Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] An envious college student

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 PM
cam355aro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An envious college student

Coming from a 20yr old college student...

What kind of jobs do you have to afford a brand new ZR1. I want one!
Old 04-22-2009, 02:15 PM
HARVEY T.GLUCK
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 151 Posts

Default what job for 20 Year Old College student

You don't need a job-----Just a Rich Father Hopefully....Harvey
Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
impactblue
Instructor

senior network administrator
hardware engineer
own your own company
drug dealer
actor in a hollywood block buster

few things that come to mind
Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 PM
JadeRaven
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 130 Posts

Owners I know are small business owners and doctors.

One of those requires no college and the other requires 8 years plus 2-6 years of residency. :P
Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM
ThePigWhisperer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HARVEY T.GLUCK
You don't need a job-----Just a Rich Father Hopefully....Harvey

Feel like adopting?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Win the lottery.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Xwet
Racer

Whats a job?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's some solid advice.

It can take a lifetime to accumulate the kind of wealth you need for a ZR-1.

It only take 5 minutes to marry into the kind of wealth you need for a ZR-1.

Best wishes!

RMX
Old 04-22-2009, 03:36 PM
wei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cam355aro

i see this question almost every week on other car forums and usually owners frown upon such a question. maybe it's too personal, etc. although Corvette owners seem to be the nicer folk out of the car forums i visit.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:48 PM
yellerz51
Pro

First drop out of school.. You'll never get one that way.

Get a job on an oil rig for a year or so for the experience.. Then go EX-Pat and work overseas on a 18-24 month gig while your room and board is paid for. A nice warm place like Kuwait. Save all of the cash.

Come back to the states and blow all of it!

By then the price should be just over MSRP!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM
1 BAD ZR1
Full size member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Pirates are making pretty good money right now. But it just became a dangerous job.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:07 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

Don't want to sound like a downer but the chances of you getting one on your own anytime soon are probably next to nill. Especially with the way the economy is at the moment, good luck finding a job that will even pay 24K a year. I'm in that situation right now fresh out of college.

Once out of college, you have to think about repaying student loans, insurance on the Corvette you already have (if that's the one in your av), rent for an apartment, health insurance, money towards a savings account, groceries, other living requirements and pretty soon you'll realize you won't be owning a ZR1 for a very very long time.

When I was 20, my mind was always planning how I would restore my old 85 but it's funny how time changes you. At almost 26 years old, I find that the Corvette is an after thought when it comes to the other things the real world presents you. I spend more time these days worrying about getting student loan repayments in order and putting money away in savings than anything Vette related.

Considering all the doom and gloom around here, the ZR1 will be short lived and fall into the hands of collectors that will cause the prices to skyrocket even further. Maybe it's just a phase and it will pass, there's nothing wrong with lusting after the ZR1 but when I see C6 Z06 owners wishing they could afford one, it's kind of hard for the lesser well off people (financially speaking) to aspire for one.

I love the ZR1 but thank goodness I pine for the C4 ZR-1 which can be obtained (for now...). Here is to proving me wrong, cam355aro but I say be happy with what you've got. I'd much rather hot rod the old stuff to hang with the new stuff anyway, straight line wise that is.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Elephanthead
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to get rich is to start your own company. Second best way is to get a job that pays a lot of money, this requires either a lot of hard work, or a lot of luck, same as option one. Your other option has been suggested, marry very well. There are other ways if you have some sort of unique skills, but I believe the above three are the most common, this comes not from personal experience (I am lazy and not lucky, and my wife is not rich), but an observation of how some of my clients become financially secure enough to spend 100K on a car.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1 BAD ZR1
Pirates are making pretty good money right now. But it just became a dangerous job.
How many Avatars are you going to get 1 BAD ZR1
Old 04-22-2009, 05:23 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

My advice to you cam355aro is to not worry about it. Take time to figure out what you like to do. If you were to just jump into a job that paid enough for the ZR1, you would be stuck there for life trying to pay the car off. Why have a ZR1 and be stuck in a place you don’t like, stressed out, and unable to be relaxed enough to enjoy the car?

I know the ZR1 is alluring, but the same skills you need to balance the ZR1 in your life (even if you already owned one) are the same skills you need in order to afford one.

Find a job you like, then aim high. That will get you where you want to be.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

These bums all married rich women . . .

Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Don't want to sound like a downer but the chances of you getting one on your own anytime soon are probably next to nill. Especially with the way the economy is at the moment, good luck finding a job that will even pay 24K a year. I'm in that situation right now fresh out of college.

Once out of college, you have to think about repaying student loans, insurance on the Corvette you already have (if that's the one in your av), rent for an apartment, health insurance, money towards a savings account, groceries, other living requirements and pretty soon you'll realize you won't be owning a ZR1 for a very very long time.

When I was 20, my mind was always planning how I would restore my old 85 but it's funny how time changes you. At almost 26 years old, I find that the Corvette is an after thought when it comes to the other things the real world presents you. I spend more time these days worrying about getting student loan repayments in order and putting money away in savings than anything Vette related.

Considering all the doom and gloom around here, the ZR1 will be short lived and fall into the hands of collectors that will cause the prices to skyrocket even further. Maybe it's just a phase and it will pass, there's nothing wrong with lusting after the ZR1 but when I see C6 Z06 owners wishing they could afford one, it's kind of hard for the lesser well off people (financially speaking) to aspire for one.

I love the ZR1 but thank goodness I pine for the C4 ZR-1 which can be obtained (for now...). Here is to proving me wrong, cam355aro but I say be happy with what you've got. I'd much rather hot rod the old stuff to hang with the new stuff anyway, straight line wise that is.
It's sad for me to read what you just wrote, as I know it's tough out there. But, there are always opportunties for those who desire to get ahead in life, regardless of the economy.

It takes keeping your eyes open for opportunities; jumping on those opportunities when they present themselves; working as hard and long as it takes to learn quickly and become proficient; having the drive to become the very best in your profession above everyone else; maintaining a lifestyle below your earning capacilty so you can save money (money in the bank is financial freedom); trying to keep your personal responsibilities at a minimum so you can do whatever it takes to get ahead in your work (meaning, wait to have kids, and don't weigh yourself down with a lot of loans, etc. until you start to have some financial breathing room); and luck!

Once you have established your own business (preferably one that does not need money tied up in inventories, and is not dependent on a large number of manpower), and it has become very successful...Then sell it to a NY investment banking firm, negotiate for as much money up front as you can, and work the remaining three year contract as hard as if you still own the business. You keep actively building the business during the length of your employment contract, so you'll be able to collect the remainder of the buy-out money that was held in arrears. Then, stay on as a part-time paid advisor for a number of years.

I'll also say that in the beginning, and once you find a profession that you feel has good earning potential, it's always best to learn how to become great in that profession while working for someone else and on their dime sort of speak. Then, you jump off and start your own business, knowing when the timing is right.

I don't own a ZR1, but do currently have a new '09 ZO6. I could drive anything I would want, but I'm still of the mind of spending only what I could possibly need (best bang for the buck expenditures)

Last edited by beden1; 04-22-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To An envious college student

Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 PM
OilMaggott
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Welcome to the game...we all desire more than we can aford. And every now and then we get a reward. Ihave found the harder I work the more rewards I get.....

Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

Dont worry about what other people do for a living. That doesnt mean ****. I know business owners that are broke. If you work your *** off and be smart with your money, things will come. Dont worry about the salary of your job(to a point), just worry about what your career is doing for you.

Also, being a college grad just 2 years ago and having customers that are going bankrupt daily, my best advise to you is to research who you want to work for. Many of these companies where you are 'just a number' are laying off recent hires. Look for a smaller company that is growing in an industry that will make it thru the recession.

Good luck

PS: ZR1s are cheap. if you want to "afford" something. reach higher!

Last edited by m48xhp; 04-22-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the hardest money you'll ever earn!
Originally Posted by REMIX
Here's some solid advice.

It can take a lifetime to accumulate the kind of wealth you need for a ZR-1.

It only take 5 minutes to marry into the kind of wealth you need for a ZR-1.

Best wishes!

RMX

Quick Reply: [ZR1] An envious college student