C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the "Jake" origin and relation to Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 01:36 PM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 369 Likes on 214 Posts
Default What is the "Jake" origin and relation to Corvette

I see the "Jake" on some Vettes, but I am curious as to how it came about. Anyone have any insight on this?
Old 06-29-2022, 01:38 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

“Jake is the unofficial official mascot of Corvette Racing,” said Jake's creator, Eddie Jabbour of Kick Design. “He really came from the team. I was at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2004 and noticed that the team had adopted skull icons as a symbol of the 'take-no-prisoners' mentality of those intense 24 hours
The following users liked this post:
Sledge Hammer (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 01:40 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

If you follow Corvette Racing, or even the street performance Vettes, then you are familiar with the teams “Jake” skull logo. The logo has adorned the team’s race cars since Le Mans in 2005. Since that time, it has migrated to just about anything related to the racing team and performance street versions of the Vette.

So how did “Jake” come into existence? It started in 2004, with one of Corvette Racing’s truck drivers, Don Male, asking the team boss, Doug Fehan, about putting a skull sticker on one of the cars. Fehan liked the idea and gave Male the go ahead, and as luck would have it, the car won the race!

As with all superstitions, the team was sure the skull brought them good luck and needed to stay. But there was one big problem, the skull logo was copyrighted. As is the way with Corvette Racing, that was not going to stop them, and they decided to just make their own skull logo!

Now the team had a new logo, but what to name it? That’s where legendary Corvette marketing manager Gary Claudio steps in. Claudio allegedly named the skull logo after Jake Blues from the 1980 film The Blues Brothers, fitting seeing as the ruthless Jake character would probably identify with Corvette Racing’s ‘Take No Prisoners’ motto.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:41 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Alternatively, you can go to this link for a very long and drawn out explanation of the history of Jake:

Jake History at length
Old 06-29-2022, 04:46 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
I see the "Jake" on some Vettes, but I am curious as to how it came about. Anyone have any insight on this?
https://lmgtfy.app/?q=where+is+the+c...jake+logo+from
ApexClone (06-30-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To What is the "Jake" origin and relation to Corvette

Quick Reply: What is the "Jake" origin and relation to Corvette