Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSN
Honestly? I did not want to "push" the bank and get myself shut down completely. I had a very limited credit history. This car will beef that up and make a 3LZ a no-brainer loan if I choose to do that--or a '10 Viper.

As long as you run your keyboard instead of that Z when you've got some beers in you!
I see. Well you won't be disappointed in the 3lz package. Makes the interior standout! Not to thread hijack but i'd go for the dark titanium/ebony...As for the beers...well the car stays locked in the garage...safe from friends/myself lol
Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I'm not going to get into the details of GM powertrain testing, but I can tell you that we were not seeing valve guide wear issues. These were stock engines with stock camshafts.
Jason,
For those of us who have stayed stock and want to minimize the risk of valve guide wear, what can we do to accomplish that? Is there an oil additive or a particular brand that has an additive package that could help? Is there an upper cylinder lubricant that might provide additional lubrication between the guide and the valve stem? Is there anything else that you recommend? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Les
Jason,
For those of us who have stayed stock and want to minimize the risk of valve guide wear, what can we do to accomplish that? Is there an oil additive or a particular brand that has an additive package that could help? Is there an upper cylinder lubricant that might provide additional lubrication between the guide and the valve stem? Is there anything else that you recommend? Thanks.
No, I don't recommend any oil additives. Use Mobil 1 5W30 as instructed by the owners manual.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts

They had stock camshafts.

So did the OP.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
So did the OP.
Heres my story and tale of woe......

.......16 lifters replaced at 23,000 miles due to LOUD ticking......

.......then camshaft "wore out" (at 24,000) miles.......

Camshaft and NEW lifters (again) replaced..........

When I inquired why these things happened, I was told:

1. Use of Mobile 1, 5-30. GM speculation of not having the right additive package, hence a new oil developed and recommended for the newer Z06's.

2. Oil changed too often! (every 4,000 miles)

3. Camshaft not 'hardened" properly....

4. Car was not driven "hard" enough............

5. Lifters "wore the camshaft out"....

6. Normal, but let us "trade you" out of it if your not happy with our fixing of the problem.......for a new Z06!.......

The above reasons were given by GM technicians, Service advisors
and Managers of several GM Chevrolet dealerships on "why" my camshaft "failed".

HOWEVER, I still don't drive the urine out of it, never hit the rev limiter, and never floor it in 1st or "burn rubber"............so what am I doing wrong.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:09 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the problem looks like it could be related to heat soak, and thereby not enough oil flow to 'cool' the associated parts, why would I not use a full synthetic 0/5-40 or 0/5-60 for that matter?

Cold starting lubrication doesn't seem to be the problem, but I would suggest high temperature lubrication is what needs improving as well as switching out the faulty parts.

I for one also use ProMa MBL8 Oil Additive ( at the bottom of the page ) ** I dont work for, or have any financial interest in Pro-Ma, I just use the stuff **
http://www.promaperformanceproducts.com/lubricant.htm

I've used this combination in a number of high performance, high revving engines 8000rpm gear shifts etc....and its never skipped a beat.

Frankly, whats in the owners manual isn't stopping peoples engines from grenading themselves, and as much as I appreciate people are going to avoid putting in writing something which can be later used against them, or GM in court, those who are modding their engines and are going to be denied a warranty by GM anyway are more concerned with keeping their cars working.

No, I don't recommend any oil
additives. Use Mobil 1 5W30 as instructed by the owners manual.

Last edited by SteveRiellyNZ; 06-28-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:11 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
So did the OP.
thanks for posting that.

what was the point of Jason's reply..........

i am confused too.....

considering his knowledge base I think it might have been prudent for Jason to remain quiet on this string. The comment about no guide wear is appreciated......... but now we want more......... and Katech's relationship with the general won't permit it.........
Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 66L72
thanks for posting that.

what was the point of Jason's reply..........

i am confused too.....

considering his knowledge base I think it might have been prudent for Jason to remain quiet on this string. The comment about no guide wear is appreciated......... but now we want more......... and Katech's relationship with the general won't permit it.........
Or maybe it will. Give him a chance to either run from what he started or man up and finish it. I have not see any limp-wristed moves from Jason myself, so give the man a chance to actually reply.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
Heres my story and tale of woe......
............so what am I doing wrong.
Nothing, your not doing anything wrong at all. Thats the point of this thread really....its a fault with the GM parts in use, and ducking for cover than standing up and fixing the problem.

Many of the 'reasons' you've mentioned above are complete rubbish, which you well realize.

I'm sure if you drove the car hard, with redline shifts you would be accused of driving too hard...instead of currently not driving hard enough.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:00 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

You know I don't know what to think....is this an isolated issue found in modded or tracked cars with aftermarket cams like Jason is suggesting (increased load) or is it a heat and lubrication issue like the op is suggesting (a defect in the ls7)? Basicaly from what I can discern from Jasons concise but short comments is that the op is responsible for his own misfortune and if he did nothing more than just track his car, it's just a one off defect in his particular engine. While I wish that were the case, that explanation leave too many unanswered questions for me to be satisfied. Jason what if the car has a stock camshaft...but has guide wear?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Subscribed, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but is more prone to happen in certain year Z06s? Are the newer ones STILL having this problem?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

I think that you will find there are many on this forum and thread that have stock cars, never been tracked, and having these exact issues.

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
You know I don't know what to think....is this an isolated issue found in modded or tracked cars with aftermarket cams like Jason is suggesting (increased load) or is it a heat and lubrication issue like the op is suggesting (a defect in the ls7)? Basicaly from what I can discern from Jasons concise but short comments is that the op is responsible for his own misfortune and if he did nothing more than just track his car, it's just a one off defect in his particular engine. While I wish that were the case, that explanation leave too many unanswered questions for me to be satisfied. Jason what if the car has a stock camshaft...but has guide wear?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

No, I don't recommend any oil additives. Use Mobil 1 5W30 as instructed by the owners manual.
Interesting, a year ago we talked about the stage two Cam from GM performance for street use, and it having a lower lift than the stock one. Maybe the guild issue was of concern and dealt with by using less lift with broader duration.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Could the oiling problem on high g left turns have anything to do with this or be a contributing factor? I think GM did some stuff to 09's and higher (I think when the oil capacity was increased is when the issue was addressed...not sure if that was 09).
Old 06-28-2011, 07:29 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by XTRME 94
Subscribed, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but is more prone to happen in certain year Z06s? Are the newer ones STILL having this problem?
From what I am reading, 2007 models have more issues than any others.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Bingo.

but see now, that makes too much sense.
Way too much.

Get notified of new replies

To Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....

Old 06-28-2011, 09:21 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperX
From what I am reading, 2007 models have more issues than any others.
Just trying to figure out which used ones I "might" want to avoid.

I think when the oil capacity was increased is when the issue was addressed...not sure if that was 09
I believe that is correct as well, but hopefully someone that "knows for sure" will chime in.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 PM
My07C6
Racer

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I believe that I was the one to mention "brand new" in my post. I don't know that hoefi ever did.

But when I said "new" I meant right off the showroom floor. Or a brand new crate motor, or just a brand new set of stock heads.

Perhaps someone has pulled the heads from a brand new Z06 or crate motor by now during other modifications, but perhaps until now, no one would have ever considered or thought to go so far as to then measure the valve guides.

But the fact is as 40YRW8 mentions, it's hard to talk about excessive "wear" without knowing where you started from in the first place.

It will be hard to find the "cause" until you are sure where you started from.
I had the left head replaced on my '09 z06 at 321 miles in sept '08 due to a sticky valve. They sent the head back to GM and a GM engineer called me a couple weeks later. The engineer said they could not find any problems with the head, everything was in spec and wanted to know more about the problem. The problem was it was throwing misfires on cylinder 1. The dealership swaped the spark plugs, wires, coils, and lifters but it would still throw misfire codes on cyl 1 until they replaced the head.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 PM
naradz06
Instructor

This all really pisses me off. The minute I pick up a used cammed 07 with 7K miles on it, (now have almost 10K), I can't even drive to work without thinking that my car is gonna drop a valve now. Build date was 7/06 for an 07 model year. Now I gotta go spend another 4K on heads and rockers. So do I think that there is a greater than 1 in 4 chance that my engine will blow say before 100K miles? If so, I need to spend the money. 1 in 4 seems high, right?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....