Z06 [PICS] ZR1 Splitter Install How-To - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-19-2015, 06:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

[Z06] [PICS] ZR1 Splitter Install How-To

Old 02-18-2009, 06:18 AM
  #21  
C5 Frank
CF Senior Member
 
C5 Frank's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Posts: 5,283
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Awesome how-to write up!!! Thanks for sharing! Looks great!!!!
C5 Frank is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 08:53 AM
  #22  
RED2008Z06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
RED2008Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: St. Charles Il
Posts: 1,798
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Outstanding write up, very nice garage.....
RED2008Z06 is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
  #23  
Z06Norway
CF Senior Member
 
Z06Norway's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2000
Location: Merritt Island Florida
Posts: 1,894
Thanked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Awsome, and you know you have a balanced car, its identical to the ZR1 :-)
Increased grip in high speed corners, But you propably lost 10 mph top speed if not more
most people never see north of 180 anyway

great write up and good pictures


Rune
Z06Norway is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 PM
  #24  
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Gene Culley's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Reading PA
Posts: 29,957
Thanked 112 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Thank you very much for your business and the fantastic and outstanding post. This should be a sticky. It looks awesome on the vehicle!
__________________
Phone: 484-334-8833
Owner of CULTRAG Performance

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Gene Culley is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM
  #25  
Buffy's Z
Junior Member
 
Buffy's Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Burlington NC
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I second the vote on making this a sticky!

How long does it take from raising the hood to stepping back and snapping after pictures??

Inquiring minds want to know!
Buffy's Z is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 03:27 PM
  #26  
RoHo
CF Senior Member
 
RoHo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Sandy Ego CA
Posts: 2,846
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

with eveything that been said regarding this write up and pic's.

The C6Z site needs to start a DIY section, showing some of these great articles and pic's you guy's have been showing the rest of us.

Hey Davenport, if you really feel that way, why have we seen anything from you, showing how you opened up your headlights so you could paint the inter section black?
RoHo is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM
  #27  
RoHo
CF Senior Member
 
RoHo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Sandy Ego CA
Posts: 2,846
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

with eveything that been said regarding this write up and pic's.

The C6Z site needs to start a DIY section, showing some of these great articles and pic's you guy's have been showing the rest of us.

Hey Dvandentop, if you really feel that way, why have we seen anything from you, showing how you opened up your headlights so you could paint the inter section black?
RoHo is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 03:34 PM
  #28  
RoHo
CF Senior Member
 
RoHo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Sandy Ego CA
Posts: 2,846
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Sorry about the double post, I had Dvandentop's name spelled wrong
but I bet he knew who I was talking about
RoHo is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 03:54 PM
  #29  
Cobra4B
CF Senior Member
 
Cobra4B's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 25,890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Default

Nice detailed writeup... beautiful car
Cobra4B is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
  #30  
andy82
CF Senior Member
 
andy82's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: Sunnyvale California
Posts: 4,679
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason View Post
This forum needs more posts like this.

Well done.
Someone should put this into a TechTip
andy82 is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 04:29 PM
  #31  
0D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Vendor
 
D2-AUTOSPORT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: CT, NY, NJ North East
Posts: 2,015
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Wow this post is what forums is about, thanks for a great one.
D2-AUTOSPORT is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 04:46 PM
  #32  
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Poor-sha's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,986
Thanked 1,830 Times in 754 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Buffy's Z View Post
I second the vote on making this a sticky!

How long does it take from raising the hood to stepping back and snapping after pictures??

Inquiring minds want to know!
Thanks again everyone - all the kind words really make it worth the effort.

As far as how long it took - I work kind of slow and actually did it over 3 days. I am loosely guessing I spent a couple hours removing the fascia in anticipation of the splitter showing up. Then a couple days later I installed the support and mounted the splitter to the fascia as well as hung the fascia back on the car but didn't button everything up - probably another 2-3 hours. Then about another hour buttoning everything up and snapping the last of the pics.

So this is the long way of saying I bet I spent 6-8 hours on it but I'm sure you could do it in much less time. I did have the advantage of having removed the fascia once before for the front tow hook so I knew that I didn't need to remove quite so many fasteners this time.

Oh, I also smoked a couple cigars and drank a couple beers along the way too
Poor-sha is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 PM
  #33  
Cobra4B
CF Senior Member
 
Cobra4B's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 25,890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Default

Where's the front tow hook?
Cobra4B is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 PM
  #34  
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Poor-sha's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,986
Thanked 1,830 Times in 754 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cobra4B View Post
Where's the front tow hook?
I have the Phoenix Performance removable front tow hook. I didn't take any pics of the bumper support with the fascia off but there is a piece bolted to the bumper support. When I need the tow hook it just screws in to this piece through the grill.
Poor-sha is offline  
Old 02-19-2009, 08:57 PM
  #35  
Cobra4B
CF Senior Member
 
Cobra4B's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 25,890
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Default

10-4... didn't realize they were making a removable one now.
Cobra4B is offline  
Old 02-27-2009, 05:38 PM
  #36  
davidfarmer
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
davidfarmer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: CONCORD NC
Posts: 10,502
Thanked 73 Times in 61 Posts
Default

splitters add next to ZERO drag, although I agree the rear spoil could hurt top end. However, top speed at most any road course is in the 170mph range (which causes my Z06 splitter to scrape the ground at VIR), I'd rather have the cornering grip than the top end.

Anybody know what the reinforcement/splitter costs??


Originally Posted by Z06Norway View Post
Awsome, and you know you have a balanced car, its identical to the ZR1 :-)
Increased grip in high speed corners, But you propably lost 10 mph top speed if not more
most people never see north of 180 anyway

great write up and good pictures


Rune
davidfarmer is offline  
Old 02-27-2009, 06:25 PM
  #37  
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
 
RichieRichZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Posts: 13,688
Thanked 362 Times in 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default

Originally Posted by davidfarmer View Post
splitters add next to ZERO drag, although I agree the rear spoil could hurt top end. However, top speed at most any road course is in the 170mph range (which causes my Z06 splitter to scrape the ground at VIR), I'd rather have the cornering grip than the top end.

Anybody know what the reinforcement/splitter costs??
List is $221, but I sell them for about $156
RichieRichZ06 is offline  
Old 02-27-2009, 06:28 PM
  #38  
Katech_Jason
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Katech_Jason's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Clinton Township MI
Posts: 13,369
Thanked 476 Times in 275 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
Thanks again everyone - all the kind words really make it worth the effort.

As far as how long it took - I work kind of slow and actually did it over 3 days. I am loosely guessing I spent a couple hours removing the fascia in anticipation of the splitter showing up. Then a couple days later I installed the support and mounted the splitter to the fascia as well as hung the fascia back on the car but didn't button everything up - probably another 2-3 hours. Then about another hour buttoning everything up and snapping the last of the pics.

So this is the long way of saying I bet I spent 6-8 hours on it but I'm sure you could do it in much less time. I did have the advantage of having removed the fascia once before for the front tow hook so I knew that I didn't need to remove quite so many fasteners this time.

Oh, I also smoked a couple cigars and drank a couple beers along the way too

You probably spent the same amount of time writing, taking pictures and editing pictures as you did working on the car.
__________________
_Jason Harding
Director of Aftermarket Operations, Katech Inc.



http://www.youtube.com/katechperformance

http://www.facebook.com/KatechPerformance
http://www.facebook.com/KatechJason

Instagram @Katech_Inc
Katech_Jason is offline  
Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 AM
  #39  
Z-Rated
CF Senior Member
 
Z-Rated's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: East MI
Posts: 1,447
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the write up !!
Z-Rated is offline  
Old 03-01-2009, 02:43 AM
  #40  
RossN
CF Senior Member
 
RossN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Camp Casey Korea/Austin Tx
Posts: 964
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Great Job!

RossN is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] [PICS] ZR1 Splitter Install How-To


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: