Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] An envious college student

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
427silverhotrod
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blow N By
A friend of mine that was an original member of the Flying Tigers in Burma China, drove off-shore race boats and owned "Donzi" at one time said....pick a job you love and you will never go to work a day in your life.

Many look for the get rich quick scheme. I don't know the statistic, but an extremely large percent of lotto winners are usually in worse condition after they've blown thru their winnings than before. They loose there job skills, motivation and succumb to depression.

The real answer is slow wealth accumulation through hard work, sound investments (like buying instead of renting at an early age) and I can't leave out - trust in God who rewards us in many ways. And remember, to whom much is given, much is expected......

Hang in there young man. If you want it bad enough, you will have it. One word of caution, be careful what you give up in exchange.
Just read this one and forget the rest!!!! THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU WILL EVER GET!

GREAT JOB-TRUST IN GOD
Then when you get it, and you will, God will let you enjoy it.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Pruettfan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A buddy of mine went from being broke to very rich by marrying a rich girl. He has great cars but a crappy life. Best advice is become a professional, Dr, attorney, MBA and then don't waste your money on crap. Wait till your 30 before you get married and have kids and you'll be way ahead in life. Get married at 18 and have kids and you'll be screwed.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 PM
FAST ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
A buddy of mine went from being broke to very rich by marrying a rich girl. He has great cars but a crappy life. Best advice is become a professional, Dr, attorney, MBA and then don't waste your money on crap. Wait till your 30 before you get married and have kids and you'll be way ahead in life. Get married at 18 and have kids and you'll be screwed.
LOL Now that was good.
Blow N By: Said it best..

For me I feel like I'm talking to my self 20 years ago. cam355aro, I had an 86 olds cutlass and always wanted a Corvette. Every job I have I love and I came from nothing. Everyone here is pointing you in the right direction (Except, I had a chance to married money but, let me tell you it feels much better when you do it yourself not to mention your happier) Marry a women that make you happy for longer than 20 years. My golden ticket was taking 80% of each paycheck and investing it in CD's or Stocks and not touching it for 5-10 years (in the current economic environment is a good time to do such a thing IMHO). After several years you have a nice pile of cash now you should have a good head on your shoulders: First, you were able to save for that long of time. Second, you will be able to know how to invest it with the Biggest ROI. Example pay down your new home with 20-40% you will save yourself Thousands a year.

Every Day is a good day no matter what.

To everyone else why didn't we have this kind of help when we were young?
Married, Happy, 2 year old girl (BD Sunday) & drove my Zr1 today with her in it .
Thank God,
Jim
Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 PM
cbidwell
Intermediate

Perhaps you could meet & marry one of the Kardashian girls. I hear some of them drive Bentleys!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:57 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cbidwell
Perhaps you could meet & marry one of the Kardashian girls. I hear some of them drive Bentleys!
There are lots of **** stars (H@@kers) that drive Bentleys.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Tzzird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FAST ZR1
My golden ticket was taking 80% of each paycheck and investing it in CD's or Stocks and not touching it for 5-10 years (in the current economic environment is a good time to do such a thing IMHO). After several years you have a nice pile of cash now you should have a good head on your shoulders: First, you were able to save for that long of time. Second, you will be able to know how to invest it with the Biggest ROI. Example pay down your new home with 20-40% you will save yourself Thousands a year.
I think you're leaving something out. The fact that you were in a position to take out 80% of your paycheck and investing it is not a position that 99% of people are in.

Oh, and to add to the list earlier of ways to get rich enough to afford a zr1:

4) an inheritance
Old 04-24-2009, 12:42 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Again, I wasn't trying to be a total downer, just offer a sobering opinion. Things change as you get older and look beyond college. Some things take a back burner. Who knows, he might end up getting married in 5 years. Priorities change but you know this, beden. I hope he does prove me wrong. I've seen a few 21 year old guys on this site that state they finance their own C6 Z06.

And while a lot of guys crack on them asking them if daddy bought it, there are some credible guys on here that work hard and use their head and swing a new Z06. Hats off to them for maximizing their tools and educations to get what they want.
My wife and I got married at 24. The smartest thing we did was to wait 10 years before having children, and lucky for us we had twins - boy and girl when we were 34.

By waiting during that time, we were able to fully concentrate on our careers including me establishing my own business; bought our first home (a reasonably priced townhouse that cost the same per month as renting); purchased quality furniture to last us for many years; and we also saved quite a bit of money during this period. When the kids came, we had savings to fall back on, and were able to afford a great day nanny while the both of us worked (we were extremely fortunate to find her). Then my wife started her company when our kids were 3, and my company was able to support hers while she got it established. (Our nanny now works for my wife's company and is like family.)

Was it tough building for our our futures during this time...absolutely, we worked our asses off and sacrificed including never taking vacations or spending much money going out for dinners, etc. But, those sacrifices of time and energy paid off big time during the subsequent years and today. They were also extremely exciting times for us.

As has been mentioned in this thread...save as much money as you can each week. Money in the bank provides you with options to take advantage of opportunities that become available to you along the way.

Be frugal with your money, until you have saved enough where a cash purchase of something like a ZO6, becomes just a minor expenditure relative to your overall nest egg.

Sorry in advance if I'm coming off like some preacher man!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:02 AM
larrysb
Race Director

Find something you love to do and become the best there is at doing it.

Live within your means.

Don't pay interest on anything.

Save.

Invest wisely.

Be patient.

That live within your means and thing about not paying interest are very important.

Most people with OK jobs pay huge sums of what they earn in interest over their careers. Many of them could buy a ZR-1, in cash, for just a portion of what they pay in interest on stupid stuff.

Debt is bad.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:39 AM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb

Live within your means.

Save.

Invest wisely.

Be patient.

That live within your means and thing about not paying interest are very important.

Most people with OK jobs pay huge sums of what they earn in interest over their careers. Many of them could buy a ZR-1, in cash, for just a portion of what they pay in interest on stupid stuff.

Debt is bad.

Damn near what my dad said.

Just ask yourself... Do I really need that 50 inch plasma screen TV? Save, save, save.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Tzzird
Burning Brakes

What do you think the percentage is of zr1 owners that purchased their vette outright versus an equity loan versus a regular car loan?

From an acquaintence that owns a Ferrari, I've heard that most people that buy cars $150k+ just write a check and are done with it.

I would imagine that there is a smaller percentage of people that write the check for the zr1 off an equity line of credit. Interest only payments will be relatively cheap and tax deductible. Seems like the second best choice to buying it outright.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Tzzird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ls2kev

Just ask yourself... Do I really need that 50 inch plasma screen TV? Save, save, save.
Hell, you can ask the same thing of the ZR1.

Many of us we *can* afford a ZR1 don't buy it because we've convinced ourselves that the ZR1 isn't worth the nearly $100k market premium over the base model corvette.

Then again, maybe we can't *really* afford it if we have to compare the value of a ZR1 versus the base C6.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Beechdoctor
Racer

Originally Posted by larrysb

Live within your means.

Save.

Invest wisely.

Be patient.

Debt is bad.
Well stated...ZR-1's are just toys to be bought with excess expendable cash. If you can't make one easy payment...then generally speaking the car is not justifiable. There are more important concerns in life to be considered first.

But if you have the means, even at a $125K these are a performance bargain. Even better bang for the buck....new '08 Z06's are 1/2 the money in the lower 60K's and in some cases upper 50's currently...great time to buy!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:41 PM
thanxa
Instructor

Default Become a landscaper !

They seem to be the ones with all the money these days . Definitely a recession proof business. You really should look into this . I'm talking about cutting about 100 accounts twice a month x $ 80 ( both ) = $ 96000 . Use that as a base . Then sell 1000s of pieces of Sod x .80 each weekend that you buy from wholesalers for .25 each . Do about 5-8 landscape jobs per month where the materials cost you 1/10 of what you do the job for . Its an all CASH business and we all know what that means. These guys buy the nicest trucks , the best Harleys, the coolest boats , and the fastest Corvettes . They all live in the biggest homes in pretty nice neighborhoods . All the ones I dealt with were former Doctors who cannot afford malpractice insurance -Investment advisors who were run out of town thru fears of another Bernie Madoff - and out of work Realtors who cannot secure financing for buyers with 400 beacon scores.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:46 AM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tzzird
Hell, you can ask the same thing of the ZR1.
Many of us we *can* afford a ZR1 don't buy it because we've convinced ourselves that the ZR1 isn't worth the nearly $100k market premium over the base model corvette.

Then again, maybe we can't *really* afford it if we have to compare the value of a ZR1 versus the base C6.
True, true
Old 04-25-2009, 10:55 AM
The_Hulk
Advanced

This time last year I may have considered a regular base corvette a "dream car" to me. I had a '06 350Z but I was broke as a joke. I had a decent job but I was also going to school full time and really struggling to make ends meet. I'm prior military and I was working as a contractor on an Army base. I applied for a IT contracting position in Iraq and got the job. I now make $250K (and 87K of that is tax free) a year and I'm now starting my 2nd year over here. I have great job security because even with a large troop withdrawl there will always be a small contingency force here and as long as there are U.S. troops my job will be needed. I also have Afghanistan as an option because my company has a lot of positions there as well.

29 years old, single & no kids, debt free, didn't finish college, and I'm confident I can continue to make 200K+ a year until I'm sick and tired of the Middle East. I'm considering purchasing a 2010 ZR1, but I don't think it makes much sense because I don't plan on returning to the States for good until I have at least a million in the bank. I do plan on taking classes online while I'm over here so hopefully I can finish a degree while I'm here.

Last edited by The_Hulk; 04-25-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:26 AM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

i would disagree with hardware engineer.

they generally top out around 150k per year, which unless u have some serious downpayment from somewhere or other income - is not really enough salary to be buying a $100k+ car...

Originally Posted by impactblue
senior network administrator
hardware engineer
own your own company
drug dealer
actor in a hollywood block buster

few things that come to mind
Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 AM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

nope - need 60"

Originally Posted by ls2kev

Get notified of new replies

To An envious college student

Old 04-25-2009, 02:28 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

This could work out well, if you live though the experience. Earning big money takes time, hard work and assumption of risk. You shortened the time requirement markedly by increasing the risk requirement markedly. Good luck and I'll look for you in that car in a few years.
Originally Posted by The_Hulk
This time last year I may have considered a regular base corvette a "dream car" to me. I had a '06 350Z but I was broke as a joke. I had a decent job but I was also going to school full time and really struggling to make ends meet. I'm prior military and I was working as a contractor on an Army base. I applied for a IT contracting position in Iraq and got the job. I now make $250K (and 87K of that is tax free) a year and I'm now starting my 2nd year over here. I have great job security because even with a large troop withdrawl there will always be a small contingency force here and as long as there are U.S. troops my job will be needed. I also have Afghanistan as an option because my company has a lot of positions there as well.

29 years old, single & no kids, debt free, didn't finish college, and I'm confident I can continue to make 200K+ a year until I'm sick and tired of the Middle East. I'm considering purchasing a 2010 ZR1, but I don't think it makes much sense because I don't plan on returning to the States for good until I have at least a million in the bank. I do plan on taking classes online while I'm over here so hopefully I can finish a degree while I'm here.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:15 AM
Supratt6s
Pro

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Again, I wasn't trying to be a total downer, just offer a sobering opinion. Things change as you get older and look beyond college. Some things take a back burner. Who knows, he might end up getting married in 5 years. Priorities change but you know this, beden. I hope he does prove me wrong. I've seen a few 21 year old guys on this site that state they finance their own C6 Z06.

And while a lot of guys crack on them asking them if daddy bought it, there are some credible guys on here that work hard and use their head and swing a new Z06. Hats off to them for maximizing their tools and educations to get what they want.
Right here sir! Got my C6 Z06 at the age of 21... 22 now. I have been buying and selling car since my first hand me down 1996 Dodge Neon. You can tell from my grocery list below that I have been around lol. Where to go from here... who knows
Old 04-26-2009, 07:24 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm a small business owner, I work at home, and I work all the time, 7 days a week, every week, for 11 years now.

I think you should quit college and become a UAW employee at a car factory. You will have medical benefits for life, get awesome unemployment when the factory closes, and will never have to work 7 days a week.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] An envious college student