Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Motor let go

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
They are a single beehive, but they are not stock.
OK, my mistake. I assumed they were a GMPP spring.

Last edited by Everett Ogilvie; 11-07-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrote to Lynn Herron at the GM Bowling Green plant today. He is the customer contact manager. I explained to him that there was a discussion on the corvette forum regarding the LS7 valve train, dropped valves and premature valve guide wear. I sent him some links and the image from Hoefi, hopefully no one will get pissed that I used it, but it was posted here so I figured it was fair game. I indicated that there were some 40 cases of engine failures about half of which were due to valve failure.

QUOTE=hoefi;1579152026

QUOTE]

Here is the response for what it is worth. Note in the first paragraph he states "Current warranty information does not indicate anything near the failure rate you are describing."

"Dear Mr. Childs,

Here at the Bowling Green Assembly, we care and are always interested in what our customers have to say regarding feedback. However, when it comes to true concerns a customer such as yourself may have, we specifically state our "Customer Assistance" procedure in all Owner Manuals. This procedure asks that you give your dealership the first opportunity to address and hopefully satisfy any concerns you have with any of your GM vehicles. If you do have an issue, it will go into our warranty system and we closely monitor the warranty system to see if there is a trend with a particular part problem and react accordingly through the appropriate channels. Current warranty information does not indicate anything near the failure rate you are describing. If the dealership is unable to assist you, we then direct you in your Owner Manual to contact our Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center to get your concerns formally documented and they will follow-up as necessary to resolve any issues. This entire procedure is in compliance with the TREAD Act of 2000.

If customers are posting issues they are having or issues they may be experiencing on website forums instead of using the appropriate aforementioned procedure, then concerns such as yours may never surface. There are issues discussed in length on forum websites that never get reported to the dealerships and we never see evidence in warranty. There are also issues discussed on said forums but some owners may not be including the modifications or after market parts (i.e. modified with camshafts, different calibrations, different air intake systems) they have added to their Corvettes that contributed to issues they have experienced.

You also asked in your previous email for me to give you "GM's position" on this issue. ("I am asking if it is gm's position that there is no issue with the LS7 valve train?") Neither I, nor anyone else at the Bowling Green Assembly plant, can state GM's position on any potential product issues. That is always communicated at the dealership level or via a letter to the owner from the applicable division. They will tell you if there is a customer campaign or recall associated with your Corvette's VIN. The dealership's service department can tell you as well what will and will not be covered under warranty.

Please know that we value you and all of our Corvette owners. We also address any true concerns brought to our attention via our dealerships, warranty, customer surveys, or Chevrolet Customer Assistance. We stand behind our products and want all of our customers to have the best possible experience with each and every vehicle we make.

I hope this reply will give you a little more comfort in knowing we are interested.

Sincerely,

Lynn Herron
Customer Contact Manager
Tour Manager
ISO Lead
600 Corvette Dr., Bowling Green, KY 42101
lynn.herron@gm.com"
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Surely that is some PR feel good crap
Old 11-07-2011, 07:52 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I sent this to Lynn Heron:

Please read below, as it makes me chuckle. The LS7 has a know problem, and hiding behind a "feel good" email like that is a joke.

My engine, like many others dropped a valve, and destroyed itself. I was out of warranty by time, but only at 26000 miles. My local dealer attempted to extend a "goodwill warranty", but it was stopped short by their Area Service Manager. Adding insult to injury, the service manger of the local dealer let me know that the ASM would NOT speak to me.

Nice to know that "Please know that we value you and all of our Corvette owners"

BTW, my now 28,500 mile garage kept Corvette Z06 has experienced the following failures:
HUD unit bouncing
Fuel door latch wouldn't latch anymore
Head light lenses crazed cracked etc (1200.00 each BTW)
Clutch master cylinder failed again
I could go on but why..

Anthony Trabon
Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by hoefi
Yes, I am saying guide wear happens first, then the exhaust valve breaks. Jimman and his "experts" from SEMA are saying valve gets hit by piston, bends the stem and the guide wear comes after that.

With the LS7 set up (stock), the intake valves will float first before the exhaust. If a missed shift takes place, the probability of an intake valve getting damaged is much higher than the exhaust getting hit. The frequency of exhaust valve failure reported here does not correspond to the missed shift theory.
Valve weitht is part of the equasion, but lobe design also plays a big role intot it. Concidering lobes can be different from intake to exh, an exh valve could float sooner than an intake.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
What you don't think the driver can screw up on the street.
I would tend to believe that it is the street guy screwing around that may be more prone to the scenario presented.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 PM
ConverttoVette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys have me worried. My 2010 Z06 has 12,000 miles accumulated at Spring Mountain; nope, didn't know. Anyway, what do I need to do to be pro-active, and how much will it cost?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like another one.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...g-failure.html

2009 this time. Valve spring went.

Originally Posted by Alchemist31
On Thursday, November 3rd, as I was driving my 09 Cybergray Z06 at about 50 mph, the service active handling and service traction control messages started alternating. Since I was less than 1/2 mile from work, I slowed down and continued on. Could hear some clicking noise, which I thought might from the active handling/ traction control units. After I parked, I tried to restart it but only heard the starter turning. Called the local Chevrolet dealer (Champion in Austin) that I use for oil changes and my service advisor, Patrick, told me to have it flatbedded in. He called me when the Z06 arrived and said that there was a major issue with the engine.They needed to take the engine apart to identify the problem. He called me this morning (November 7th) and told me that the engine was apart and that the valve spring on cylinder #1 had broken and caused major issues. There were metal pieces inside the engine. I went over to look at the engine and took several pictures. Later this afternoon, he called me and told me that GM was replacing the engine with a new one and it should arrive later this week. The Z06 had only 6700 miles on it and was never abused or tracked. I must say that I am impressed by the quick resolution of how this was handled. I managed to take several pictures and will try to post them as soon as I can figure out how to do that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35027124@N00/I added link to flickr for some pictures that I took

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-07-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Does anyone know the weight on a SS valve? Also how much spring pressure would be needed to offset the weight
Old 11-08-2011, 08:50 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Does anyone know the weight on a SS valve? Also how much spring pressure would be needed to offset the weight
I believe the lightest SS ex valve you're gunna find is the Ferrea which is roughly 20% heavier (ie. 15gr).

I can't comment on how much more valve spring you'd need to control that extra weight.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
I sent this to Lynn Heron:

Please read below, as it makes me chuckle. The LS7 has a know problem, and hiding behind a "feel good" email like that is a joke.

My engine, like many others dropped a valve, and destroyed itself. I was out of warranty by time, but only at 26000 miles. My local dealer attempted to extend a "goodwill warranty", but it was stopped short by their Area Service Manager. Adding insult to injury, the service manger of the local dealer let me know that the ASM would NOT speak to me.

Nice to know that "Please know that we value you and all of our Corvette owners"

BTW, my now 28,500 mile garage kept Corvette Z06 has experienced the following failures:
HUD unit bouncing
Fuel door latch wouldn't latch anymore
Head light lenses crazed cracked etc (1200.00 each BTW)
Clutch master cylinder failed again
I could go on but why..

Anthony Trabon
They value you as long as they have your money. Simple as that.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,991 Likes on 5,361 Posts

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
Surely that is some PR feel good crap
Why is that feel good crap? It is all that she could do. At her level she doesn't have the authority to speak for GM or Chevrolet even though as a low level manager some lawyer could construe that as having authority. She did state the truth, GM has a process to feedback data from the field so they can take corrective action on product defects that reach the field. They take the process seriously and aggressively work the issues that are identified in the process. She said use the process if you want to communicate a problem. It is the answer you would get from any business or government and the only one possible until they have concluded the process.

What if you were the person who received that letter? How would you have responded? Would you have said we are actively looking into it and will let you know even though in your position as Tour Manager you probably have no idea what a valve is. I can just imagine how your boss would react to such a letter being sent out.

When these kinds of letters are sent out they have to be sent to the top person in the company and have lots of supporting data included. That person can speak for the company and has the authority to say to somebody else, "Check into this and let me know what is going on."

Bill
Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why is that feel good crap? It is all that she could do. At her level she doesn't have the authority to speak for GM or Chevrolet even though as a low level manager some lawyer could construe that as having authority. She did state the truth, GM has a process to feedback data from the field so they can take corrective action on product defects that reach the field. They take the process seriously and aggressively work the issues that are identified in the process. She said use the process if you want to communicate a problem. It is the answer you would get from any business or government and the only one possible until they have concluded the process.

What if you were the person who received that letter? How would you have responded? Would you have said we are actively looking into it and will let you know even though in your position as Tour Manager you probably have no idea what a valve is. I can just imagine how your boss would react to such a letter being sent out.

When these kinds of letters are sent out they have to be sent to the top person in the company and have lots of supporting data included. That person can speak for the company and has the authority to say to somebody else, "Check into this and let me know what is going on."

Bill
I agree, but you have to start somewhere. I sent that out to see what the response would be. If I knew someone further up the chain I would be happy to send them a request as well.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,991 Likes on 5,361 Posts

Originally Posted by achilds
I agree, but you have to start somewhere. I sent that out to see what the response would be. If I knew someone further up the chain I would be happy to send them a request as well.
As I said, start at the top. That means the President and Chief Executive Officer. The information to contact him is readily available. Over the last 30 years I wrote two letters to the President of GM concerning troubles I was having with a vehicle. Both times I was contacted within two weeks of the time I think they received the letter and it made its way from the mail room to his staff. Both times I had satisfactory conclusions to the problems I was having. The first letter went to Roger Smith who may be the guy that caused a lot of GM's problems but they handled it well and I had a positive result.

Bill
Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Somebody is baaaaaaack:

I beat the **** out of her as I left the dealer and drove about 10 miles when I started to hear a whine on decel when in gear. Took it back to the dealer and it was due to transmission fluid being rather low. Not sure if the tech forgot or there was a air pocket get didn't fill in the new cooler. All is good so far. It still shifts fine and no noise now. Car seems quick and healthy.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

CONGRATS, great news, and pretty quick turn around time once your brand spanking new LS7 engine was approved!

Enjoy her in good health my friend!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:01 PM
MtnBiker09Z
Instructor

Congrats on being back. Love that color...but in original post it looked like a red fender I saw in the picture?

Get notified of new replies

To Motor let go

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MtnBiker09Z
Congrats on being back. Love that color...but in original post it looked like a red fender I saw in the picture?
Car was covered in tape for a track day
Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
John_P
Instructor

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Somebody is baaaaaaack:

I beat the **** out of her as I left the dealer and drove about 10 miles when I started to hear a whine on decel when in gear. Took it back to the dealer and it was due to transmission fluid being rather low. Not sure if the tech forgot or there was a air pocket get didn't fill in the new cooler. All is good so far. It still shifts fine and no noise now. Car seems quick and healthy.
----------------------------------
Welcome back Sir! Glad to see you have your Z06 up and running again! Very glad to hear that low fluid ddn't cause you any problems!

--------
John_P
Old 11-18-2011, 08:17 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

YEAH BUDDY!!! glad you're back up and running, go break that sucker in!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Motor let go