Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] An envious college student

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 PM
VetteFish
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 BAD ZR1
Pirates are making pretty good money right now. But it just became a dangerous job.

bottom line, follow something you love. and if your smart and successful at what you love, you will find a way for the money to follow it.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Blow N By
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine that was an original member of the Flying Tigers in Burma China, drove off-shore race boats and owned "Donzi" at one time said....pick a job you love and you will never go to work a day in your life.

Last edited by Blow N By; 07-25-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 PM
mikebaab
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blow N By
A friend of mine that was an original member of the Flying Tigers in Burma China, drove off-shore race boats and owned "Donzi" at one time said....pick a job you love and you will never go to work a day in your life.

Many look for the get rich quick scheme. I don't know the statistic, but an extremely large percent of lotto winners are usually in worse condition after they've blown thru their winnings than before. They loose there job skills, motivation and succumb to depression.

The real answer is slow wealth accumulation through hard work, sound investments (like buying instead of renting at an early age) and I can't leave out - trust in God who rewards us in many ways. And remember, to whom much is given, much is expected......

Hang in there young man. If you want it bad enough, you will have it. One word of caution, be careful what you give up in exchange.
Wise advice!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
DocHorton
Racer

Your best bet is to go to professional school...become a dentist, physician, or pharmacist. This will guarantee you will have a six-figure paying job the day you graduate and you will never have to worry about finding work.

Starting your own business is no guarantee to becoming wealthy, in fact, only 40% of small businesses are profitable.

Unless you are extremely lucky or unbelievably talented, education is the key to consistent, well-paying careers. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Perdition
Intermediate

This thread is inspiring. I'm a Sophomore at Virginia Tech.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:57 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a rich woman and marry her.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by simplyphp
Find a rich woman and marry her.
A friend of mine's brother did that. He was a truly industrious young guy in college, and ran his own retaurant on the college campus where he was also a student. He had two restaurants by the time he graduated, and then married his girlfriend whose parents had really big money. They donated most of the money to build a large hospital complex for a major university. The hospital bears their family name.

Anyway, after getting married, his wife wanted to move to Florida, and that was the last time he really worked for a living. I saw him a few years ago (about 30 years since he graduated from college), and he couldn't even look me in the eyes. The fire had just completely gone out of him.

Better to marry for love, and build your fortunes together. It worked for my wife and I, and we've been married for 32 years. She sold her company 3 years ago, and I sold mine 5 years ago.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:02 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,155 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 BAD ZR1
Pirates are making pretty good money right now. But it just became a dangerous job.
Choosing badly can get you a hole in the head.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:13 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bring your degree to Iraq. Or Afghanistan if you're gonna be another year. The 24 year old sitting next to me got out of the military after 4 years, and silly me, I reenlisted. Now, we're side by side doing the same job - him in civilian clothes on gov't contract (no degree), and me in camo on military contract. I will barely clear 62k this year. He will clear 192k. He's been here two years straight now.

Food for thought.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:20 AM
FactHP
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09

Find an industry you are interested in (have passion for). Get a job, working for someone else in that industry and make your mistakes on their dime. Start your own business, and don't make any mistakes. Also, read E Myth Revisited.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 AM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cam355aro
Coming from a 20yr old college student...

What kind of jobs do you have to afford a brand new ZR1. I want one!
A quote from my father:

"It's now how much you make. It's how much you save. INVEST. Patience is key."
Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Sammgb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Short of finding a rich spouse, you're boned!

Seriously, my advice is to either start and own your own business or go to graduate/professional school. Assuming that at 20 you're either a junior or a senior, if you go the school route, you'll spend the next 4-7 years getting a degree and then you WILL have to start paying back the loans that got you there (assuming that you need loans and don't do it with scholarships - I was too dumb to get any). BUT, with such degrees, you typically can get starting salaries that allow you to buy things like ZR-1s if you're young, single and otherwise live frugally.

Realistically, all of the people that I know that have that kind of scratch without having to go to school are business owners. It's easier said than done to start/grow/buy a successful business, but if you've got a niche figured out, you're half the way there.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,155 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2kev
A quote from my father:

"It's now how much you make. It's how much you save. INVEST. Patience is key."
No matter what your income level, saving for the future is a key element for future success.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Lucifer13
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides starting your own business or going through years and years of school, my only other suggestion is becoming a professional athlete I feel extremely blessed to be in the situation I am currently in but it's still tough. I dreamed of the day I would own a corvette and at 27 I just bought a new Z06. But, I did this after getting out of renting and buying a house, paying off my wifes school debt, paying off our other vehicle, paying off all credit cards, and maxing out IRA's among other long-term investments.

If I didn't work my *** off, be very fortunate and a little lucky it would have been many years until I could afford a toy like this. I am currently working on an online MBA because basketball won't last forever. To all those who have started their own business and are successful I salute you. In college we learned approx. 70% of new businesses fail within the first couple years. You really have to have something unique, an unbelievable work ethic, and committed to be in it for the long haul to succeed.

If you want something bad enough there is always a way to reach it. Best of luck
Old 04-23-2009, 04:40 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexdunn13
Besides starting your own business or going through years and years of school, my only other suggestion is becoming a professional athlete I feel extremely blessed to be in the situation I am currently in but it's still tough. I dreamed of the day I would own a corvette and at 27 I just bought a new Z06. But, I did this after getting out of renting and buying a house, paying off my wifes school debt, paying off our other vehicle, paying off all credit cards, and maxing out IRA's among other long-term investments.

If I didn't work my *** off, be very fortunate and a little lucky it would have been many years until I could afford a toy like this. I am currently working on an online MBA because basketball won't last forever. To all those who have started their own business and are successful I salute you. In college we learned approx. 70% of new businesses fail within the first couple years. You really have to have something unique, an unbelievable work ethic, and committed to be in it for the long haul to succeed.

If you want something bad enough there is always a way to reach it. Best of luck

*sigh* I can't wait til the day I have to help pay for my girlfriend's education. I know her dad is going to try and shove her sh** on me.
NO way in hell I'll let my vette go to pay off a debt he promised her he'd pay
Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*sigh* I can't wait til the day I have to help pay for my girlfriend's education. I know her dad is going to try and shove her sh** on me.
Make sure he pays off her debts before you get married, or get an iron clad written agreement backed by collateral.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Lucifer13
Burning Brakes

At least you have your vette already, that's the most important thing. If it comes to selling it to pay off her debt then tell her she's got another thing coming. My wife's parents paid for her college, then we got married and she went back to grad school so we're stuck with that one.

Get notified of new replies

To An envious college student

Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 396 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
It's sad for me to read what you just wrote, as I know it's tough out there. But, there are always opportunties for those who desire to get ahead in life, regardless of the economy.

It takes keeping your eyes open for opportunities; jumping on those opportunities when they present themselves; working as hard and long as it takes to learn quickly and become proficient; having the drive to become the very best in your profession above everyone else; maintaining a lifestyle below your earning capacilty so you can save money (money in the bank is financial freedom); trying to keep your personal responsibilities at a minimum so you can do whatever it takes to get ahead in your work (meaning, wait to have kids, and don't weigh yourself down with a lot of loans, etc. until you start to have some financial breathing room); and luck!

Once you have established your own business (preferably one that does not need money tied up in inventories, and is not dependent on a large number of manpower), and it has become very successful...Then sell it to a NY investment banking firm, negotiate for as much money up front as you can, and work the remaining three year contract as hard as if you still own the business. You keep actively building the business during the length of your employment contract, so you'll be able to collect the remainder of the buy-out money that was held in arrears. Then, stay on as a part-time paid advisor for a number of years.

I'll also say that in the beginning, and once you find a profession that you feel has good earning potential, it's always best to learn how to become great in that profession while working for someone else and on their dime sort of speak. Then, you jump off and start your own business, knowing when the timing is right.

I don't own a ZR1, but do currently have a new '09 ZO6. I could drive anything I would want, but I'm still of the mind of spending only what I could possibly need (best bang for the buck expenditures)
Again, I wasn't trying to be a total downer, just offer a sobering opinion. Things change as you get older and look beyond college. Some things take a back burner. Who knows, he might end up getting married in 5 years. Priorities change but you know this, beden. I hope he does prove me wrong. I've seen a few 21 year old guys on this site that state they finance their own C6 Z06.

And while a lot of guys crack on them asking them if daddy bought it, there are some credible guys on here that work hard and use their head and swing a new Z06. Hats off to them for maximizing their tools and educations to get what they want.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blow N By

Many look for the get rich quick scheme. I don't know the statistic, but an extremely large percent of lotto winners are usually in worse condition after they've blown thru their winnings than before. They loose there job skills, motivation and succumb to depression.

The real answer is slow wealth accumulation through hard work, sound investments (like buying instead of renting at an early age) and I can't leave out - trust in God who rewards us in many ways. And remember, to whom much is given, much is expected......

Hang in there young man. If you want it bad enough, you will have it. One word of caution, be careful what you give up in exchange.
Very good advice and excellent way of looking at things.

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Choosing badly can get you a hole in the head.

My contract ended, so it wont be me stopping anyone from being a pirate.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:58 PM
nc1205
Instructor

Originally Posted by cam355aro
Coming from a 20yr old college student...

What kind of jobs do you have to afford a brand new ZR1. I want one!
Just do like me rob a bank.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] An envious college student