Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] poor z tags wall in NH

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
He had better hope his insurance company doesn't see this thread.
All standard policies nowadays exclude any type of "timed event" from coverage.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the link. It lead to another link.

The guy posting as "on and off track insurance" was only here for three posts and hasn't been back in months.

AO Underwriters, well, their site makes no mention of track insurance that I found.

But some digging led me to another, which had the following exclusion:

"Coverage is not provided when the car is going down the race track under power, but coverage is provided in the pits, staging lanes, and on the return road. (Please read your actual policy to familiarize yourself with its terms and
conditions.)".

Years ago, I had heard of track incidents at HPDEs being covered by some conventional insurance companies, and then the claimant usually dropped after the claim was settled. The loophole then was that it wasn't a timed event.

I know of none of the major insurance companies offering coverage for timed events.

Now, many of them include a clause to the effect that any incident occuring on a surface intended for racing, or other competition, will be excluded. Timed or not.

The days of your insurance company covering a track incident and then
dropping you, are probably gone forever.

It goes without saying though that the chance exists that anyone who tells you that their insurance company covered an on track incident, might be too embarrassed to say that they actually wound up eating the cost of the repair or replacement of the car themselves, or worse, that they filed a fraudulent
claim.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-12-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Insurance companies prefer waxers over racers, no doubt. They are in it to make money, nothing else. Rates are now closely tied to your credit worthiness, too. They will use every angle to maximize profits. They will recover claims they been paying out for all the natural disaster damaged cars of late.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Thanks for the link. It lead to another link.

The guy posting as "on and off track insurance" was only here for three posts and hasn't been back in months.

He is not a vendor here.

AO Underwriters, well, their site makes no mention of track insurance that I found.

You might try picking up the phone with AO. I'm certain it will lead you in the right direction..

But some digging led me to another, which had the following exclusion:

"Coverage is not provided when the car is going down the race track under power, but coverage is provided in the pits, staging lanes, and on the return road. (Please read your actual policy to familiarize yourself with its terms and
conditions.)".

Wrong type of policy you dug up.. Those are the exclusions for non-track policies, off-track only...

Years ago, I had heard of track incidents at HPDEs being covered by some conventional insurance companies, and then the claimant usually dropped after the claim was settled. The loophole then was that it wasn't a timed event.

I know of none of the major insurance companies offering coverage for timed events.

Now, many of them include a clause to the effect that any incident occuring on a surface intended for racing, or other competition, will be excluded. Timed or not.

The days of your insurance company covering a track incident and then
dropping you, are probably gone forever.

It goes without saying though that the chance exists that anyone who tells you that their insurance company covered an on track incident, might be too embarrassed to say that they actually wound up eating the cost of the repair or replacement of the car themselves, or worse, that they filed a fraudulent
claim.

Well there you have it, I guess it doesn't exist....
There are in fact Drag Race insurance policies available. I researched this for a while since I am involved with a very extensive build. If anyone is interested I can forward you my broker's telephone number. These policies are based on agreed value and quoted at roughly $4.40/$100 of coverage.

The underwriter I selected is out of NJ, rated A+ by AM best and paid 1.2 million in claims last year.

Their are provisions for 24/7 coverage of any physical damage or Water-Box to Return-Road only coverage.

It's not a cheap premium but a wall hit can surely ruin your day and wallet.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] poor z tags wall in NH