Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:32 PM
My07C6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
Will this ever end, on and on and on. My conclusion is you F'ed your motor and you want someone to pay for it and it took you a long time to do it. I guess with over 140K on mine I'm sitting on time bomb where the clock must have hung up.
How hard do you drive your Z06?
Do you do wide open 7,000 rpm shifts? If so, how often?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:24 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by My07C6
How hard do you drive your Z06?
Do you do wide open 7,000 rpm shifts? If so, how often?
It's driven as hard as any out there, I am on my 12th set of tires if that helps. Car has been tracked, I have videos. Just did a cross country trip 6800 miles with some other Corvettes one being a 07 Z06 like mine with less than 30K, performance identical, gas mileage the same also. In fact when we filled we were always with in a couple tenths on the fill. The only time I use a gallon more is when I used the Air Conditioner. 27.8mpg was the average according to the computer, which is a bit on the high side. This includes some aggressive runs through the tail of the dragon plus some spirited driving along the way. I've been in manufacturing for nearly 50 years and if you think that one can produce a product perfect all the time is smoking something. Unfortunately a company doesn't have the time or resources to test each and every part you rely on the integrity of your suppliers. This idea of the flawed design theory is based on what??
Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by Doc V.
Here's a link to the 2007 Corvette Owner Manual: http://www.c6registry.com/Technical/...07corvette.pdf

I can't find the information (highlighted in red) to which you've made reference, hoefi. In fact, only pages 290-1 contain references to "racing or other competitive driving," and the information on those pages doesn't focus on "REALLY high speed driving" or on the steps necessary "to extract full performance out of the car by shifting at redline." (Page 333 identifies the Z06's "racetrack-ready dry sump engine lubrication system.")

Are you making reference to a different document--one which contains those "multiple sections?"
My Canadian version that came with the car. We get a french version too, do you want to see that one too :

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-26-2011, 11:56 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hoefi
My Canadian version that came with the car. We get a french version too, do you want to see that one too :

[IMG][/IMG]

my car doesnt have a shift light, only a 1-4 shift indicator are canadian cars different?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:01 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
my car doesnt have a shift light, only a 1-4 shift indicator are canadian cars different?
My car has it in the HUD when it is in Track mode. Thus, all cars have it.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 AM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by hapnermw
If you don't trust the dealership to measure the guides then ask them to have it done by a third party. Either way you should request a record of all measurements, not just a general pass-fail.

There is no interpretation here. GM has publicly specified the allowable valve guide tolerance. Either a guide is in-spec or it isn't. I believe someone posted the allowable tolerance in one of these valve separation threads.
If an owner is planning to remove the heads for measurement, he might as well do it before the warrantee runs out rather than after. Specs are as follow.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-27-2011, 12:36 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
My car has it in the HUD when it is in Track mode. Thus, all cars have it.
i have been running my car in track mode most of the time, i have never seen it, is this a warning rpm inticator or a fuel efficient time to shift indicator and where is it exactly? on track 1 or 2?
mine is an 08
Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Section 3-20 and 3-21 of the Corvette Owner's manual. Page 172

Section 5-66 of the owner's manual "High Speed Operation" in the "Tires" section of the manual which starts at 5-57 Page 389
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 AM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

In spite of all the arguments as to how much heat is too much and splitting hairs on proper fuel mapping, one thing has become clear to me. NO ONE has reported taking apart a new LS7 head and reported on the valve guide clearances. This means that we can't assume that the out of spec guides were worn for any reason. They could very possibly been mis-machined at the valve guide factory. If we had a heat/wear problem, we would see fairly similar problems on all of the exhaust valve guides. Not necessarily the same specs but at least a noticeable wear trend. Hoefi has 2 guides that are way out of spec at almost the identical measurement. The other 6 are virtually perfect. I re-read the GM representative engineering report and I agree that the small amount of metal transfer from the guide was due to the final few passes of the stem through the guide after being bent by the valve head failure. With the information presented here, I personally feel that GM's valve guide supplier mis-machined two of his guides and has a quality control problem that caused the valve head to rattle in the guide, land offset to the seat and fail due to (and no one has mentioned this as a Non Destructive Inspection Test) metal fatigue at the flex point of the stem which is between the valve head and the part of the stem that rises short of the bottom part of the guide. I think that also explains why some cars have failed valves at low mileage and no racing. I think that is also why some engines as Katech has said have shown massive valve guide wear in low mileage engines. Remember, when an engine guy pulls apart a head and sees that the guides are way out of spec, he really doesn't know if they are worn or they were out of spec at assembly. We only assume that they were in spec at assembly but we don't know for sure so an assumption as to the cause can be misleading based on erroneous information. The GM engineer has no information to support his position that there was no manufacturing defect that contributed to the failure since he doesn't know what the actual (not specified) valve guide clearance was to start with. Anyway, I keep reading and I still keep coming up with my conclusion that the guides were MOST LIKELY but not positively bored incorrectly at the factory. That is the only conclusion that I can see that would show 6 perfect guide bore diameters and two guide bores that were way out of spec but almost identical to each other. A Non-Destructive Inspection of the two valves that came out of the two bad guides could show why the broken valve broke and if the good valve is near a metal fatigue stress point. Either way, hoefi should win his case.
Good Night!
Gary
Old 06-27-2011, 12:58 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

i have been running my car in track mode most of the time, i have never seen it, is this a warning rpm inticator or a fuel efficient time to shift indicator and where is it exactly? on track 1 or 2?
mine is an 08
Try it in street mode, it may be easier to see.

Since it coincides with fuel shutoff, it can be difficult to see before the fuel shuts off and the RPMs drop as a result.

It's basically useless.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 AM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot

But making the bizarre claim that GM is tuning the LS7 rich to avoid a hot exhaust valve is ludicrous. As I stated, ALL LS motors are tuned rich from the factory.
Have you ever wondered why GM tuned them so rich (in the 10s I heard, but hey you know what they say about information gathered from the internet). Jason from Ketech also said in one of his previous posts that they run a "very conservative" fuel map (polite way to say pig rich) in their engines.

I do know that one of my race engines makes 100 horsepower per cylinder and I am running in the 10s also. You know why? Because it won't live if I run it leaner. How do I know? Because I blew it up multi times on my engine dyno. GM has nothing to gain by running it richer than necessary. I have nothing to gain by running it richer than necessary, neither does Ketech. We all do it to make sure the hottest component stays cool enough to survive the anticipated usage. That hottest component can be piston top, exhaust valve or any other items that sees the combustion heat. If the exhuast valve is not the issue then there is something else next in line that promted GM to use the rich map. I never said they are using it to hide a design flaw (you said that). I said they run it pig rich as an attemp to keep the valve temperature in check, which is exactly what fuel map tuning is all about. What's so ludicrous about that? I did the same thing as an attempt to cool my piston in my engine, I felt no shame in doing that.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 AM
hoefi
Racer

If GM reads these posts to use the evidence in court then i would think it is fair to say that they are WELL aware of the LS7 failures.
initially i was thinking to myself they must be at least a little concerned about the problem. however as others have stated there are few cases of unmodified engines having failures. it seems at least from what i have been reading most of the failures have occured on modified engines or engines that have been used at the track. since they can only be replaced under warranty GM's only option is to place blame on hoe the owner uses their product despite all the info you have presented about their written information that the car is a race ready built car.
understand i am in NO WAY trying to take away from the issue at hand that this does happen to totally stock motors.
the point i am trying to make here is that if GM is watching thease posts and is aware that stock engines have failed. that in thoes cases with some poking and prodding end up replacing a motor under warranty. you would think they would either come up with a solution or a recall or at least a service bulliton.
but i guess since the number of failures are so small on un modified engines maybe the cost to send out a recall with a fix would be far in excess of cost than dealing with a warranty on only thoes customers who experience an engine failure on a unmodified engine. it is also clear from your pictures that they sent out someone to basically try to diffuse the situation and deny your claim rather than man up and honor their warranty.
i think it all comes down to dollars and it seems to me that GM will always take the path that cost the least amount of money, rather than the path that creates the most amount of customer loyalty!

so GM if your reading this post why don't you make a comment for us and share your opinion? do you not see what a mess of things your making? as these corvettes reach their 5 year 100,000 mile warranty starting in 2007 you have 1 more year to start dealing with this mess. and with the 2011 and i believe 2012 corvettes comming off the line with the same engine this problem will haunt you for a good while longer. you cannot simply deny every claim. sooner or later there will be somthing in the news about your company and it's failure to simply honor the warranty. do you want to get in the public eye like toyota did for the floor mat recall? or their prius issues?

and to Hoefi, i think it is great your bringing all of your findings to light. but i think the best service you could do for the corvette community would have been to share your story before and during your court battle with the media. not only would they love to make a story on it but it would definitly get GM's attention and instead of dealing with you as an upset customer it would likely create a lot of negitive PR for GM and it seems companies like this only react wien their name gets drug through the mud in the public eye.
i think that if GM was faced with the thought of loosing sales due to totally stock engines failing and GM unwilling to warranty the engine if you race the car on a track it would definitly limit the number of people considering the purchase of a new corvette, and give GM a black eye in the eyes of the publis looking to buy their product knowing the company wont stand behind their product.

look at hyundai, they offer a pretty amazing warranty.. i wouldnt consider running out and buying one, but it does make me feel like they arent such a peice of crap car as i used to think. at least people who buy them have the feeling the manufacturer will stand behind the product and last i checked they have been selling a lot more cars then they used to.
GM wasn't combing this forum. It was their lawyer, and mostl likely some junior in the office (the 10 videos they found were funny, more on that later). The problem is thru out the whole ordeal, GM wasn't interest at all in founding out what happend. No one from engineering look at it. Period.

As to contacting media, it's more difficult than you think. Most magazines or newpapers won't touch it with a ten foot pole if GM is spending an amount of advertising money at their publication. I had two companies declined to testify as expert witnesses because of fear that GM might put them on a black list. Off the record, they agree with my findings (more on that later also).
Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
In spite of all the arguments as to how much heat is too much and splitting hairs on proper fuel mapping, one thing has become clear to me. NO ONE has reported taking apart a new LS7 head and reported on the valve guide clearances. This means that we can't assume that the out of spec guides were worn for any reason. They could very possibly been mis-machined at the valve guide factory. If we had a heat/wear problem, we would see fairly similar problems on all of the exhaust valve guides. Not necessarily the same specs but at least a noticeable wear trend. Hoefi has 2 guides that are way out of spec at almost the identical measurement. The other 6 are virtually perfect. I re-read the GM representative engineering report and I agree that the small amount of metal transfer from the guide was due to the final few passes of the stem through the guide after being bent by the valve head failure. With the information presented here, I personally feel that GM's valve guide supplier mis-machined two of his guides and has a quality control problem that caused the valve head to rattle in the guide, land offset to the seat and fail due to (and no one has mentioned this as a Non Destructive Inspection Test) metal fatigue at the flex point of the stem which is between the valve head and the part of the stem that rises short of the bottom part of the guide. I think that also explains why some cars have failed valves at low mileage and no racing. I think that is also why some engines as Katech has said have shown massive valve guide wear in low mileage engines. Remember, when an engine guy pulls apart a head and sees that the guides are way out of spec, he really doesn't know if they are worn or they were out of spec at assembly. We only assume that they were in spec at assembly but we don't know for sure so an assumption as to the cause can be misleading based on erroneous information. The GM engineer has no information to support his position that there was no manufacturing defect that contributed to the failure since he doesn't know what the actual (not specified) valve guide clearance was to start with. Anyway, I keep reading and I still keep coming up with my conclusion that the guides were MOST LIKELY but not positively bored incorrectly at the factory. That is the only conclusion that I can see that would show 6 perfect guide bore diameters and two guide bores that were way out of spec but almost identical to each other. A Non-Destructive Inspection of the two valves that came out of the two bad guides could show why the broken valve broke and if the good valve is near a metal fatigue stress point. Either way, hoefi should win his case.
Good Night!
Gary
and alluded to this in an earlier post. It might also explain why there are so few incidences and why coming to any solid conclusions has been so difficult:

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Agreed that is possible. But why would his, at 140,000 miles, be in spec, and the next car with 10,000 miles on it have valve guides which were out of spec?

Also, and to throw another fly into the ointment, I wonder if you took the heads off of 100 brand new LS7s if all of the valve guides would be in spec.

Well, one can still hope, but it's not looking promising Rock.

This saga of a thread, when it's all said and done, and it finally is wrapped up, we are not likely to be any closer to an answer than we were before.

We will have a few more theories though.
It very well could be a quality control issue. They had a supplier send them a batch of bad rockers. And there is talk that there was a bad batch of valve springs before that. The same thing could have happened with these valve guides which show excessive "wear". Whomever assembled some of these heads, may have done so with out of spec valve guides to begin with.

I'm surprised that no one has yet considered comparing serial numbers, or engine build dates with some of these failures as what happened in the rocker situation, or LS7 head markings, if there are any.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-27-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:58 AM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by jimman
It's driven as hard as any out there, I am on my 12th set of tires if that helps. Car has been tracked, I have videos.
As hard as any out there??? Really???

I have seen one of your videos. The speed you were driving is what I would call track touring speed. Nothing wrong with that, lots of people drive like that at the track. 12 sets of tires in 140,000 miles is averaging 12,000 miles a set. The fast guys on the tracks are using them up way way way faster than that.

You mentioned the only thing you ever replaced on your Z was a sensor. So, I guess you haven't cracked your first set of front rotors yet. I assume your dust seals on your brake caliper pistons are intact also. You know why your clock in your bomb hasn't gone off yet??? It's not hung up. It's because you haven't turn it on yet.

Why don't you post some pics of your spark plugs. I miss them.

Qicksilver likes to see photos when someone claims they broke a motor. I like to see videos with a timer running in the background when someone claims he drives as hard as any out there. How about posting one up running at Laguna Seca.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:16 AM
hoefi
Racer

Good Night!
Gary
The other six are not perfect. They are sitting right at the service (4 thou) limit, not acceptable for an 11000 mile engine in my opinion. Cylinder 1 broke with a 16 thou clearance. Cylinder 5 has an 8 thou clearance and the valve was NDT tested, came back negative.

Broken valve was never stuck in the guide as per GM engineer's report. He got the intake and exhaust mixed up (read my notes just above the photo of his report).

Guide wore in an oval shape. Narrow part is much tighter indicating it wasn't overbored during manufacturing. Difficult to do these days with CNC machines and electronics measuring devices for QC.

Still planning to do some more investigation later this year. Since the lawsuit is over, I can now cut part of the guides off and send them out for testing. Interesting to see if there is a difference between them. Didn't want to destroy them earlier because of the lawsuit.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:58 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Since the lawsuit is over, I can now cut part of the guides off and send them out for testing. Interesting to see if there is a difference between them. Didn't want to destroy them earlier because of the lawsuit.
The lawsuit is over? What where the results? I must be reading this thread wrong as I thought it was in progress from your part 2 update.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
The lawsuit is over? What where the results? I must be reading this thread wrong as I thought it was in progress from your part 2 update.
No, he is posting in parts because it was over and extended period of time.....

If you read the post his suite is over. GM settled (4) days before the court date and honored the warranty.

One of hoefi's issues and part of reason he is posting his experience is that GM 'never' was interested in doing the 'right' thing here (according to hoefi's suit) and did not care to find what the issue really was/is.

In his claim he states that GM advertise(s)(d) the Z06 as/is a "track-ready" car. The issue since they claim it's track ready-worthy is that they "refused" his warranty work in his failed engine after having 'tracked' his Z06. (There is another post-NOT by hoefi-that also claims ZR1 advertised in same way-I mention because there seems to be confusion by some following/reading posts here and interupting info as being stated by hoefi-and NOT the case here).

To note, hoefi NEVER claimed that he did NOT track his 'Z as well. I think that is also a point of confusion. He (hoefi) states from go that he has a long history of performance under his belt and is in the know/experienced in this area.

His contention is that his LS7 had a 'heart attack' at 11k miles-took it for warranty work-was refused by GM his warranty-his contention that GM markets Z06 for street OR track......

The point of his post has been to reveal the above and hopefully find the cause for the benefit of members of this Z06-LS7 forum-

As I have read these post(s) I now see that QC could be suspect/OE maker and/or guides 'could' be out of tolerance from manufacturing......I wonder if the tech guys at Wixom measure the guides before installation?

So far seems like 'more' questions and fewer answers.

To hoefi and 40yrw8......when you say a 'new' LS7....how new/how many miles? Mine has around 7500 miles at present.....is that beyond new (I am supposing it IS)....mine has been to a closed course, but NOT driven in a way which would be considered "tracked". I am a novice and I was getting time behind the wheel for driving-handling the car, shifting-braking etc. highest rpm was maybe 4500 rpm if that so I think it would be considered a track "saftey event" or driver training event". I openly admit my 'Z has more capability than I do.....otherwise my LS7 has seen 5k-5500k rpm maybe 2-3 times (accelerating on street) since 1200 mile break=in....before that it NEVER got above 3800k rpm during 'break-in'. I'm saying this because possibly mine could be examined. But, I do NOT think it fits the bill as "new" LS7 any longer......those days already passed with mine.

Anyway.....remain subscribed....

Last edited by tim414; 06-27-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....

Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tim414
No, he is posting in parts because it was over and extended period of time.....

If you read the post his suite is over. GM settled (4) days before the court date and honored the warranty.

One of hoefi's issues and part of reason he is posting his experience is that GM 'never' was interested in doing the 'right' thing here (according to hoefi's suit) and did not care to find what the issue really was/is.

In his claim he states that GM advertise(s)(d) the Z06 as/is a "track-ready" car. The issue since they claim it's track ready-worthy is that they "refused" his warranty work in his failed engine after having 'tracked' his Z06. (There is another post-NOT by hoefi-that also claims ZR1 advertised in same way-I mention because there seems to be confusion by some following/reading posts here and interupting info as being stated by hoefi-and NOT the case here).

To note, hoefi NEVER claimed that he did NOT track his 'Z as well. I think that is also a point of confusion. He (hoefi) states from go that he has a long history of performance under his belt and is in the know/experienced in this area.

His contention is that his LS7 had a 'heart attack' at 11k miles-took it for warranty work-was refused by GM his warranty-his contention that GM markets Z06 for street OR track......

The point of his post has been to reveal the above and hopefully find the cause for the benefit of members of this Z06-LS7 forum-

As I have read these post(s) I now see that QC could be suspect/OE maker and/or guides 'could' be out of tolerance from manufacturing......I wonder if the tech guys at Wixom measure the guides before installation?

So far seems like 'more' questions and fewer answers.

To hoefi and 40yrw8......when you say a 'new' LS7....how new/how many miles? Mine has around 7500 miles at present.....is that beyond new (I am supposing it IS)....mine has been to a closed course, but NOT driven in a way which would be considered "tracked". I am a novice and I was getting time behind the wheel for driving-handling the car, shifting-braking etc. highest rpm was maybe 4500 rpm if that so I think it would be considered a track "saftey event" or driver training event". I openly admit my 'Z has more capability than I do.....otherwise my LS7 has seen 5k-5500k rpm maybe 2-3 times (accelerating on street) since 1200 mile break=in....before that it NEVER got above 3800k rpm during 'break-in'. I'm saying this because possibly mine could be examined. But, I do NOT think it fits the bill as "new" LS7 any longer......those days already passed with mine.

Anyway.....remain subscribed....
I believe that I was the one to mention "brand new" in my post. I don't know that hoefi ever did.

But when I said "new" I meant right off the showroom floor. Or a brand new crate motor, or just a brand new set of stock heads.

Perhaps someone has pulled the heads from a brand new Z06 or crate motor by now during other modifications, but perhaps until now, no one would have ever considered or thought to go so far as to then measure the valve guides.

But the fact is as 40YRW8 mentions, it's hard to talk about excessive "wear" without knowing where you started from in the first place.

It will be hard to find the "cause" until you are sure where you started from.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-27-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Good Night!
Gary
Manufacturing defect was my first guess. I think your explanation comes closest to being right. If it was a problem with the sodium exhaust valve and transferring too much heat thru the guide, the failure rate would be much higher, IMO. Improper clearance in the guide from the get go would explain alot.

Have you ever wondered why GM tuned them so rich (in the 10s I heard, but hey you know what they say about information gathered from the internet). Jason from Ketech also said in one of his previous posts that they run a "very conservative" fuel map (polite way to say pig rich) in their engines.

I do know that one of my race engines makes 100 horsepower per cylinder and I am running in the 10s also. You know why? Because it won't live if I run it leaner. How do I know? Because I blew it up multi times on my engine dyno. GM has nothing to gain by running it richer than necessary. I have nothing to gain by running it richer than necessary, neither does Ketech. We all do it to make sure the hottest component stays cool enough to survive the anticipated usage. That hottest component can be piston top, exhaust valve or any other items that sees the combustion heat. If the exhuast valve is not the issue then there is something else next in line that promted GM to use the rich map. I never said they are using it to hide a design flaw (you said that). I said they run it pig rich as an attemp to keep the valve temperature in check, which is exactly what fuel map tuning is all about. What's so ludicrous about that? I did the same thing as an attempt to cool my piston in my engine, I felt no shame in doing that.
Then why would all LS motors come rich? If it was just the LS7, it would at least point in this direction. I just think it's a leap to come to that conclusion with the information you have now.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The US Owner Manual contains the same information. The portion of the "High Speed Operation" section which you've highlighted pertains to tire inflation pressure adjustments; the portion of the "Head-up Display" section that you've highlighted applies to a shift light, and the reference to the 7000 rpm fuel cut-off for the LS7 engine applies to that light's activation as the engine enters the fuel cut-off mode.

Here's what you've already claimed:

"In my 2007 copy, there are multiple sections inside telling the owner how to prepare their cars for high speed driving (REALLY high speed driving) and how to extract full performance out of the car by shifting at redline." In other words, GM is recommending that if one intends to drive his or her car at very high speed, then one should increase cold tire pressure and shift at redline.

I understand the connection between the adjustment of tire pressure and the preparation of a Z06 "for high speed driving," but that recommendation, which is not exclusive to the Z06, provides, at best, a tenuous connection between high speed operation and engine failure. Moreover, the portion of the manual dealing with the "Head-up Display" doesn't provide advice about "how to extract full performance out of the car by shifting at redline": the connection between full performance and "shifting at redline" is a point that you offer.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....