Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PCM/ECU questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:54 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Dan is correct. Very few if any people try multiple tuners or know what they are missing. They get the car tuned, it makes power on dyno, drives ok, and they praise how awesome their tuner is and how he/she is the best. I've seen local tunes that are complete crap yet the owners were happy because they don't know better.
I'm learning a lot and now I'm genuinely interested in how to really evaluate the tune. My tune right now is purely MAF from what I now understand. Too end runs great but it bucks more than it should and I think a hybrid is the right call. I really need to get HPT and learn how to look at things and maybe even tweak it since I'll spend countless seat time in it.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:58 PM
Indepth
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT
I'm learning a lot and now I'm genuinely interested in how to really evaluate the tune. My tune right now is purely MAF from what I now understand. Too end runs great but it bucks more than it should and I think a hybrid is the right call. I really need to get HPT and learn how to look at things and maybe even tweak it since I'll spend countless seat time in it.
This is due to the fact that the car is 'hybrid tuned' from the factory and when a tuner only tunes the MAF the VVE tables are left untouched.

VVE tables are used below a certain RPM range when cruising. MAF is used typically at WOT or in other words above a certain RPM. (This is how it's been explained to me and explained on the HPT Forums.)

HPT is not cheap but it is a great thing to have. I'm still learning and have a lot to go but I was victim to the stereotypical "MAF only" tune from a local tuning shop on my first go around. I've since found a tuner that knows the in's and out's and has no problem with me tearing apart his tune and asking him questions about it.

Last edited by Indepth; 04-03-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:00 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Indepth
This couldn't be more true, sadly those types of tuners run wild it seems.

You data logged your entire trip? Dedication right there.
Nah, one better - Dashlogic FTW. I also run the WB full time, so I see real-time Lambda - nothing hides from me, just a paranoid control freak I guess.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Indepth
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Nah, one better - Dashlogic FTW. I also run the WB full time, so I see real-time Lambda - nothing hides from me, just a paranoid control freak I guess.
I'm just as bad as you, I didn't realize you could utilize Dashlogic for that. I might have to look into this. I've been paranoid and thinking about wiring up an WB setup myself - control freak checking in here as well.

Last edited by Indepth; 04-03-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

I'm just as bad as you, I didn't realize you could utilize Dashlogic for that. I might have to look into this. I've been paranoid and thinking about wiring up an WB setup myself - control freak checking in here as well.
I can send you my DL config file, answer any questions about my setup, glad to help.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 04-03-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:39 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

What does dash logic do for you with regard monitoring that's so beneficial?
Old 04-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Indepth
Instructor

What does dash logic do for you with regard monitoring that's so beneficial?
Typically, with HPTuners you'd need to have your interface module connected to your OBDII port with your laptop up and running for a live data scan.

By the sound of it, you can utilize Dashlogic (a little dongle that plugs into your OBDII port) to record data and certain specified parameters based on a config file you can load into it.

Dan, I'll shoot you a PM later this evening. I'm interested in hearing more.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:05 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Here's why.....

Another real-world example of why it is good to keep the MAF in play..

Heading to Barber MP this Saturday, when I left my house at 5AM it was around 45 degrees. The temperature change coupled with a drop in elevation (I live in GA, track is in AL) I saw up to 14% positive LTFT's on the way there (typically they are at 0 or -2 ~ -3).

Throughout the day the temps rose to almost 80 degrees.

The point is, there are very good reasons for running the stock MAF / SD hybrid configuration - a lot of "tooners" (stole that one from MD) will do MAF-only tunes because they are too lazy to do the real work to map the VVE tables. The sad part is 90% of the folks that have these tunes in their car have no clue it is setup that way.

We (US TOONERS) like to keep the MAF in play just for the reasons you mentioned....

As the environmental changes occur.... A MAF car will tolerate the changes better.

Edelbrock and many other companies that distribute starter tunes with their products will ONLY MAF tune the car.

Guys with big cams or intake systems (which can easily vary from car to car even having the EXACT same parts)

that (for instance) place the blow off valves in different locations, will have trouble tuning the MAF as

reversion and other flow characteristics change making it impossible to get a stable MAF curve built.

Speed Density tuning will typically benefit you on bigger builds especially like when using the EFI LIVE

(FREE) custom 1,2, or 3 BAR SD custom operating systems.

Why don't us tuners do it every time? Because some people would cry about an 8-$1,000+ tune and every time

you touch the car.....the tune could change significantly.... Requiring re-tune.

The MAF calibration is one single table (1 row wide) by many cells long. The GM VE table is MANY rows by MANY columns making it

much more time consuming and tedious to get it working right and if there is a need to adjust the tune....It's

LOTS of time so SD tuning costs much more than MAF tuning.

There are very good reasons to use each type and YES, you can make 1200+ with a MAF. Same with VE

Each vehicle will come in with different mods and we typically try to MAF tune everything, but along the way

sometimes you will see variances that just make it impossible to finish the job using the MAF... So, it's turns into a SD tune.

The other reason..... LARGE INJECTORS (maf and also injector limits) ESPECIALLY when the vehicle is an A6 or A8 car.....

Then the SD tune makes sense because MAF tunes that require scaling or giant injectors will usually wreak havoc with the

automatic transmissions forcing you to switch up to SD...

Both have their place and MOST vehicles run fantastic with MAF only tunes..... There's no real right/wrong answer.

Most often basic bolt on 8psi supercharger kits work fine in MAF and most other more complicated builds dictate SD.

Chuck CoW
Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Typically, with HPTuners you'd need to have your interface module connected to your OBDII port with your laptop up and running for a live data scan.

By the sound of it, you can utilize Dashlogic (a little dongle that plugs into your OBDII port) to record data and certain specified parameters based on a config file you can load into it.

Dan, I'll shoot you a PM later this evening. I'm interested in hearing more.
No data storage on the DL, just real-time monitoring (I have several pages built out to display on the HUD, as well as the IP display).

If you have the pro version of the HPT module, that one can data log w/o a laptop (it's a small buffer, but still useful, especially if you don't want a laptop rolling around in the car).
Old 04-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Indepth
Instructor

No data storage on the DL, just real-time monitoring (I have several pages built out to display on the HUD, as well as the IP display).

If you have the pro version of the HPT module, that one can data log w/o a laptop (it's a small buffer, but still useful, especially if you don't want a laptop rolling around in the car).
Let me tell you, trying to do WOT pulls with a laptop in the passenger seat by yourself and keep an eye on data is challenging to say the least!

Dashlogic allows you to make custom HUD displays? Hmmmm. This is getting closer and closer to the top of the "need" list.

I have the software and a borrowed HPTuners interface right now (it isn't the pro). But I'll be buying the pro version so the included interface can allow analog (WB) inputs.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:23 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default While the HPTuners is very popular....

Let me tell you, trying to do WOT pulls with a laptop in the passenger seat by yourself and keep an eye on data is challenging to say the least!

Dashlogic allows you to make custom HUD displays? Hmmmm. This is getting closer and closer to the top of the "need" list.

I have the software and a borrowed HPTuners interface right now (it isn't the pro). But I'll be buying the pro version so the included interface can allow analog (WB) inputs.
While the HPTuners is very popular.... You might consider the EFI LIVE AutoCal or V2 as there are really no

reasonable limits to what you can record into the device as it has removable SD cards.

It's what I prefer to use and the new V8 software is AWESOME.

Chuck CoW
Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 AM
EBuckC6
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
While the HPTuners is very popular.... You might consider the EFI LIVE AutoCal or V2 as there are really no

reasonable limits to what you can record into the device as it has removable SD cards.

It's what I prefer to use and the new V8 software is AWESOME.

Chuck CoW

Chuck can you check your pm please?

Eric
Old 01-26-2018, 09:11 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
Just 1/2 the IFR and double stoich. Don't even really lose any adjust ability in the tuning.

There are some other advantages to a newer ECU, but for what you want, wouldn't deal with the hassle.

I have a 2009+ ecu sitting in garage waiting to go in, but haven't found the will power to do it just to read boost past 2.5 bar.
I was digging back into the newer ECU swap and comparing wiring pin-outs from GM data... Looks like the ECU listed for what is in my 2008 Z06 is only 1 pin off from the one listed for the 2010 Z06 ECU.

Is there something that says this is MUCH harder than it looks?
Old 01-27-2018, 08:06 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

I was digging back into the newer ECU swap and comparing wiring pin-outs from GM data... Looks like the ECU listed for what is in my 2008 Z06 is only 1 pin off from the one listed for the 2010 Z06 ECU.

Is there something that says this is MUCH harder than it looks?
So, what are we trying to do here? Why are we talking about 2010 ECMs in 2008 cars???

They are different and not interchangable.

I have tons of them. Call me if you need help.

Chuck CoW
Old 01-27-2018, 08:09 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
So, what are we trying to do here? Why are we talking about 2010 ECMs in 2008 cars???

They are different and not interchangable.

I have tons of them. Call me if you need help.

Chuck CoW
This is the same discussion as before in trying to get the new ecm capability of larger injector tables and such for an older car (in my case an 08) to avoid scaling and loosing adjustability with larger injectors to run 1000+ whp with e85. I realize people have made it work with scaled tables but was trying to avoid that if possible and going aftermarket ecm is not worth it to me. I have heard that you can repin the harness to support a newer ecm.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I installed a 2010 E38 in my 2008 Z06. No re-pin. Call Dave Steck. He'll hook you up. You will have to perform a clutch learn and a couple other small things, but it's not an onerous task by any means.

Let me know if there are any tables you would like a screenshot of to see if they might fit your needs.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:34 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I installed a 2010 E38 in my 2008 Z06. No re-pin. Call Dave Steck. He'll hook you up. You will have to perform a clutch learn and a couple other small things, but it's not an onerous task by any means.

Let me know if there are any tables you would like a screenshot of to see if they might fit your needs.
Michael, this is what I figured seeing how similar the pinouts were. Can you confirm that you don't have the same limitations in the injector tables as before? If so I'm very interested in this. Please pm me your info if you're willing to discuss and I will also try and contact Dave.

Get notified of new replies

To PCM/ECU questions.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:43 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

2010 max IFR is 127 lb/hr.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:44 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael_D
2010 max IFR is 127 lb/hr.
Perfect. I'd love the information. Thank you for your help. I want to swap the ecm in.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:49 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

PM me your email. I'll send you my file and you can use the HPT compare function to see all the different tables.

I did it so I could get more tables for tweaking the O2 sensors, but it does have other benefits as well. (you will need to download the beta HPT).

Quick Reply: [Z06] PCM/ECU questions.