Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Friend is PO'd: previous owner took the car above 200MPH 3x

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:45 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
they also presented him with a print out of the black box data. the car had 3 trips to 200+ mph.
Did you ask them to retrieve that info?
Can a dealer legally pull the info from the "black box" without your consent and deny warranty?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Leroy Amy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PcarRacr
Who care's. If it runs good and looks good that's all that matters. Also that's the risk you take when buying a used vehicle. The C6Z is what it is. I think anyone who doesn't drive the **** out of their Z should be slapped. If you don't experience what the car has to offer you are missing the whole reason all those engineers dedicated so much time making the vehicle the fortunate few of us get to own. If you want a crusier get a regular C6.

Chad

Sounds good to me, thats what this car wants "TO BE DRIVEN". Nothing wrong with that, as long as it was SLAMED.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:54 PM
jmc5
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...ers/index.html

I really think the dealer was making things up.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Leroy Amy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmc5

Maybe he didn't sell the car to the customer!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by jmc5

I agree. In all of my use of the Tech 2 I have not seen any data recorded on top speed or number of times at that speed. I have only seen freeze frames of failure cores that record data including vehicle speed.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:08 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
I agree. In all of my use of the Tech 2 I have not seen any data recorded on top speed or number of times at that speed. I have only seen freeze frames of failure cores that record data including vehicle speed.
i was told what i said in my post. i will try to get more info for you guys in the next couple of days

my thinking so far is that the extensive parts replacements for this warantee work got them to take a closer look at the box.

i am 99% sure my friend did not ask for this info but that they showed it to him
Old 11-07-2006, 09:19 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The top speed could have been done on a dyno.

Don't know how the new Z works but on our semi tractors at work the computer stores the top speed, avg speed, mpg, idle time, and lots more accessed by the software we got from Cummins.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Vette
Maybe I need therapy. Do they have a class like "Auto Abuse," how to run the **** out of your car in 2 easy lessons.
Yes! It's called the NCM Corvette HPDE. Try it, you'll love it.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:48 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 756 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Vette
I'm beginning to feel pretty out of synch because I don't run the **** out of my car.

I seldom go over 5,000 RPMs. I never stretch it out in first gear, sometimes in second and never in third or fourth.

I use the acceleration intermittently for the G-force buzz, but do not wring it out. Roll from 20 to 90 then back'er down.

Maybe I need therapy. Do they have a class like "Auto Abuse," how to run the **** out of your car in 2 easy lessons.
Sorry man, but were you breast fed until twelve?

Just because someone uses the car for its built intent doesn't mean it was abused.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:51 PM
roboz
Racer

Scene: At the mandatory DMV weekly black box check point

OK we just pulled the Data from your black box ...
seems like you have 82 speeding tickets this week ..
total $5675.00 in fines..Cash or Credit ?

George Orwell II- from the book - 2024

Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cosmic, thats crazy. You've never ever ran the car to redline? To be honest, I'm not sure that kind of treatment is healthy long term. These motors need to run at least a little bit.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 756 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
Cosmic, thats crazy. You've never ever ran the car to redline? To be honest, I'm not sure that kind of treatment is healthy long term. These motors need to run at least a little bit.
He probably cries at a car race on TV. Too much torture.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

I'll call the BS flag on this one:
"Can the EDR record where a vehicle was or how fast it was going at any given time?

GM EDRs do not continuously record vehicle speed data that is capable of being accessed. Only in the event of a crash will such data be recorded. The EDR typically does not record location or other outside conditions. "

Unless this vehicle crashed in the moments prior to the inspection, there is only a small amount of data available, showing only the previous few seconds of time.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:21 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey, maybe this car did crash three times at 200+. Hence the data capture. Ok, only 6 lives left.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:36 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I'll call the BS flag on this one:
"Can the EDR record where a vehicle was or how fast it was going at any given time?

GM EDRs do not continuously record vehicle speed data that is capable of being accessed. Only in the event of a crash will such data be recorded. The EDR typically does not record location or other outside conditions. "

Unless this vehicle crashed in the moments prior to the inspection, there is only a small amount of data available, showing only the previous few seconds of time.
I think you are basically correct. It is my understanding that it continuously logs all the data for the last 20 or 30 seconds. So anything that was done previous to 30 seconds is gone. This way, there is retrievable data in the actions leading up to a crash but not much more.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:11 PM
2000blkconv
Advanced

Cosmic you're not alone. By the way I've been meaning to tell you that your silver looks absolutely awesome with chrome wheels, is the only color I like with chrome. I take extremely good care of all my cars, specifically one worth this kind of money.....I firmly believe in "laize faire", I say to anyone, it's your car, treat it as you please. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla, we're all a little different.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

I bet it also showed the number of times he drove though McDonalds, average owner swear words per mile of traffic and the location of Voyager in light years from the Onstar satellite

Get notified of new replies

To Friend is PO'd: previous owner took the car above 200MPH 3x

Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 PM
06C6Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
I be more concerned with one bad drag racing launch then numerous top speed runs. I say, big deal.

top speed is just running through the gears, drag racing is brutal.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:29 PM
EVOMIND
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt read through all the posts, but if the dealer fixed the stuff except maybe the clutch under warranty, who cares?
so the car was driven. its a USED car.
i bought a used z. wouldnt bother me if the car was driven hard. i drive it hard. it runs great. what else do ya need to know?
id be impressed if my car was a 200mph car
Old 11-07-2006, 11:36 PM
DBC
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Wahhhhhh

Typical buyers remorse. If GM does not want a car to travel at 200mph, then do not announce a top speed of 198mph. If your friend does not want a USED car to have travelled at 200 mph, then buy new. Otherwise, How many people are going to buy a C6 Z06 with a 176bhp engine. The only people I know are those who think that a Lamborghini "replicar" is just as good as a "real" lamborghini. Have your friend trade it in on a 1986 Fiero "Ferrari", then he'll be happy that no one travelled at 200mph in his car!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Friend is PO'd: previous owner took the car above 200MPH 3x