touchscreen because I don't have one and if there are features I know won't work my messed up mind will not stop obsessing about them

and until yesterday I didn't even know that the OEM unit displayed signals on the HUD....but now I can't NOT know that.
Ok so in YOUR case the OEM nav will do everything you want or need right from the touchscreen. And from the HUD you will see all nav directions, all radio stations, cd tracks, xm stations
MrBill222 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:10 AM
MrBill222
8th Gear

Thank you.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:45 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Imo, you may be better off keeping what you already have. Many of us hated the factory nav unit enough to pull it out and replace it with an aftermarket unit. I couldn't get the embarrassing piece of **** out fast enough. I couldn't imagine going through all that trouble to actually install one.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Imo, you may be better off keeping what you already have. Many of us hated the factory nav unit enough to pull it out and replace it with an aftermarket unit. I couldn't get the embarrassing piece of **** out fast enough. I couldn't imagine going through all that trouble to actually install one.
The op wants minimal production out of the oem nav touchscreen and it delivers that or did you not read that. Plus he gets his HUD integration. Not everybody has to have all the new technology, I don't, I use a flip phone, works fine with the factory bluetooth, the nav never let me down and I use my I pod touch for music. So for some the factory nav is more than enough to suit some peoples needs.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
The op wants minimal production out of the oem nav touchscreen and it delivers that or did you not read that. Plus he gets his HUD integration. Not everybody has to have all the new technology, I don't, I use a flip phone, works fine with the factory bluetooth, the nav never let me down and I use my I pod touch for music. So for some the factory nav is more than enough to suit some peoples needs.
The OP didn't even know about the HUD integration until I mentioned it. If you don't need all the new tech, then just stay with the base radio. Changing to the factory navigation will still result in disappointment. You still have a flip phone? Enough said. I win by default.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:52 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Just an FYI, the when you mention bluetooth with phone, the factory bluetooth is only for phone conversations only. There is no music streaming through the factory bluetooth. Not sure if that is an issue for you or not.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

The OP didn't even know about the HUD integration until I mentioned it. If you don't need all the new tech, then just stay with the base radio. Changing to the factory navigation will still result in disappointment. You still have a flip phone? Enough said. I win by default.
Regardless now he wants it. He said he wanted a touchscreen with minimal options and the oem nav delivers that. If I called you to have a conversation would you know I was on a flip phone or a $1000 I- phone? I don't think so. Enough said.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 04-24-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Regardless now he wants it. He said he wanted a touchscreen with minimal options and the oem nav delivers that. If I called you to have a conversation would you know I was on a flip phone or a $1000 I- phone? I don't think so. Enough said.
As far as the OP is concerned, this is obviously a case of not knowing what you are getting until you get. At that point it will be too late to warn him of all the shortcomings of the factory nav. If he decides he still wants it, then he is more than welcome to install it. But he should know first that many find it difficult to use, it is still missing many modern features, sound quality could be better, it has Atari like 1980's graphics, there is no backup camera option, and depending on what year car it came from, it may or may not have bluetooth for phone. Also, he may have to add a microphone to his car and will most likely have to take the car with head unit to a dealer to have the nav unlocked and mated to his car. Not sure if I missed anything. Imo, like I stated before, I think I would advise to just stay with the base stereo if technology is not important. But that is for the OP to decide. I am just trying to give him a contrary opinion to help him to make an educated decision. I'm not saying he has to agree with me.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

As far as the OP is concerned, this is obviously a case of not knowing what you are getting until you get. At that point it will be too late to warn him of all the shortcomings of the factory nav. If he decides he still wants it, then he is more than welcome to install it. But he should know first that many find it difficult to use, it is still missing many modern features, sound quality could be better, it has Atari like 1980's graphics, there is no backup camera option, and depending on what year car it came from, it may or may not have bluetooth for phone. Also, he may have to add a microphone to his car and will most likely have to take the car with head unit to a dealer to have the nav unlocked and mated to his car. Not sure if I missed anything. Imo, like I stated before, I think I would advise to just stay with the base stereo if technology is not important. But that is for the OP to decide. I am just trying to give him a contrary opinion to help him to make an educated decision. I'm not saying he has to agree with me.
All valid points. Maybe he should pull up one of a million you-tube videos on the c6 nav in action and decide for himself.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

All valid points. Maybe he should pull up one of a million you-tube videos on the c6 nav in action and decide for himself.
Or he could start a thread on the corvette forum.

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 Convertible w/out Nav

Quick Reply: 2007 Convertible w/out Nav