Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Halltech Stage 3 "Beehive pkg." results are in

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 AM
thumperZ06
Great State of Utah
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Default Option

Originally Posted by Ranger
I appreciate the sentiment, Gary.

But, I'm nurturing the relationship with the last two accessible tracks I've not been banned from.

Ranger
Ranger

Consider a disguise and drive someone else's modified Z06. I would offer mine without any hesitation! But we're on the opposite coasts.
damn it!

ThumperZ06
Old 02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Optional show engine upgrade package:

Pricing:

Katech Valve covers: $464
Billet inserts (Halltech or Katech Performance): $125/pr
Katech coil relocation kit w/MSD wires: $330 (Choice of Red, Blue or Black wires)
Show prep and paint valve covers: $456 (Any Z06 color)
Show prep and paint intake manifold: $513 (Any Z06 color)
New intake manifold (if you do not supply your core): $292
Paint and materials: $135

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Katech
Optional show engine upgrade package:

Pricing:

Katech Valve covers: $464
Billet inserts (Halltech or Katech Performance): $125/pr
Katech coil relocation kit w/MSD wires: $330 (Choice of Red, Blue or Black wires)
Show prep and paint valve covers: $456 (Any Z06 color)
Show prep and paint intake manifold: $513 (Any Z06 color)
New intake manifold (if you do not supply your core): $292
Paint and materials: $135
Halltech Pricing:

Halltech Beehive™ Package-538 RWHP/486 ft. lbs Torque

Price: $2859.00 USD (Shipping not included)
(Long Tube Headers not included in pricing)

Halltech teams up with Katech to bring you the ultimate killer street package, the Halltech Beehive™ Package for the C6Z06. 538 RWHP/486 ft. lbs Torque. (Long Tube Headers onboard for testing, not included in pricing) Pricing includes: Halltech EMAILTUNE™ Package including three different tuning options. Tuning with Halltech's RACE Filter and Street Filter. Includes the LS2Edit Cable, Software, and single License. Tech support and tuning from Jim Hall by email. Halltech Ported Throttle Body; Halltech RACE F1P30Z HoneyFoam™ Beehive Filter, Halltech 2-Stage Foam Element. Katech LS7 Torquer Camshaft Kit P/N: KAT-4727 (Enhances the LS7 even further with mountains of torque. 220 / 244 @ .050, .615 / .648 lift, 110 LSA Good drivability and that classic muscle car lope.) Katech Beehive™ High Performance valve springs, for better control at high rpm Katech titanium retainers. Optional at additional cost: LG Longtube Header(with Cats) Katech Coil Relocation Package and MSD Wires Katech Billet Belt Tensioner Katech Color Matched Velocity Yellow (Lemans Blue, Red or Machine Silvercolor-Your choice) Valve Covers, with billet Halltech Logo. Katech Color Matched Intake Manifold (No Exchange) Shipping not included in this pricing. This package may void your warranty and is not CARB legal in CA.

To Order: http://www.corvettec5.com/store/?pag...11a5a332aa093b

Jim Hall

Last edited by Halltech; 02-16-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Webfoot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Superb numbers! I didn't see the ported throttle body listed in the package. Has it been dropped from Stage 3? The $2,859 excludes it?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Webfoot
Superb numbers! I didn't see the ported throttle body listed in the package. Has it been dropped from Stage 3? The $2,859 excludes it?
Yes, it is included in the pricing. Thanks for catching that error. The CNC Ported Throttle Body is a brand new GM throttle body, CNC Ported for Halltech.

Jim
Old 02-16-2007, 10:08 PM
difflvl
Instructor

On a dynojet this would be what..590rwhp?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by difflvl

Possibly. Depends on whose you're on
Old 02-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02-17-2007, 01:21 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So you're saying Jim's bolt-car would do 530rwhp with bolt-on's on a dynojet? That seems unreasonable based on the fact that most c6z's have done 480rwhp (+/-) with bolt on's historically on a dynojet.

Looks like bad math to me. 494rwhp on a mustang dyno vs. 480rwhp on a dynojet with bolt on's when mustang dynos are known to read low?

Regardless, its a 44hp increase from bolt-on's to stage 3 cam, nothing too amazing.

I wouldn't want to be the first guy to try this on a dynojet. I'm not sure what is going on with the numbers, but something doesn't line up.

Last edited by jhester; 02-17-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jhester
So you're saying Jim's bolt-car would do 530rwhp with bolt-on's on a dynojet? That seems unreasonable based on the fact that most c6z's have done 480rwhp (+/-) with bolt on's historically on a dynojet.

Looks like bad math to me. 494rwhp on a mustang dyno vs. 480rwhp on a dynojet with bolt on's when mustang dynos are known to read low?

Regardless, its a 44hp increase from bolt-on's to stage 3 cam, nothing too amazing.

I wouldn't want to be the first guy to try this on a dynojet. I'm not sure what is going on with the numbers, but something doesn't line up.

Our Z06 did 476.77 RWHP on the Dynojet last year (Jan 06) with just Halltech tuning, stock filter onboard, no other mods.

Vipervetteguy from the forum did 496/471 with our Stage 1 (no ported throttle body) and the LG Longtube Headers no cats on a Dynojet
(The Halltech Stage 1 Package plus Long Tube Headers)

Our car did 494/450 on the Mustang dyno two weeks ago with our Stage 2, plus Long tubes.

The Katech Cam package is not considered "Bolt On" and did make 538 RWHP/ 486.1 RWT on the Mustang Chassis dyno, a few days later.

Those numbers seems to be pretty straight forward to me.

If you are referring to the Dynojet to Mustang dyno conversion, it really makes no difference here, since Katech has dynoed engines on the engine dyno under precise, scientific repeatable conditions, then dynoed the same motor, once installed in the car, on the Mustang Dyno and calculates the conversion factors run between 16 and 16.4% drivetrain loss. Converting to Flywheel is a lot easier that converting from chassis to chassis dynos.

I think what Jason is saying, is that when you can a fresh virgin Z06 on the Mustang Dyno, they see around 420 RWHP. We have increased that number by 118 RWHP with our Beehive package. Nothing fuzzy about that.

Jim
Old 02-17-2007, 06:06 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok Jim, let me try to get this straight.

Originally Posted by Jim Hall
Our Z06 did 476.77 RWHP on the Dynojet last year (Jan 06) with just Halltech tuning, stock filter onboard, no other mods.

Vipervetteguy from the forum did 496/471 with our Stage 1 (no ported throttle body) and the LG Longtube Headers no cats on a Dynojet

Our car did 494/450 on the Mustang dyno two weeks ago with our Stage 2, plus Long tubes.
Based on the datapoints you are giving above, I am seeing almost a flat comparision from dynojet to mustang dyno. You go on to confirm this point later.

If you are referring to the Dynojet to Mustang dyno conversion, it really makes no difference here, since Katech has dynoed engines on the engine dyno under precise, scientific repeatable conditions, then dynoed the same motor, once installed in the car, on the Mustang Dyno and calculates the conversion factors run between 16 and 16.4% drivetrain loss. Converting to Flywheel is a lot easier that converting from chassis to chassis dynos.
(my emphasis added)
So, from this paragraph I am gathering that you agree that the mustang dyno and the dynojet are fairly equal numbers wise. Then you go on to elude that the Katech dyno is converting to flywheel numbers? Are these rwhp numbers converted with a 16.0-16.4% offset to approximate flywheel numbers? I am getting confused again.

I think what Jason is saying, is that when you can a fresh virgin Z06 on the Mustang Dyno, they see around 420 RWHP. We have increased that number by 118 RWHP with our Beehive package. Nothing fuzzy about that.

Jim
Now Jim what is fuzzy is the fact that several posts in this thread seem to hint at the fact that because this was a mustang dyno the numbers are lower. Your post seems to dispute that, and I appreciate your honesty, but I am trying to compare this cam package to several of the other offerings and I am having trouble.

Katech themselves seemed to suggest that the dyno read low:
Originally Posted by difflvl
That is where I have a problem. You are telling me to try to not look at comparing your numbers to dynojet numbers (and I can understand that arguement), but then you go on to quote several datapoints which support the fact that your mustang numbers are EQUAL to dynojet numbers.

Long story short: If you put this package on a dynojet, what do you think the rwhp result will be?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:32 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The Katech Cam package is not considered "Bolt On" and did make 538 RWHP/ 486.1 RWT on the Mustang Chassis dyno, a few days later.

Those numbers seems to be pretty straight forward to me.

Jim
Hi Jim:

Just want to make sure I am reading this correctly. You went from 420 RWHP to 494RWHP with the same car on the same dyno - a gain of 74 RWHP - with Halltech tune, LT headers, ported throttle body, and race filter.

Is this correct?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by jhester
Long story short: If you put this package on a dynojet, what do you think the rwhp result will be?
Bluntly put... who cares? I have always hated chassis dynos and they are skewing everybody's perception. I assume you want to know what we think the dynojet numbers will be because you are going to make comparisons to other tuners in other states on other dynos (which they use to sell thier products). The fact is we made a comparison from start to finish on the same dyno and documented the results. That is just about the only thing a chassis dyno is good for - a before and after comparison. If you are shopping around for the last few horsepower go ahead, but unless the tests are on the same chassis dyno by the same company, you are shooting at a moving target. The proof is in the pudding, not on the paper. If you really want to get a good idea of how the results are, ask some of Halltech's customers or some of Katech's customers how the car feels to them. I think an unbiased customer testimonial is far better than chassis dyno sheets.

I know this posts comes off very blunt and read the wrong way could sound angry, but trust me I'm not. I'm just trying to get my point across and I'm not singling out anybody here.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dgdoc
Hi Jim:

Just want to make sure I am reading this correctly. You went from 420 RWHP to 494RWHP with the same car on the same dyno - a gain of 74 RWHP - with Halltech tune, LT headers, ported throttle body, and race filter.

Is this correct?
Nope. We never dynoed our car new on the Mustang Dyno. I think Jason said that was the normal number for a new Z06.

The 494/450 numbers were done prior to the cam installation on the Mustang.

The 538/486 numbers were done after the cam installation on the Mustang.

I have no idea what these numbers would look like on the DynoJet, but when the weather breaks we'll know.

The plan is to get a baseline prior to a new Halltech Intake coming this Spring.

As far as my interpretation of the Mustang vs. the Dynojet. I really don't know what the differences are. I don't think it really matters.

I realize that comparing numbers from the Mustang to the Dynojet is like Apples and Oranges, but for those that must have Dynojet numbers to purchase anything, they'll be available this Spring, so you'll just have to wait until then to make your buying decision.

Jim
Old 02-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Mickie Poon
Advanced

Bluntly put... who cares? I have always hated chassis dynos and they are skewing everybody's perception. I assume you want to know what we think the dynojet numbers will be because you are going to make comparisons to other tuners in other states on other dynos (which they use to sell thier products). The fact is we made a comparison from start to finish on the same dyno and documented the results. That is just about the only thing a chassis dyno is good for - a before and after comparison. If you are shopping around for the last few horsepower go ahead, but unless the tests are on the same chassis dyno by the same company, you are shooting at a moving target. The proof is in the pudding, not on the paper. If you really want to get a good idea of how the results are, ask some of Halltech's customers or some of Katech's customers how the car feels to them. I think an unbiased customer testimonial is far better than chassis dyno sheets.

I know this posts comes off very blunt and read the wrong way could sound angry, but trust me I'm not. I'm just trying to get my point across and I'm not singling out anybody here.
Amen Brother
Old 02-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey, it is WHAT IT IS! My money is on Jim and Jason. Want to race?
Old 02-17-2007, 09:42 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
Hey, it is WHAT IT IS! My money is on Jim and Jason. Want to race?
Pain, you got to quit pickin on people..............

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Stage 3 "Beehive pkg." results are in

Old 02-17-2007, 10:28 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

THat is some insanely dirt cheap horsepower right there! You get into a 625 hp corvette for the price of about 5K over the cost of the car.

Kids - it doesn't get much better than that! The only thing better will be when people are paying $550 for a pulley upgrade on the Blue Devil (or whatever it'll be called) and getting similar power increases - and yes, the pulleys will cost that much!

Technology has allowed these cars to be absolute monsters!!! Any other car on the road that is even close to a new Z has at least 400 lbs more on the wheels, meaning it needs a solid 100 hp more just to keep up, and now, with the free ponies kicking and screaming from under the hood..............hell, a lambo will need 725 hp just to keep pace. That is coooooooooooool. New Z has bang for the buck BIG TIME!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:19 PM
vettemnstr
7th Gear

Default More confused than ever.....

I do understand that dyno variation exists and Jason is right....who cares about this number. That being said, I'll provide a real world example of why this matters. I'll start off by apologizing for bringing specific tuners in on this deal but it is necessary. I've been talking to MTI racing as they're close to me (I'm in FL). Their package makes about 550 rwhp on their dyno. I honestly don't know if it's a dyno jet or a mustang. If it is a dynojet and the insinuation here is that Halltech beehive can make 590 on that dyno then it IS worth the comparison. That's nearly a 10% difference. 40 Hp is definitely a considerable difference. Saying that these numbers don't matter is like saying that the difference in price between a Z06 and a Porsche 911 TT don't matter. That's just not the case. Anyway, does anyone know who's in the Tampa area that can do the install? Sorry for beating a dead horse on this but I just needed to say it.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by vettemnstr
I do understand that dyno variation exists and Jason is right....who cares about this number. That being said, I'll provide a real world example of why this matters. I'll start off by apologizing for bringing specific tuners in on this deal but it is necessary. I've been talking to MTI racing as they're close to me (I'm in FL). Their package makes about 550 rwhp on their dyno. I honestly don't know if it's a dyno jet or a mustang. If it is a dynojet and the insinuation here is that Halltech beehive can make 590 on that dyno then it IS worth the comparison. That's nearly a 10% difference. 40 Hp is definitely a considerable difference. Saying that these numbers don't matter is like saying that the difference in price between a Z06 and a Porsche 911 TT don't matter. That's just not the case. Anyway, does anyone know who's in the Tampa area that can do the install? Sorry for beating a dead horse on this but I just needed to say it.
When we get our car back this week, we'll finish our new Carbon Fiber Killer Bee AIS and get the car out to MN, to the DynoJet where we first dynoed our car stock.

This will address these questions, but I do see your point. It just that we are trying to show increases from our Stage 1 to the Beehive, and not directly compare this package to any particular tuner's package.

Jim

Quick Reply: [Z06] Halltech Stage 3 "Beehive pkg." results are in