C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasons to put car up for winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 05:13 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by astepup

'Nuff said.
I remember days like that in North Dakota. NEVER again!
Old 01-31-2021, 06:44 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Originally Posted by Chi-Town Tom
A fresh 8-10 inches of heavy, wet snow in Chicago in the last 24 hours is all the reason I need. Always put my summer toys away until spring. I do go out to the garage to look at her at least once a day however.
I have a 2014 WRX with minor mods riding on snow tires to keep the winter entertaining.
Large, empty parking lots+snow = good time.
Lived just west of Chicago from 2002-2013. I had a C5 at the time and these storms happen, but within a couple of weeks the sun comes out, the roads are dry, and I drove my C5 for at least 50 miles two times a month during the winter. Enjoy that car!!!
Old 01-31-2021, 08:57 PM
NukeMMC
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I added my 2011 GS to my Erie insurance with my 18 Charger GT+ AWD and my wife's 18 Explorer 4WD. By going with Rate Lock and laying it up from Dec 1 to Mar 1, my payments went DOWN almost $200/6 mo by adding the 3rd car! Add to it that I want to use the winter months to do upgrades and tinker, and it's a no-brainer for me.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:31 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Wow, this thread shows the difference between Chevy owners and those that think otherwise.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:52 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by owc6
Wow, this thread shows the difference between Chevy owners and those that think otherwise.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:02 PM
MysteryMob
Pro

Received 180 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
Of course not in Minot, ND!

I visited there on business in January 2012. I was working out of Chicago but was in Georgia visiting family between Christmas and the New Year. I got on a flight to Chicago in Atlanta in 60 degree sunny weather. I got off the flight in Chicago and it was in the 20s and there was snow everywhere. I went home, unpacked, repacked, and was back on a flight on January 2nd to Minot. When I got off my connecting flight from Minneapolis into the Minot airport, it was 20 degrees and the wind chill made it a lot colder. Surprisingly it got as high as 55 degrees that week, the snow started melting, and the people I went to see thanked me for bringing the warm weather with me. Minot is a nice town. I stopped at Minot State University on my way out of town and bought a sweatshirt as a souvenir. I love it when people here ask me "where is that?" when I'm wearing it!
Why not Minot? Freezin's the Reason!
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (02-01-2021)
Old 02-21-2023, 01:40 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

What these guys wrote:
Originally Posted by golden2husky
I choose not to drive my Vette in the winter for a few simple reasons:

1. As pointed out, the tires simply don't work well in the cold, so all the fun aspects of corner carving and spirited driving ends.
2. Salt corroded metals. Nothing kills the new look like repeated salt baths - I like everything to look fresh, even on the underside.
3. I have a winter rat for snowy/icy weather - why risk the Vette?
Originally Posted by cadyshac
My 'vette is damn nice, I did not buy it for a daily or to beat the hell out of it in the winter. I will continue to pamper it how I please thank you.
AND To Add;

My Father was a Depression baby, and I didn't grow up with much. I was taught to work hard and you could have nice things, but you needed to respect and care for the stuff you had. I know that there's an cadre of guys here that could buy my entire net worth with just 1 of your brokerage accounts. So Fine! Go ahead and beat the s* out of your Corvette. I understand you can buy two more where that came from. But me, I'm going to take care of my nice things, and they will last me longer!
USA1 427 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 03:04 PM
kestell123
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I will not drive my Toy cars on salted roads , that includes my Corvette but also any other Toy I want to keep nice ,for example , the 2003 Silverado SS that I had. In spring I wait until a good rain has washed the salt off the roads. I hope I never accidently buy one of Corvettes that have been driven on salted roads, dry or not.
ominousone (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 03:31 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
What these guys wrote:

AND To Add;

My Father was a Depression baby, and I didn't grow up with much. I was taught to work hard and you could have nice things, but you needed to respect and care for the stuff you had. I know that there's an cadre of guys here that could buy my entire net worth with just 1 of your brokerage accounts. So Fine! Go ahead and beat the s* out of your Corvette. I understand you can buy two more where that came from. But me, I'm going to take care of my nice things, and they will last me longer!
Nailed it. I'm retired, living on my pension and SS, so there's no way for me to make more money. For me, my Vette is paid off, and will most likely be my LAST Vette, so it's going to get babied, and pampered so that it lasts until I can no longer drive it. For you younger guys who think "you can always buy another one", one day you'll be in my shoes (if you're lucky) and your opinion will change. But don't pass judgement on those of us who don't drive the crap out of it or subject it to bad roads, etc. Everyone has their own reasons why they do or don't , but let's be respectful of each other.
The following 2 users liked this post by USA1 427:
Fast Dawg (02-21-2023), fnbrowning (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 03:52 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Deep snow and summer tires don't work.
Car too low to ground to drive through snow.
Salt on roads promotes corrosion on every single nook and cranny of the car.
Zero degree temps.is no fun to drive in.
Any self respecting car guy, stores his ride during winter months up North.
Every Spring, it's like driving a new car.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:54 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
What these guys wrote:

AND To Add;

As a counter though, I am likely in the same boat as you budget wise. A corvette is above my budget and took some saving. It still gets driven daily, I accept i don't have the budget to replace it, but I put in a level of care that hopefully makes it last as long as a garage kept one and except parts are easy to get and if i do the work there is no labor costs.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:11 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Everyone has their own reasons why they do or don't , but let's be respectful of each other.
This should be at the top of every thread.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:40 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 484 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What's all that WHITE STUFF on the ground? I'm sorry, just had to tease a little.......that is one of the MANY reasons I live in Arizona!
Old 02-24-2023, 07:16 AM
Diamonddave60
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Growing up in Michigan in High school , we had nice summer cars like cutlass 's and camaro's we would store till winter was over, and drive $800 cars in winter. Now that I live in Texas, still keep a truck for crappy weather days. The Vette only comes out when I can drop the top .
Old 02-24-2023, 07:32 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

The Corvette took a peek outside this morning and said six more weeks of winter.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:06 AM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 484 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What's all that white stuff? Just teasing you a little......I was in Provo a few weeks ago for a health car forum and it was COLD....windy, snowing, and miserable. I don't know how you stand putting up with it. However, I'm sure you're looking forward to spring! Hang in there.....
Capt.K (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 04:53 PM
Capt.K
Just chillin
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Record snow, and horrible Salt!

This time last year I was already enjoying my baby. Record snow this year means lot's of salt on the highways. Just have to take longer trips over summer!

Quick Reply: Reasons to put car up for winter