Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Corvette SS/Blue Devil is ON!![Mergedx26]

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Destroked LS7 w/ a twin screw?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ZO6guy
Are there any pics of this So called Blue Devil, Corvette SS? IF so please post.
Can your grandmother tell the difference?

Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I wouldn't get too excited, I have heard a production of 1500 units. With 5,000 Chevy dealers in the U.S. you can start to see how much this car will be Marked up over MSRP. If the car MSRP's at $110,000 count on another $100,000 mark up to start, So how many members of this forum will actually ever get one of these. Look at 06Z's marked up $10-30K and they make 6,000 of those a year the SS or BD will be ridiculously expensive. Due to the price very few people will track these cars.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:50 AM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rare ZO7
Chevy would even be ahead by simply reducing the weight by 400lbs, increasing the exhaust valve size as well as the exhaust ports and offering non runflats w/ a spare. Something in the order of 550HP and 2700lbs, with stickier tires will do the trick. 4.9 to 1 power ratio will suffice. AND just just trans and axle strength for the final touch.
Nah ... that too easy for them. Thats something lowtech we could easily do via aftermarket ... and should ...

GM wants to play in the big leagues with this car. Want to one-up the FGT ... and best the CGT's performance. It will be a hightech, expensive solution .. no doubt.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:56 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default a new and improved gotta have..........

Whoa....this is exciting. IMO such a car is pretty ridiculous. I think if it's built GM will go for higher production numbers and lower cost than many think. They will have to in order to spread development and procurement costs.

My excitement is due to what this car would do to Z06 prices!!!!!!!!

I can't wait. 505 hp is plenty for me for the street ( I am, it should be pointed out, sane. ) No mods required for me.

As soon as the new model is even close to available prices for the base Z06 (IMO) will drop like a rock to msrp or below. That's when I will be ready to buy. Even if most potential buyers cannot afford the new supervette Z06 prices will fall (IMO). It will no longer be anywhere near king of the hill. Egos of the gotta have crowd being what they are....well , you get the idea. Why pay over list for a car ( present Z06) that is as far below the SS as the base C6 is below the Z06? The answer is simple.

I can't wait for the SS. And good grief, driving course or not, all the test pilots who buy this car will cause (IMO) some horrific wrecks judging by what has been happening to Z06 owners who can't control their cars in the least. I wonder who will be insuring this thing?

And yes, as soon as the SS is available the mods will begin done by people who say the factory hp is just not enough? Enough for what?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Whoa....this is exciting. IMO such a car is pretty ridiculous. I think if it's built GM will go for higher production numbers and lower cost than many think. They will have to in order to spread development and procurement costs.

My excitement is due to what this car would do to Z06 prices!!!!!!!!

I can't wait. 505 hp is plenty for me for the street ( I am, it should be pointed out, sane. ) No mods required for me.

As soon as the new model is even close to available prices for the base Z06 (IMO) will drop like a rock to msrp or below. That's when I will be ready to buy. Even if most potential buyers cannot afford the new supervette Z06 prices will fall (IMO). It will no longer be anywhere near king of the hill. Egos of the gotta have crowd being what they are....well , you get the idea. Why pay over list for a car ( present Z06) that is as far below the SS as the base C6 is below the Z06? The answer is simple.

I can't wait for the SS. And good grief, driving course or not, all the test pilots who buy this car will cause (IMO) some horrific wrecks judging by what has been happening to Z06 owners who can't control their cars in the least. I wonder who will be insuring this thing?

And yes, as soon as the SS is available the mods will begin done by people who say the factory hp is just not enough? Enough for what?
"prices drop like a rock"?? yeah right...been hearing that one for a while now. The Blue Devil/SS whatever, if it happens, will have some effect, but it's going to be a while before that happens, if at all.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:09 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CB1953
"prices drop like a rock"?? yeah right...been hearing that one for a while now. The Blue Devil/SS whatever, if it happens, will have some effect, but it's going to be a while before that happens, if at all.

Pretty much everyone here agrees that an SS will be a different market segment. Therefore, little or no effect on the current Z06. And what does "drop like a rock" mean anyway? Down to msrp from $5k over?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk

Pretty much everyone here agrees that an SS will be a different market segment. Therefore, little or no effect on the current Z06. And what does "drop like a rock" mean anyway? Down to msrp from $5k over?

I can't wait to see the configuration of the car. Do you think GM will ever do a mid-engine type. Itwould be cool to see in the Corvette SS.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:47 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Futfixr

I can't wait to see the configuration of the car. Do you think GM will ever do a mid-engine type. Itwould be cool to see in the Corvette SS.
I've seen the mid-engine prototypes which were rather exciting to me but I don't think it will happen until ALL Vettes become mid-engined. In the real world of the manufacturing business, cars like the Z06 or SS are subsidized by the lesser models which sell in larger numbers because of the trickledown from the high end models that get all the press and break all the records. JMHO but the SS, if it happens, won't be that much different from what we have today.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rare ZO7
Are you ready to spend $110,000+ for the Corvette? Chevy would even be ahead by simply reducing the weight by 400lbs, increasing the exhaust valve size as well as the exhaust ports and offering non runflats w/ a spare. Something in the order of 550HP and 2700lbs, with stickier tires will do the trick. 4.9 to 1 power ratio will suffice. AND just just trans and axle strength for the final touch.
Rare Z06, you can't take it with you. Spend a little of those $$ and have some fun. It will be lighter but how much I don't know.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I've seen the mid-engine prototypes which were rather exciting to me but I don't think it will happen until ALL Vettes become mid-engined. In the real world of the manufacturing business, cars like the Z06 or SS are subsidized by the lesser models which sell in larger numbers because of the trickledown from the high end models that get all the press and break all the records. JMHO but the SS, if it happens, won't be that much different from what we have today.
Exactly... the SS won't be a different car, it'll be a modded z06.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
I wouldn't get too excited, I have heard a production of 1500 units. With 5,000 Chevy dealers in the U.S. you can start to see how much this car will be Marked up over MSRP.
The car may be sold as Porsche Sells their GT3 cup cars. a very few selected dealers may sell the car. Only dealers that are invovlved in racing, not necessarly the big volume dealers.

figure 125 large would be my guess.

The National Corvette Musem is doing a 2 day High Performance Drivers Event at Putnum Park in Indian june 5 & 6. Mr Wallace and 22 other corvette engineers will be in attendance at this school. Sorry sold out.

Mr Wallace will be our of our instructors.

Persoanlly I would like to see a steel frame so we can put a roll cage in.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:17 PM
hlv
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I was told on sat, by a guy who has a son in charge of the design of one the systems on our cars.( I won't saw witch one I don't want to
get him in hot water ) He said they have a LS7 that is making over 700
hp and 600 foot pounds of torque.It is on the shelf and they are waiting
for Dodge to step up to the plate.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Exactly... the SS won't be a different car, it'll be a modded z06.
But only weighing in at #2900,Lexon windows and Aero body panels
Old 05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

The price target on the "SS" will be much higher than the current C6Z and not affordable to many who have or want a Z and will not have an effect on the C6z values. The depreciation on the Z will eventually follow normal patterns. I don't really care, I'm driving the top dog now -and it doesn't hurt that I drove a GM car off the showroom floor months ago and it is actually worth more now. But in the end, it will depreciate.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:02 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z11409
But only weighing in at #2900,Lexon windows and Aero body panels
I heard that all the body panels would be carbon fiber. And it would weigh in around 2750lbs. Wow, it almost seems like about a year ago when we were discussing the same topics with the Z. I am pretty sure no one here is disappointed with that car, so I am sure that the new SS, if indeed it does come to fruition, will be incredible .
Old 05-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by phantasms

Wallace said GM is considering requiring that Blue Devil—and even Z06—buyers attend a driver school as part of the price of admission.

Ford used to do it with its early 90's Cobra R's. You could only purchase one if you had an SCCA license. A regular C5 would be enough to out perform those cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette SS/Blue Devil is ON!![Mergedx26]

Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, if they do build a supervette, a lot of people won't be able to afford it but a select few on this board. You can expect those puppies to be marked up just like the Ford GTs. Can you imagine a vette that will got your 300 big ones to have.. ouch!!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:22 PM
wotz06
Instructor

I think the SCCA License is a good idea. Makes a lot more people get more track experience, even if by that time they can't get an SS.

If GM really has the LS7 that's putting out 700hp and 600lb/ft of torque, what else did they do to it? I can't wait to see... I hope they stay NA with it. I mean, FI is cool and all, but I want my Vette to be completely natural and all badass.

Supposedly, the Viper guys are expecting 650hp next year, from what I heard from one of my best guy friends who has the new coupe. That's just the word on the street...
Old 05-02-2006, 06:34 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by vettemaster1
blows me away that people want more power.....most of the high hp vettes i have seen CANNOT put the power down....the 600-800 rear horse cars just break the rear tires loose in any gear/ at any speed.....damn,things get REALLY scarry when the rear tires start breaking loose at 110 ....[ i am not talking dedicated drag/ race cars]
so i agree with Wallace, figuring out how to get the car to be driveable is the hardest thing...

I know very few people who can handle that kind of power....school should be mandatory for that car....
Bugatti guys figured out a way with about 1000 ponies, do you think the engineers at GM will consider electronically controlled all wheel drive?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Corvette SS/Blue Devil is ON!![Mergedx26]