Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] $65000 Z06 (505hp) VS $45000 (400hp) C6 VS $39000 GT500 (475hp)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 08:18 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat04Z06
You know, I was thinking the same thing. When I first typed '00 Cobra R, something didn't look right so I changed it to '01. My bad. He was probably just following my lead. Thanks for correcting that. Seriously though, do you think a pulley alone will be enough to catapult the Gt500 ahead of the Z06? Can a pulley really make that much of a difference? Will it still be safe?
Yes. In Fact the Red GT500 that is being displayed across the country is not the final detuned 5.4. SVT engineer at sebring said that it put down 465REARWHP! on a dyno. I suspect that a larger blower pulley will be on the production model to tame it.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:19 AM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 3850 my sentiments EXACTLY

Originally Posted by phantasms
three eight five zero

that's all i have to say about the GT500

With a curb weight of 3850# and A 57% front weight bias and tires that will be totally over taxed this vehicle is of no interest AND NO competion for the ZO6
Old 06-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Yes and no. I say yes because pullied 03/04 cobras have been putting down a little over 500 at the wheels with nothing but a pulley and a good tune. This with more displacement and much better heads it should do even better. I would bet that with a smaller blower pulley, bigger crank pulley, full exhaust, drop in air filter, and a good tune this car will put down 600+rwhp. If they used the whipple supercharger like the one on the GT (like they should have and is the reason I am not buying one) that number would jump up to 700+. The reason I say no though is because we don't know that pulley swaps will be as easy as they were with the previous cobra. This blower uses a clutch type pulley like the AMG's use. This was due to many cobra owners swapping pulleys and then they would bring there car in for "the tick" and their warranty would be denied.
Unless they are using the 3.3L compressor which their not, they are sort of limited to 600hp by the blower.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:56 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Guru_4_hire
Unless they are using the 3.3L compressor which their not, they are sort of limited to 600hp by the blower.
They are using the twin screw whipple supercharger I have friends with the stock Eaton on 03/04s with 2:73 pulleys with other mods putting down well over 500rwhp. The whipple is well capable of 600
Old 06-11-2005, 12:28 PM
99GTvert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedC6
They are using the twin screw whipple supercharger I have friends with the stock Eaton on 03/04s with 2:73 pulleys with other mods putting down well over 500rwhp. The whipple is well capable of 600
No they aren't using the whipple. The twin screw on the Ford GT is the 2.3L unit from whipple. But whipple and eaton are the same company so eaton gets the OEM blowers and whipple gets the aftermarket. So even though the blower on the GT is a twin screw it is still called an eaton because it is a production car. This is why there was still hope when they said there would be a twinscrew eaton on the GT500. But I read a recent magazine article (motor trend I think) and they said it would be a roots style eaton m112.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:29 PM
99GTvert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Guru_4_hire
There are plenty of stock displacement whippled 03/04 cobras putting down well over 700rwhp with just the 2.3L blower.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:09 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

It is amazing to me how someone who is SO uninformed can make themselves look SO stupid and at the same time be SO sure of themselves. The 03/04 cobras were rated at 390hp. If you knew how to spot the differences between years of cobras I would imagine you would know this. Also if you knew anything about the car you would know that most dyno in the 370-380 range. Also there was no 01 Cobra r it was a 00. I am personally dissappointed with the new GT500 but I can't wait until you run into a pullied one in your new Z and get your *** handed to you.
obviously the uninformed one is you. You don't have a clue! The new Z will easily beat the gt 500. especially if a decnt driver is at the wheel. the best part of the whole thing is you have to put a special part ona car that costs twice what the new z will just to be competitive with it.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:22 PM
hlv
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

My bud had a GT on order since jan and the dealer gave him back
his dep, and said he can not get the car for him. This happend
on 6/10/05 . looks like Ford will not be able to make enought of
them to go around. My son in law is a Ford GM and his store
wanted to get 50 of them, but they can only get 8. I don't
think we will see very many of them around.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:36 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

That's what a lot of people (cough corvette owners cough) don't understand. They can sit back and tell you all day that the corvette will handle better than a cobra. And they are right. But how many of them drive their car to such limits that the cobra will not be able to keep up. Not many.
Same goes with the mustang crowd. I made a comment over at SVTPerformance about how the new C6 was overall the better car, at least compared to the 03/04 Cobra. Needless to say it was moved to the smackdown session and I've been called names, challenged, etc. Point is, most haven't owned both or spent much time in both. It at least helps to know the ins and outs of the cars than just hating because it's a mustang or a chevy.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:50 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

No they aren't using the whipple. The twin screw on the Ford GT is the 2.3L unit from whipple. But whipple and eaton are the same company so eaton gets the OEM blowers and whipple gets the aftermarket. So even though the blower on the GT is a twin screw it is still called an eaton because it is a production car. This is why there was still hope when they said there would be a twinscrew eaton on the GT500. But I read a recent magazine article (motor trend I think) and they said it would be a roots style eaton m112.
Not doubting you but that is what I got from the SVT engineer
Old 06-11-2005, 02:57 PM
roushraven
Coolest Guy Evar!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bunk22
Same goes with the mustang crowd. I made a comment over at SVTPerformance about how the new C6 was overall the better car, at least compared to the 03/04 Cobra. Needless to say it was moved to the smackdown session and I've been called names, challenged, etc. Point is, most haven't owned both or spent much time in both. It at least helps to know the ins and outs of the cars than just hating because it's a mustang or a chevy.
Very true. I saw your post and could only shake my head. I'm fortunate enough to share the perspective daily as I too own both however I have given up trying to get my Blue Oval diehards to understand and appreciate the Corvette without being met with extreme hostility and ignorance.

-RR
Old 06-11-2005, 03:14 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

I'm sorry to hear that since I also post there and other SVT/mustang forum. When I posted a pic and told them I bought a C6 I got alot of postive comments and congrats. Remember there are alot of "KIDS" posting on those boards. They may know their mustang but don't know sh*t about anything else. I've posted this many time that I own both and drive both and they are totally different cars that you can't compare.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:14 PM
99GTvert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blandcastle
obviously the uninformed one is you. You don't have a clue! The new Z will easily beat the gt 500. especially if a decnt driver is at the wheel. the best part of the whole thing is you have to put a special part ona car that costs twice what the new z will just to be competitive with it.
I don't know about what your local shop charges but last time I checked a pulley costs nowhere near as much as a new Z.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:19 PM
99GTvert
Intermediate

Yeah I see what your saying. I guess I should have worded my post differently. Someone was basically attacking the cobra saying that they can't corner and that is simply untrue.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:20 PM
99GTvert
Intermediate

I'm sorry to hear that since I also post there and other SVT/mustang forum. When I posted a pic and told them I bought a C6 I got alot of postive comments and congrats. Remember there are alot of "KIDS" posting on those boards. They may know their mustang but don't know sh*t about anything else. I've posted this many time that I own both and drive both and they are totally different cars that you can't compare.
Yeah I think I remember your car on there. Was it the victory red one? I'm actually really surprised that the guys over there said anything bad about corvettes because they are usually really open to all cars from supras to corvettes and even some Ford GTs.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:54 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Yeah I think I remember your car on there. Was it the victory red one? I'm actually really surprised that the guys over there said anything bad about corvettes because they are usually really open to all cars from supras to corvettes and even some Ford GTs.
Actually, that particular post was fine with only one or two rude comments. I chimed in on a thread started by a troll and have now become the center of hate because of my stance on the C6. I simply said the car was the better car, not faster, not better for drag racing, etc. It's only a few guys but you would think I insulted their mother. I can hold my own, especially on the net but I keep poking away at one guy. I've been called a moron, douchebag, a Navy homo and maybe a few others as well. It's sad but kind of funny too. I'll defend the 03/04 Cobra as well because I think its an awesome car. Just not as awesome as the C6

For those interested, here's the thread and I go by the same screen name, bunk22:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...6&goto=newpost
Old 06-12-2005, 09:08 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Hey Bunk

Check the thread. I posted a comment, lets see if anyone shoots at it!!!

Get notified of new replies

To $65000 Z06 (505hp) VS $45000 (400hp) C6 VS $39000 GT500 (475hp)

Old 06-12-2005, 09:46 AM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Yes and no. I say yes because pullied 03/04 cobras have been putting down a little over 500 at the wheels with nothing but a pulley and a good tune. This with more displacement and much better heads it should do even better. I would bet that with a smaller blower pulley, bigger crank pulley, full exhaust, drop in air filter, and a good tune this car will put down 600+rwhp. If they used the whipple supercharger like the one on the GT (like they should have and is the reason I am not buying one) that number would jump up to 700+. The reason I say no though is because we don't know that pulley swaps will be as easy as they were with the previous cobra. This blower uses a clutch type pulley like the AMG's use. This was due to many cobra owners swapping pulleys and then they would bring there car in for "the tick" and their warranty would be denied.
LOL, 600rwhp is not gonna happen with the stock blower. A lot of 03/04 are at 500rwhp because that is all the blower can support. The extra displacement isn't gonna make up for the fact that the blower is too small. I'd say 530rwhp is all you can expect, even the mustang guys in the know have already concluded that a full bolt-on GT500 is gonna make 515rwhp. At 500rwhp that fuggin lead sled still doesn't even have a power/weight ratio as good as the C6Z. I geusstimate that cam only C6Z's will make up to 600rwhp, at 3130lbs not even many KB cars are stand a chance.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:07 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Hey Bunk

Check the thread. I posted a comment, lets see if anyone shoots at it!!!
I saw. There are some very sensitive people over there. I'm just having fun with that one dude but I think he's very serious
Old 06-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Haa... see what you started. Good thread and interesting posts. Funny how the GM camp comes out against the Ford folks. (this is a Corvette forum....) and then someone mentions America against the imports... I just love cars. Sure, I am very partial to Corvettes, then any GM product, then to an American product... then any car. Whether it be a Z06, GT500, 911, NSX, 69 Chevelle with a rat motor... I am going to mash the loud pedal and get it sideways. No offense to the NCRS guys... but... if you are going to drive it... drive like it's stolen!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAA... clunk.... WAAAAAAAAAAAA.... clunk....VAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAA.... woooooooooooshhhhhhhh

oh and I tend to agree... I do believe folks on the fence for a new "sports" car without having any brand loyalty will look at the new GT500 with smiles. Is it a "SUPERCAR"... to some... no. TO others... that is up to them. I see a lot of mature gentlemen in Corvettes that drive them like family cars. (My dad included in this statement. 63 yrs old and has a 7K mile 01 Vert! Move it grandpa... haahaa)

Last edited by Mr.Gearhead; 06-12-2005 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] $65000 Z06 (505hp) VS $45000 (400hp) C6 VS $39000 GT500 (475hp)