Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Service Tire Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 AM
v8maro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service Tire Monitor

ok...got this message on the DIC today. Flipped through to check tire pressures and all 4 wheels said XX.

This past weekend I got my new wheels mounted, and had bought 4 sensors from a board member on here. When I left Discount tire, the sensors were reading and there were no issues at that time.

Anyone have any ideas of what I need to do here?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

You might ask your installer if he used a "Trigger Tool" to have your Z recognize your new sensors. This must be done with new or different sensors.

Sometimes your car will keep it's old readings for awhile. After that, you get XX.

Good luck, 2k
Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 PM
v8maro
Racer

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
You might ask your installer if he used a "Trigger Tool" to have your Z recognize your new sensors. This must be done with new or different sensors.

Sometimes your car will keep it's old readings for awhile. After that, you get XX.

Good luck, 2k
What exactly does that mean? The sensors came of a '07 Z. I saw them program them there. Before anything was mounted, I made sure they checked all 4 sensors at the counter to verify each one was working.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by v8maro
What exactly does that mean? The sensors came of a '07 Z. I saw them program them there. Before anything was mounted, I made sure they checked all 4 sensors at the counter to verify each one was working.
I assume the sensors are the OEM GM sensors made by Schrader - the correct ones for a 2006-2009 C6 will be gray and peanut shaped, like in the picture below:

A new set of tire pressure sensors MUST be programmed into the TPMS. To program the 2005-2009 sensors, a TPMS tool must be used to trigger the sensors during the procedure to get them to transmit their data to the TPMS computer in the car to be logged into the TPMS memory.

You say "I saw them program them there". More importantly, did you HEAR them program the sensors???

You might have seen them walking around the car, but if you didn't hear a honk when they put the car into the learn mode, and if you didn't hear a honk when they triggered the sensor at each wheel (double honk at the left rear), then they didn't do the programming procedure correctly. Take a look at the video below to see (and HEAR!) how the procedure should be done.

I'm quite sure that they didn't do a learn procedure properly and your sensors are not programmed into your TPMS.

Bob

Old 06-01-2011, 03:27 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

The tpms I got from tirerack are red schraders. These are going to be the right ones correct?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 PM
v8maro
Racer

Ok, went to discount on my lunch break...idiots at the store I got them installed at didn't even program it....ugh. Took all of my lunch hour, but I heard the four honks All seems good now.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

whatcop? asked:

The tpms I got from tirerack are red schraders. These are going to be the right ones correct?
The sensors that Schrader supplies to GM for distribution through the GM parts system are blue, green, white, gray, and maybe some other colors. I think this is so the Techs can more easily identify the sensors required for the various GM vehicles. And the GM Part# is molded into the front of the case.

The OEM GM supplied sensors for a 2005-2009 C6 are GM Part# 25758220, and they are gray peanut shaped sensors - you may be able to make out the GM Part# molded into the case in the picture below:

The OEM GM supplied sensors for a 2010 or newer C6 are GM Part# 15268606, and they are green peanut shaped sensors:

The exact same Schrader sensors are distributed outside of the GM parts system, and they have different part #'s and my experience is that they are generally all red in color, but they may be other colors as well - I think maybe black.

Here's a link to a non GM Schrader sensor (exactly the same as the 25758220 for a 2005-2009 C6 that is distributed through GM parts sources). You can see that the Schrader part# is 20076:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...archTerm=20076

And here's a link to a non GM Schrader sensor that is exactly the same as the 15268606 for a 2010+ C6, and it's Schrader part# 20158:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1...art-20158.html

You can see that in both those links above the sensors are red - but they are not interchangeable. You must get the proper one for your model year or they just won't work.

Oro-Tek also makes some aftermarket tire pressure sensors for the C6, but they have their own different part #'s.

So, if you have a 2005-2009 C6, the Schrader sensor part #'s are 25758220 for the GM supplied one, and 20076 for ones you get from other sources.

If you have a 2010+ C6, the Schrader sensor part #'s are 15268606 for the GM ones, and 20158 for the ones distributed outside of GM.

Edited: Starting in January 2011 the factory began installing a different sensor - same TPMS, just a different sensor (either one will work in all 2010-2013 C6's). Instead of the green sensor, it's a black peanut shaped sensor with GM part# 20925924. The green sensor can be triggered by a TPMS tool or by changing air pressure in the tire, but the the newer black one can only be triggered by a TPMS tool.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 08-04-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Updated links
Old 06-01-2011, 06:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by v8maro
Ok, went to discount on my lunch break...idiots at the store I got them installed at didn't even program it....ugh. Took all of my lunch hour, but I heard the four honks All seems good now.
EXCELLENT!! Glad you're operating normal now!!

If you have one sensor go bad, you'll get a DIC message almost as soon as it happens, or within a minute or two of beginning to drive. The TPMS will get signals from the operating sensors, and it will know that the TPMS is working properly so the problem must be that one bad sensor.

In your case, with 4 new sensors that aren't programmed in, the TPMS won't get any signals from any sensors (it just doesn't recognize them if they aren't programmed in and doesn't pay any attention to signals from them - they're just like some other car you might be driving beside down the highway, i.e. totally unknown to your TPMS).

In the case of 4 unprogrammed sensors, the TPMS "remembers" the last known pressures from the sensors that are programmed in - at least as long as the battery is not disconnected.

The DIC will display those last known pressures as you drive - in the case of a 2005-2007 for about one hour, for newer C6's that's reduced to 30 minutes or less. After about an hour the TPMS will realize that it just isn't going to get any signals, and it's not because all 4 sensors went bad - it must be because the TPMS is bad, so you get the "Service Tire Monitor" message.

So....with your 2007 you must have gone for a nice long drive for more than approximately one hour (and that's steady driving without shutting off the ignition) to get that "Service Tire Monitor" message and the last known pressures will change to "xx psi".

At any rate, glad your sensors are all programmed in and you've got good pressure readings for all your tires!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-01-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey BEZ06,

Great job explaining.

I think that post would be a good sticky, if not already.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

This is great information. Thank you for that!

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW, I've read a number of posts on other forums recently that indicates that GM has changed the programming in the TPMS so that:

Cars built after Jan 2011 will not be able to program sensors using the change of air pressure method - a tool will be required!!!

The 2005-2009 C6 sensors can only be triggered by a tool when programming them into the TPMS.

With the 2010 model year Chebie changed the TPMS in the C6 so that different sensors were required. The new TPMS allowed the sensors to be triggered by changing air pressure in the tire during the programming procedure.

Apparently they have done away with that air pressure change triggering method in cars built since Jan 2011 and a tool must be used to trigger sensors in those cars built since then.

They also have made a TPMS tool available - it's the EL-50448 tool, which is the official tool number in the GM system.

I don't know whether you can get the tool through GM sources or not, but I've seen it available for around $58.

Bob
Old 08-04-2012, 06:47 PM
4U2ENV
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

here is a good one, I had to get the bad left tire change at 2000 miles, nail in tire, now at 3300 miles I get an alert for the back two only
Old 06-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Richiez
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TRY resetting them with the inexpensive
VXDAS EL-50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicle "><span style=VXDAS EL-50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicle " /> VXDAS EL-50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicle ">VXDAS EL-50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicle

for C6 vettes

Get notified of new replies

To Service Tire Monitor

Quick Reply: [Z06] Service Tire Monitor