Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:02 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hoefi
The engine was replaced and the car was back on the road after three months.

The case went thru the samll claim court system. Didn't require a lawyer. All the associated costs were added into my claim against GM. All I really "lost" was time spent preparing the case, parking fees when I went to the courthouse. If the case ended up in court, I would have seeked additional compensation from GM. They got off easy this time, would have cost them a lot more if they were stupid enough to fight me in court. Non of the evidence they submitted to court could dispute my claim that the valve guides were defective. In fact, they did not have any technical evidence at all. The dealer confirmed that GM had fluid samples (motor oil, tranny oil, coolant) sent to a lab for analysis. None of the results showed up as court documents. They whole arguement was that I was racing my car. They submitted a CD with 10 Youtube video clips on it to support their arguement. None of the videos showed me driving or my Z. Three of the videos were in-car footage taken by one of my drivers driving one of my formula cars. One video, taken inside a Miata at a local track, showed a Z spun in front of him. That Z was a black one, not even the same color as mine. One video did mentioned my name as the driver's instructor and one can hear my voice giving verbal instructions to the stuudent. All the other videos are just random videos from drivers who belong to the same sports car club I belong to, driving different cars at the local track. If GM doesn't want to warrantee their cars owned by sports car club members or being driven on the track, they could easily just state that clearly on their warrantee booklet.
Wow. *sigh*
I expected better. Re: GM raiding your Youtube bin.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 66L72
If you can determine the brand, model number of those valve guides I would be interested in that information. Since GM thinks it is a good substitute I would go that way should the need arise.
I am thinking that a rebuild might be a good thing to do once off warranty.....

Glad you got the resolution you wanted.

I would ask the question, why are the guides worn, seems something is adding some lateral pressure? Don't think the guide material is the cause. As far as the you tube thing, well believe it or not, not all of the owners on here are up front with things. Also, if you think you can race this thing for 100k miles and expect GM to cover it without a fight you got to be on drugs.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Undy
Remember, adding a heavier stainless exhaust valve "may" aggravate the already know premature exhaust valve guide wear problem.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,381 Likes on 796 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

You can bet that GM knows that there is an issue and most likely the cause. If they can just make it a few more months without it blowing up on them!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

DAMN.. I just read 23 pages on this.

Question? Won't aftermarket bronze guides wear faster than the factory iron guides if lack of lubrication is a factor? And would inconel valves better transfer heat to prvent guide wear?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
DAMN.. I just read 23 pages on this.

Question? Won't aftermarket bronze guides wear faster than the factory iron guides if lack of lubrication is a factor? And would inconel valves better transfer heat to prvent guide wear?
I don’t know what the true exhaust valve alloy is and not totally sure what composite the guide is made of so it’s impossible to determine thermal dynamic’s of that heat transfer. The sodium provides a better heat spread over the valve stem area giving the best thermal cross section reducing the resultant thermal impedance but that’s all we can tell from what is known.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....