C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 for an old guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 05:34 PM
dougsoldcars
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C6 for an old guy

Hi,
My name is Doug and I just joined this forum. Unfortunately my computer has been an issue trying to post here. At 76 I'm ready for a readily, professionally maintained fun car to drive. I like the look of the C6. I'd like to get a good cruising car with a decent ride. Would appreciate any thoughts on what options would add or detract from ride quality and what if any options most people feel are must haves. Also would like to learn about differences in things like Grand Sport vs. a regular Corvette. Also would like to know if there is a particular mileage at which these cars start to have trouble. For example is it a big risk to buy one with 50,000 miles on it?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
06slvr (07-29-2021)

Popular Reply

07-28-2021, 07:09 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 815 Likes on 562 Posts

Doug, I am an old guy of allmost 71. I have had 4 vettes over the years and I just bought a 2012 C6 base model. My car has 52K miles and has been taken care of to the point that it is in almost new condition. Previous owner did everything by the book. When looking for this car my options were a low mileage ( around 12 or 15K) or this one. This one already had a new set of tires on it, the other one had original with lots of tread. But those were almost 10 years old. SO I saved money in a new set of tires. And I wanted something that had been used so that any issues were taken care of under warranty a long time ago.The base model has over 400 HP. Old guys have no idea how much power that is, especially since it is a quiet ride. You don't need any more than that. For my use, I had no need for the Z06 or the grand sport. Base is more than enough and is usually cheaper to buy than the other 2 models. I got mine for 32,000. Now really isn't a good time to buy these cars, or any used car due to market forces beyond our control. And to sit in it, open the door, make sure the seat is all the way back, turn so your butt is facing the inside of the car and just kind of lower yourself in. Easy Peasy. I learned how to do that on my wife's mini cooper. It is a super compfortable car and for just cruising around, you wouldn't want anything more. Go for it.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:00 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 518 Likes on 315 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 thru '24
Oldtimer

Well Doug, I'm 70 and I love my C6. The C6 is a lot like an Improved version of the C5. I've had 6 corvettes and this C6 is really top dog as far as my past Corvettes. My C5 used to drag when backing out of my driveway, but oddly the C6 doesn't, it's also a great riding car, a little rough if you last ride was a Cadillac, but certainly nothing too bad. But you will appreciate any roads that have been well maintained ? Enjoy ! I'm looking for a second now !
The following 2 users liked this post by killain:
jimmymack (07-28-2021), Razorbacker (08-01-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Just my .02, but I would lean towards a base model if you just want a cruiser with a comfortable ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patsgarage:
buckmeister2 (07-28-2021), killain (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Geno94
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I've owned and driven Corvettes continuously since I was 21 and I am now a year older than you. I would first suggest that you get a ride/drive in one to determine if you find the ride acceptable and if you can get in and out of it comfortably. I have friends who have given up on Corvettes because it is too hard to get in and out or the ride is too uncomfortable and the only way you can get an accurate answer to this question is to spend some time in one. Nobody can tell you what works or doesn't work for you except you. Also there are different suspensions available from a softer ride to one calibrated for better handling. The roads you drive on affect the ride. If you find the car fits you then start exploring models and specifics. If it doesn't work there is no reason to waste a lot of time researching the car.
The following 5 users liked this post by Geno94:
buckmeister2 (07-28-2021), door2416 (07-29-2021), grpweld (07-28-2021), NBVette_Canada (07-29-2021), unkled20 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:09 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 815 Likes on 562 Posts

Doug, I am an old guy of allmost 71. I have had 4 vettes over the years and I just bought a 2012 C6 base model. My car has 52K miles and has been taken care of to the point that it is in almost new condition. Previous owner did everything by the book. When looking for this car my options were a low mileage ( around 12 or 15K) or this one. This one already had a new set of tires on it, the other one had original with lots of tread. But those were almost 10 years old. SO I saved money in a new set of tires. And I wanted something that had been used so that any issues were taken care of under warranty a long time ago.The base model has over 400 HP. Old guys have no idea how much power that is, especially since it is a quiet ride. You don't need any more than that. For my use, I had no need for the Z06 or the grand sport. Base is more than enough and is usually cheaper to buy than the other 2 models. I got mine for 32,000. Now really isn't a good time to buy these cars, or any used car due to market forces beyond our control. And to sit in it, open the door, make sure the seat is all the way back, turn so your butt is facing the inside of the car and just kind of lower yourself in. Easy Peasy. I learned how to do that on my wife's mini cooper. It is a super compfortable car and for just cruising around, you wouldn't want anything more. Go for it.

The following 6 users liked this post by kanvasman:
c5arlen (10-29-2022), JWQ (07-29-2021), killain (07-29-2021), Razorbacker (08-01-2021), sd45t2 (07-29-2021), unkled20 (07-29-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:26 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,517 Likes on 3,599 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Doug I'm 74, have 05 C6, which is great car, and what is better the wife hates getting into it, out and I leave her at home the passenger seats looks brand new.

Now if I say we're going to car show she wants to go, she finds ways to get in and out for week.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1bdvet:
JerriVette (07-29-2021), Razorbacker (08-01-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:32 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Based on the OP's statements, I would chose a NON-Z51.
Must have,the Bose/ Nav option, plus heads up display is very nice.
The full leather option, not so much.
If a Vert, the power top is a must have.

GS vs. regular is the wide fenders and a dry sump engine in the GS which I think would be a summary.
The GS coupe looks very nice, the standard body Vert also looks very nice.

50K mileage is a good number.
These cars are very dependable and predicting failures is difficult.
The one item to look at is the Harmonic Balancer at 50K, in which I could say the life of the HB is 75K.
That is a strong $1K repair cost.
Tire and brake condition could also be a strong $2K maintenance cost.
There are many on this forum with 100K mileage cars.

Lastly, I'll add, make sure your ingress and egress is doable with your young age.
The cars are low to ground with a limit on the roof edge too.

Good luck in your hunt.
CorvetteSparky (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 08:25 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

I would just add that you should get in and out (ingress and egress) a few times over a relatively short period as if you are running errands, getting gas, forgot something and have to move the car. It is more a problem of joints than age and you need to do it a few times to both get the hang of it for you and to decide whether it is a PIA or not. I do something of a plop getting in and use my left elbow/arm getting out. I don't mind the process except when there is very little space to open the door. My car has clear shields so I can use my feet without regret.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chatman:
CorvetteSparky (07-29-2021), Santino (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Not sure if you like shifting or not, I’d go GS regardless of which transmission. The LS3 is bulletproof…don’t worry about it.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 PM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 253 Likes on 181 Posts

Got you all beat! 77 and just got my first Vette, an 05 6M Z51 and love, love, love it! Low (35k) mile car but did the HB right away (did it myself by the way), new tires and TPS monitors (again were like new but 10 years old), just installed a new head (radio) unit. Yes, the Z51 does ride a bit stiff and that could be a consideration. They are not easy to get into if your bones are creaky so be sure you can open the door fully if in your garage. This forum is fabulous for help and I'd recommend looking at the common issues like the balancer, steering wheel lock mechanism, and by all means the electrical issues (most often just a battery) as these cars are very prone to electrical gremlins. Might want to consider an automatic if you don't like the idea of shifting in city traffic. Steer clear of an 05 with an automatic, however as they're only a 4 speed as opposed to 6 speed automatics in later years. Best wishes, you'll love it!
Old 07-28-2021, 08:32 PM
Ira T
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi, Doug! Welcome to the Forum.
I just turned 73 and this is my third Vette. My previous car was a C6 base model 2005 with 47,000 miles. I had it for two years but I wanted a Z06. When I found my current car with just 11,000 miles on it, I couldn't resist. So far I am blessed with reasonably good health and can get in and out of it pretty well. The manual transmission makes you feel useful, for a change, but I find myself wishing for an automatic when I am answering my phone or when I am driving through town and trying to drink a milkshake! Heads up display is great to have, and NPP, especially when you drive up to a car show or family gathering. Hopefully you have garage space or else you will be washing it every time you turn around. My advice is "Go for it and don't look back!"

The following 6 users liked this post by Ira T:
johnny3 (07-31-2021), Razorbacker (08-01-2021), Topdown12 (07-28-2021), unkled20 (07-29-2021), USA1 427 (07-28-2021), Verrückt ZR1 (07-28-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-28-2021, 09:15 PM
66 go
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Absolutely get one. 67 1st vette and wish I had known how awesome they are along time ago. Saw it at a dealership super clean M6, 2lt niteblue base and lost it. Once you drive it you are in deep doodoo. You can't stop! Took awhile to use the manual but a riot. Enough power to get in alot of trouble. Tough part as someone said is a tight garage makes it a challenge to get in and out but well worth it! The support and parts galore. These guys here know their stuff for help. Start driving all of the models to really get a feel for them and have fun with the search.
unkled20 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 09:45 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 305 Posts

If you are looking for a fun car, I would suggest a low mileage, 2010 or later Grand Sport convertible. The LS3 engine is very reliable.

The Grand Sport has the wide body and bigger brakes as the Z06 has but with the base drive train.
The following 2 users liked this post by Keppler:
OKIGS12 (07-29-2021), USA1 427 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 09:51 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 731 Likes on 464 Posts

75 here, and drive a 427 C6 vert. If you like shifting, and the whole Corvette experience, get a standard. I love my 427, but for just cruising and driving for the fun of driving........get an automatic. As for roominess and comfort, I'd say it's just a hair smaller than the C5, but it's hard to beat the smoothness on the road. Tons of room in the trunk for when you travel. The vert is take it or leave it for me. I have zero issues getting in and out. Mrs. had a hip replaced last Sept. and has no trouble now at all either.
Grand Sport would be the way to go for you for a fun driver. There are plenty out there!! Heck, come to Carlisle next month. You might find exactly what you're looking for.
unkled20 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:09 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 248 Posts

Hi Doug. And welcome aboard. You’ll find some great folks here with a wealth of information. I think the best advice is to go out and test drive a few. That would include not only the C6 but also a C5 and C7. See which one feels the most comfortable to you. All are beautiful cars and will have superb performance! Then decide how you plan to use the car. Cruising, tracking, car shows etc. That should help you decide on a coupe vs a convertible, and wether a manual vs an automatic transmission. Then narrow down some desired color combos and must have creature comfort or convenience items.

I’m now 71 years old and I’ve had every generation from the C4 thru the C7, with several being convertibles. All were used strictly for cruising, and all were automatics. All have been pretty much trouble free and have their pros and cons. All (with the exception of the C4) were relatively comfortable. You must remember they are sports cars, so don’t expect the same sort of ride you might find from a luxury SUV or sedan. Nor will they be as quiet. You’ll probably find the base models or ones with the mag ride shocks will provide the most comfortable ride.

About a year ago I parted with a base C7 coupe and this spring returned to the C6 coupe. Nothing wrong with the C7, in fact it was probably the most refined of them all. Really an awesome car. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve found that I prefer things that are a bit simpler and a bit more classic. Examples being round gages vs digital dash displays and clean or smooth flowing exterior lines vs the more angular or chiseled look. Also not a fan of scoops, aerodynamic add ones, racing stripes, etc. Found the C6 to be the right combination for me. It’s only drawback was a dated sound system and a lack of a rear backup camera, which I recently addressed by updating the OEM head unit to a new Kenwood DMX907S with wireless Apple Car Play and a rear camera. Other must have items for me was the heads up display, a transparent top, a 2 tone interior, and most of all, chrome wheels! 😂 Most of those options will require a 2 or 3LT trim package.

Good luck with your search. No matter which one you choose you can’t go wrong. IMO, Corvettes are truly the only real American sports car. You’ll love being a part of the Corvette community.

The following 2 users liked this post by Squeaky Wheel:
66 go (07-29-2021), unkled20 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 11:00 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Doug, I agree with others that it is a must that you sit in, and drive, a C6 before you settle on what you want. Some are mentioning the "GS", or Grand Sport. It sits about an inch lower, which might make it harder to get in and out of. The suspension on the GS is stiffer than that on the base model. Again, driving one will show you a lot about whether you can enjoy a C6, and what options you need, or want.

Someone mentioned "harmonic balancer by 75K miles". That is incorrect. The HB is something that may go bad at 10K miles, as has been reported, or it may never go bad, even at 200K, as has been reported. It is correct, though, that it will cost between $1000 and $1500, depending on where you go to have it fixed.

If you decide you do want a C6, there are very likely forum members who live near you, and who would be happy to look at any vehicle you have interest in. If you find something you like, reach out to a local Vette club, or ask on this forum for help. Good luck to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by buckmeister2:
CorvetteSparky (07-29-2021), unkled20 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 06:54 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,772 Likes on 3,041 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Based on the OP's statements, I would chose a NON-Z51.
Must have,the Bose/ Nav option, plus heads up display is very nice.
The full leather option, not so much.
If a Vert, the power top is a must have.

GS vs. regular is the wide fenders and a dry sump engine in the GS which I think would be a summary.
The GS coupe looks very nice, the standard body Vert also looks very nice.

50K mileage is a good number.
These cars are very dependable and predicting failures is difficult.
The one item to look at is the Harmonic Balancer at 50K, in which I could say the life of the HB is 75K.
That is a strong $1K repair cost.
Tire and brake condition could also be a strong $2K maintenance cost.
There are many on this forum with 100K mileage cars.

Lastly, I'll add, make sure your ingress and egress is doable with your young age.
The cars are low to ground with a limit on the roof edge too.

Good luck in your hunt.
Make sure that you can actually get in & out of the car first.....A base model car is all you will need....50k miles is nothing on a properly maintained C6, good luck in your search!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 for an old guy

Old 07-29-2021, 07:22 AM
jjhebigscreen
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

If possible get a car with magnetic ride control. It really smooths out the ride in tour mode with out giving up handling. If you get magnetic ride control you can make it even better with Jim Mero software. I would stay away from a z51 as they ride a little rougher. I'm assuming you want a grand tourer with the smoothest ride possible. Maybe not?
Old 07-29-2021, 07:48 AM
81VETTOM
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Doug;
Welcome and good luck on your search for a nice C6 and yes there are a number of good ones for sale. I have driven a number C2s, C3s C4s, and C5s and had 2 C3s still have 1 of them. Try to join a local club as you will benefit greatly from their experiences especially if you need a repair. When I got into the C6 I dove in head first after finding a deal on an 2005 very early in 2020. It needed work, ((80K miles) has most all the options), OK I knew that and was figured in price. Even with the work I knew it would be a nice or even nicer Vet. One thing is the seats. For me with my arthritis, the drivers seat foam has lost some give. Now, I had planned to fix this anyway by adding more/replacing foam to the seat area. The cupping shape does put extra pressure and makes longer trips less likely until I finish these. I did get a manual and have enjoyed that. Radio (Bose) was OK but after adding a Sony to it a great improvement. Parts are obtainable should you need that finding a good repair shop could be easier in FL. Good luck on your search.

Last edited by 81VETTOM; 07-29-2021 at 07:55 AM. Reason: add
unkled20 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 08:37 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'24

Hi Doug & welcome. I have a 2013 C6 base coupe ,auto..if you want to go for a ride (and possibly drive it) let me know. I see you are in Sarasota, I live in Palmetto just a few miles down the road. I would be happy to get you hooked on the joy of being a Corvette owner.
66 go (07-29-2021)

Quick Reply: C6 for an old guy