Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 03-25-2015, 06:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

[Z06] Definitive Visor Warning Label Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Didn't know it could be done on an '09. It almost looks silkscreened on... Hmmm...
Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnTheStigGalt
Didn't know it could be done on an '09. It almost looks silkscreened on... Hmmm...
I agree -- you go first.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM
cooldog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat gun on low worked great for me. No visible adhesive left behind.

I'll brush it w/o Goo Gone first, and see if that's sufficient.

Originally Posted by Ravine Speed
Forum members, I know there have been several threads on this, but after reading all of them, and now removing 9 warning labels from 4 cars (my wife's Durango had two on the driver's visor) I can now give definitive guidance. I have done both, in-car removal (the Z06, because I couldn't figure out how to remove the visors without damage) and in the house after removal from the car. Clearly, it is easier if you can remove the visors, in all my other cars there were 2 or 3 screws and a wire connector per visor and doing the job on the kitchen counter was much easier, but I did the Z06 last in the car with the same results. Here's the procedure:
Tools: hair dryer, very sharp small knife (I used a Swiss Army knife), Goo Gone, clean cotton towel, small stiff brush (I used a plastic fingernail brush).
Steps:
1. heat up the label with the hair dryer. do this carefully because the polyester fabric can burn/melt, the hotter the better on the label though because more of the glue comes off with the label the hotter it is. This took 3-5 minutes to heat up the label sufficiently, with the hair dryer about 1 inch from the label.
2. with the knife, scrape up one of the corners carefully, while running the dryer on the label, if it is hot enough, the corner should come up a little bit. Grip the corner with your fingers and continue slowly pulling the label away from the visor, again while keeping the hair dryer aimed at the label.
3. the label should pull away fairly easily, but keep the dryer aimed at the portion of the label that is still attached to the visor. Once it's off it's off.
4. now, what you will see is a slight indentation in the fabric and a very thin film/sheen of glue in the outline of where the label had been.
5. dab on a liberal amount of the Goo Gone in the indentation. don't use enough to drip, but paint it on well.
6. carefully, heat up the area where the Goo Gone is with the hair dryer. this should be quite warm, but not too hot.
7. wipe away the Goo Gone and glue with the towel, scrub the visor with the towel well, pulling the towel back and forth, up and down. I found that it should only take one application, but if you still have a bit of glue, do it lightly again.
8. Last, heat up the visor once more, and take your brush and brush the whole visor up and down, back and forth and in circular motions. This should raise all the fibers such that the indentation disappears.
9. You should be done. Leave the windows open so the Goo Gone smell will get ventilated out.

This took about 10 minutes per label, it wasn't messy, difficult or dangerous to the visor or car interior. It looks so much better, and the visor looks completely consistent, the area where the labels were are completely invisible. Do it!

Good luck--
Ed
Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 PM
MALB75
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this yesterday on '07. I used a heat gun and goo gone. Peeled off easily and after scrubbing with goo gone, no glue ghost. Really can't tell they where there. Just take your time.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default I finally got up the nerve

to do this on my '09 and couldn't be happier with the results. Thanks, Ed for developing and posting the process.

The end result is a VERY subtle shadow where the sticker was. You have to know to look. Otherwise, you would never suspect there was a sticker on the visor.

I did depart from Ed's methods slightly, as follows:

1. I did not need a sharp knife to lift the edge of the sticker after heating it -- a finger nail will do, and with less risk of inadvertently cutting the visor.

2. I started with Goo Gone, but it did not remove as much adhesive as I would have liked. Based on another post, I switched to paint thinner (mineral spirits).

3. I applied both the Goo Gone and paint thinner with a chip brush, holding the solvents in a plastic cottage cheese container directly below the visors, which I opted not to remove. I saturated the fabric with no negative effects.

4. I also added solvent for the final step -- brushing the fabric. (Apply solvent, heat, brush.)

My only regret is that I did not do this sooner. It is a huge improvement to the interior.

Andy
Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I want to give this a shot but I have horrible luck.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:52 PM
NVaughn
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How To Tuesday

Good stuff. Here's another good resource...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...g-label-368471
Old 11-03-2015, 06:59 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

They never gave me any angst. But thanks for the info

Clif
Old 11-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I just put carbon vinyl over mine. Easier & looks good.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Definitive Visor Warning Label Removal