Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Headers/Intake & Tune...Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:51 AM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Headers/Intake & Tune...Yes or No?

I would appreciate any help regarding C6 Z06 aftermarket headers. Seems clear to me (from posts) is that if your gonna do a cam you'll need to do headers in order to realize the benefit (hp) of the cam. OK, I get it....assuming improved intake, along with more engine power (cam), you'll need better exhaust (including headers) to leverage or balance the system....right?

But, what/if any, is the benefit of adding (just) headers....over and above intake and tune? A respected Forum vendor has recently posted that headers are the next logical upgrade after intake and tune...even after stipulating that the stock headers are quite good and aftermarket only bring 5-8 additional hp.
So
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
To be honest, the car is already wonderfully responsive and fast. I just find myself chasing the old school sound.....but don't want to break into the engine and risk my warranty....

Thanks in advance for any comments/thoughts/recommendations.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:13 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by XC5VETTE
I would appreciate any help regarding C6 Z06 aftermarket headers. Seems clear to me (from posts) is that if your gonna do a cam you'll need to do headers in order to realize the benefit (hp) of the cam. OK, I get it....assuming improved intake, along with more engine power (cam), you'll need better exhaust (including headers) to leverage or balance the system....right?

But, what/if any, is the benefit of adding (just) headers....over and above intake and tune? A respected Forum vendor has recently posted that headers are the next logical upgrade after intake and tune...even after stipulating that the stock headers are quite good and aftermarket only bring 5-8 additional hp.
So
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
To be honest, the car is already wonderfully responsive and fast. I just find myself chasing the old school sound.....but don't want to break into the engine and risk my warranty....

Mr. XC5Vette,

Your above insertion is correct, however, if your goal is to make 498 to 508rwhp with out getting inside the engine, then you will need headers.

None of our bolt-ons car made 500 to 510rwhp w/o headers, and the one cam car made 512 w/o headers (he lost 40rwhp w/cam and w/o the headers)

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 AM
GrillnZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Mr. XC5Vette,

... and the one cam car made 512 w/o headers (he lost 40rwhp w/cam and w/o the headers)

Thanks,
Carlos
No lie? I wasn't planning on doing headers since most saw negligible gains. Did the car have stock exhaust?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:18 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by XC5VETTE

So
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

The last Z06 that I worked on that had headers, Corsas and a CAI and a dyno tune only netted 32hp gain over stock. Some of that was attributed to retuning the PCM and the rest was with the headers and mufflers. I don't know what the actual gain is if any was due to the rear Corsas. Jason at Katech says there is only 5hp or so to the wheels with a set of Corsas on a Z. Personally I would prefer to sacrifice the Hp and keep my car quiet and save $1k+ for the Corsas.

Installing a set of headers with high flow CATs will increase the noise level some but not much. I will be modifying my personal Z soon. I may just bolt on the headers first, then dyno it to see what gains I got from headers only. But I have been so busy lately that I can't seem to find the time to work on my own car. Not to mention installing the headers, and removing them again when I can just do the whole head and cam package all at once. Instead of installing each peice, testing and doing it again.

Last edited by tjwong; 09-27-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

headers make a noticeable difference in terms of torque, hp and sound even on a stock tuned motor. I have LGM headers & high flow cats, tune, K & N intake and stock exhaust and it is night and day difference in sound and power. Corsas add weigh and -0- power and run about $1500. They are a high quality product and may cut resonance, but you would add these only for sound. You will not need the car meaner sounding with headers and stock exhaust.

The people whinning about headers are those that do not want to drop the $2000 for the headers, high-flow cats and install. This is understandable.

You will get some low rpm drone on easy throttle roll-ons below 2000 rpms with headers. This is only really an issue with highway crusing as you will be in 5th rather than 6th to avoid the drone unless you are crusining at 85mph or above.

Good luck on your choices!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 AM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of us are whining about the headers because we only saw minimal (very) gain. The Z06 already has outstanding flow. On my 06 Z51 I saw a 9 hp gain. On my 2007 Z06 I got 2 hp. Thats it. Thats all. The sound was great but not worth it on a stock (just tuning and airbox) motor.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

hmmmm

2 completely conflicting accounts regarding headers.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 102 Posts

I've repeatedly, on different dynos, put down over 490 (with my highest 496/471, corrected) I have LGs, no cats and Halltech tune. I don't recall seeing other's numbers, w/o headers, being close to that. (at least not within 2hp) The large torque gains in the midrange are even more important to me than those peak numbers. Longtubes (catless) yield an awesome shriek at WOT!

Still need to dyno now that we've installed the KB.

OOps.... also had F1.

Last edited by vipervetteguy; 09-27-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:27 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vipervetteguy
I've repeatedly, on different dynos, put down over 490 (with my highest 496/471, corrected) I have LGs, no cats and Halltech tune. I don't recall seeing other's numbers, w/o headers, being close to that. (at least not within 2hp) The large torque gains in the midrange are even more important to me than those peak numbers. Longtubes (catless) yield an awesome shriek at WOT!

i'd like to see catted LT cars compared to stock as the stock system obviously has cats. comparing cat-less LT numbers to catted stock seems kind of unfair
Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 09-27-2007, 01:59 PM
GrillnZ
Pro

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
hmmmm

2 completely conflicting accounts regarding headers.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:18 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
i'd like to see catted LT cars compared to stock as the stock system obviously has cats. comparing cat-less LT numbers to catted stock seems kind of unfair
I actually agree with you, but haven't seen that comparison. I'm thinking catless is only worth a few hp, though.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Nice work

Here is a LG Pro car WITH cats, K&N, and tune.

We are typically only seeing a 2-5rwhp loss with the cats.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

What does he mean by "nice work'?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:59 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Anthony,

do you have a filter/tune car you could post a dyno sheet for or over lay it on the one already posted?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:24 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

What does he mean by "nice work'?

Good Dyno numbers...hitting almost 500rwhp with just headers and a tune.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GrillnZ
No lie? I wasn't planning on doing headers since most saw negligible gains. Did the car have stock exhaust?
No lie my friend....no lie!

Yes, we installed his original 2007 units back on the car and noticed the drop in performance. We are re-installing his headers/X-pipe combo as soon as he returns from a business trip.

My honest advise: do all the basic bolt-ons and mods FIRST (tuning, Killer Bee/Vette-Air, 160* stat, Ported Intake & TB and TR6 plugs...gapped between 0.32 and 0.40); leave the headers for last.

Thanks,
Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To Headers/Intake & Tune...Yes or No?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:06 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob07Z06LMB
Some of us are whining about the headers because we only saw minimal (very) gain. The Z06 already has outstanding flow. On my 06 Z51 I saw a 9 hp gain. On my 2007 Z06 I got 2 hp. Thats it. Thats all. The sound was great but not worth it on a stock (just tuning and airbox) motor.

I gained 4 peak rwhp. A friend with a different brand of headers saw 2 peak rwhp. On the flip side, both gained more than 10 ft lbs of mid range torque (below the peak). And the sound is better, deeper. But the drone is louder.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:29 PM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got mine dyno'd by Carmen at Vette Doctors today. I have a tune with KB intake and am getting 490rwhp with 480 tq. And I dont have the headers. Tried in both ways. Today was very warm and extremely humid and I pulled these numbers twice.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:57 PM
4MuscleMachines
Burning Brakes

This is interesting, here is a post showing 509 peak HP and 484 TQ with a stock exhaust, no cam. Only bolt-ons (ported intake and TB as well) and a tune.

This is the way I want to go to achieve over 500rwhp.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1780523

Quick Reply: [Z06] Headers/Intake & Tune...Yes or No?