Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Entered my Zr1 in a local car show

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 PM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DT
It has nothing to do with your car being faster, more expensive, etc., etc., but a huge amount to do with the final detailing. My *incredible* Z06 got beat by stock cars as well, because there is zero factor for the aftermarket (regardless of how well it's executee), but everything about how long you clean the AC vents with Q-Tips.

Though to a degree I understand that - why shouldn't everyone be given a fair shake, just because they didn't spend as much money? I still think they should have modified categories, but that's something common in the import scene that has not caught on in the domestic shows yet.

I also firmly believe there are perks for being a club member, especially if that club is hosting/coordinating the show. Obviously that won't ever be owned up to, but I've seen it happen.
Exactly. Car's are rated on how much personalization is done to a car, and how clean it is. Just because someone spent over $100,000 for a car does not mean it should win a show.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I wouldn't let it bother you. I used to show a beautiful numbers matching '70 Chevelle SS396 all over the northwest. There were many times I took home trophys when I knew damn well there were nicer cars than mine. There were also times when I won nothing and I knew my car was the nicest one at the show. I don't show my C6 because I got burned out on the whole car show thing. I now wake up later and let other people get up at the break of dawn and detail their cars with q-tips.

I think you drove home in the best trophy.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:48 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

I was there. That ZR1 was awesome!

I think everybody OD'd on the cyber grey before production got going, but once you see it in person, especially in the sunlight with the cool blue flakes lighting up, you know it's a winner!

Don't sweat what the judges say. And as far as the poster who said something to the effect of "how much effort did that take" - this guy made quite an effort at detailing the car and creating a professional display. He also showed with a bunch of friends who entered their vettes - so his efforts made it a better show.

Hope to see you again, Terell.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui

I think you drove home in the best trophy.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by BAD_TCR
I was there. That particular car show is a joke. If you dont have the bling, bling aftermarket stuff, there is no hope. There is no appreciation for OEM and keeping things stock. From now on, I'll just go to look, but no point in wasting $ to enter.

BTw... your car is very nice. got me thinking I should upgrade at some point..
Really? No hope for a bone stock car that is probably two weeks old that has had no modifications, no personalization or anything.Straight off the show room floor. What is this world coming to.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:13 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Scream And Fly
Boohoo, your ZR-1 ego was squashed. Oh no, God forbid a lowly C6 beat you. It's a conspiracy!
...so because you spent a lot of money you automatically win....his car was probably cleaner than yours....regardless, why would you let the results of a local car show bother you that much...
Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I have several late model cars and take them to cruises and so on, but do not enter them to be judged, largely because I am totally unimpressed by any late model stock car as far as shows go.

So you bought it and cleaned it up, so what?

I am far more impressed with the restored or modified cars, vehicles where there is something special or unique that shows a real individual effort to make them special, or perhaps a survivor that is a bit of a time capsule of what cars were like 25+ years ago.

Bring back the ZR1 looking good in 2034 and then I wll be impressed.

If you get an award, do remember to send it to GM.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by Nite Riderrr
For all you guys that live near plano texas with nice car watch out. There's a local car show called Monthly Musclecar that have the weirds judges. Tell me if I am over reacting or was their decision correct1! My car finished 2nd in it"s class getting beat out by a normal C6 corvette. What the **** is going on at Monthly Musclecar shows. Is it the 2 judges that go around or does a normal C6 look better? Everyone has their own option but .............! After the awards were given out several people told me I got screwed by the people hosting the SHOW!!!! I would like to know what ya"ll think about this lil matter. Hey, i could just be over reacting but i don't think so.
I was told that sometime that particular car show give 1st place to new comers. Hoping that will encourage them to run to get SCREWED like Me.
If you really do have a ZR1 Cant understand some of your grammer
Maybe the photo's in your gallery tell the story..You have abused the hell out of your tires..This will detract from the point scale at a car show
Old 11-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Xwet
Racer

Welcome to the world of auto shows. If you can not take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

For all you guys that live near plano texas with nice car watch out. There's a local car show called Monthly Musclecar that have the weirds judges. Tell me if I am over reacting or was their decision correct1! My car finished 2nd in it"s class getting beat out by a normal C6 corvette. What the **** is going on at Monthly Musclecar shows. Is it the 2 judges that go around or does a normal C6 look better? Everyone has their own option but .............! After the awards were given out several people told me I got screwed by the people hosting the SHOW!!!! I would like to know what ya"ll think about this lil matter. Hey, i could just be over reacting but i don't think so.
I was told that sometime that particular car show give 1st place to new comers. Hoping that will encourage them to run to get SCREWED like Me.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
JD C6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

At least you lost to the brother hood of another Vette C6. It could have been worse you could have lost to a Ford.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:36 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

No car totally stock with nothing done (as mentioned above) should even be given any awards EVER. Your car is special. your car is also stock. Its a modded vette from the factory. Just because you spent half a mortgage on a car and did nothing to it doesn't mean you will get trophies everywhere you go. I can bet that c6 was clean, had maybe 20 coats of zaino and possibly had some detail work or maybe a nice display if it was stock too.

Don't get me wrong I think your car is badazz. Personally I would give the award to something personalized. Your car is available for whoever can afford it.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by odbbend21
Just go to a show and have fun and if you win great.
Best post of the thread (and some of the replies are a little harsh!)

I have 20+ trophies (including BOS's) from when I owned my Supra. They're in the attic I enjoy showing my current (er, actually just sold the Z06, so previous I guess) because people enjoy seeing it! I had a group around my car at the last big show I attended the whole day - *that* was worth participating.

So show it! Enjoy the folks who get to see it, take pics, etc., and don't sweat the cheap $15 trophies that will wind up in storage
Old 11-03-2008, 04:55 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 09C6ZR1
hey rider..............how many heads does it turn when you're on the road?......nuff said

You'll turn heads of most fellow Vette drivers and hardcore car enthusiasts. 99% of the public, however, sees another C6
Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You should have saved $100k and bought a C3 if you wanted to sit around car shows all day. That ZR1 is meant to be driven and if you are gonna sit around a car show with it all day, then you should just hand over your man card NOW!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:09 PM
edbrick
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
can't tell from your pic , but it looks to me like you have cyber gray car...personally i dont think that color does a vette justice...just looked at a cg zr1 my dealer got in...spent some time checking it out in the pdi department...i left unimpressed...i am sure i am not the only one who thinks this....other colors look much better imo...

that ride you have should be at track or auto-x or running down the highway or anything but car show...all that performance and its sitting still....waste of car...
Its a matter of taste I love cyber grey. Especially on the ZR 1.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 PM
SpeedshifterZ06
Instructor

My Z06 and several other solid cars were overlooked in a show last summer. When I went a looked at the winners, it was the people who had emptied the accessory catalogs that had won. Cheap chrome covers, crap painted all over the cars. Chrome where chrome don't belong stuff all over the cars , etc. Seat belt covers that said stuff like "hold on" and basic crap like that. I have never been a car show person, I entered for the charitable donation. I was a club outsider, the people that their members had invited took the prizes.

Get notified of new replies

To Entered my Zr1 in a local car show

Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

it wasnt a C6 that took first it was my custom C5 Z06 Convertible, myself (guy with his 1 year old son) and GBvette and a few other buddies put alot of sweat and tears into it... it is no where stock, just to name a few mods heres the display i use to fend off the "its just a vert with badges" crowd, BTW your ZR1 is beautiful and if i had that cash i would buy the exact car...

Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rhipsher
I'll never understand why people go out and buy a brand new car and then enter it in a car show. What kind of effort does that take. I can see if you take a car they no longer make and keep it very clean or do a frame off restoration then that to me is car show worthy. I have a #s matching 1968 mustang and a 1990 ZR-1. I've shed blood sweat and tears restoring the stang to original for the last 12 years. And I will expect to win first place with it. The ZR-1 likes it best on the race track. And when I do show the ZR-1 its for the benefit of people who havn't seen one in a long time. Just my two cents.
I agree. I attend a lot of shows and I can't understand the thinking of entering a new car. I like to see the new cars, but I think they should just be there to look at and not entered into competition. I can't even bring myself to enter my 2002 C5Z because I think it is too new, although I have displayed it as un-entered.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:32 AM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by illmac77
it wasnt a C6 that took first it was my custom C5 Z06 Convertible, myself (guy with his 1 year old son) and GBvette and a few other buddies put alot of sweat and tears into it... it is no where stock, just to name a few mods heres the display i use to fend off the "its just a vert with badges" crowd, BTW your ZR1 is beautiful and if i had that cash i would buy the exact car...

finally, the other side. nice ride. He should know the difference between a C5 and a C6 at least.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Entered my Zr1 in a local car show