Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] '09 Z06 vs '12 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:54 AM
BenDiem
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default '09 Z06 vs '12 Z06

Greetings all,

I had the opportunity to enjoy my new '12 Z06 over the Christmas Holidays.

I thought I would share with you my initial (brief weekend ownership) impressions/opinions/observations concerning the two models, listed supra.

My '09 Z06 was a true delight. My only complaint/gripe was that I felt the clutch engagement was too abrupt. It glazed easily, too. My only other small complaint was that I was not fond of the GM chicklets. Not a big deal at all. I just felt that they were not needed on a Corvette.

My '12 Z06 is a true gem. I probably like it better, b/c I ordered the car to my own specs. You acquire a greater appreciation/fondness for a special ordered car.

For the purpose of keeping it real, I report the following perceived facts:

1. I appreciate the new '12 steering wheel, with the Z06 insignia in the center, unlike my old '09 that had the Corvette Flag in the center of the steering wheel. I also like the two thumb impressions at the 10 & 2 positions. However, the steering wheel is still too large and too thin for my taste. I prefer the BMW M3 or the MB C63 AMG steering wheels over our Z06s.

2. I appreciate the new look of the new seats, especially the shoulder side bolsters; However, I must confess, the new seats are no more than a 10%-12% improvement over the pre-'12 MY seats. The foam on the seating surface is a slim/marginal improvement. Frankly, I can't tell much of a difference. Sorry...

3. My '09 Zed had the H-pipe, but the post '09 Zeds have the X-pipe. I think the H-pipe cars at idle, sound like a power boat (fuse removed in both cases!), and they have more of a drone than the newer X-pipe Zeds. The X-pipe Zeds are not as loud at idle, and they are quiter with less drone at speed over the H-pipe Zeds. In comparison, I prefer the X-pipe sound (refined brute) to the H-pipe sound (motorboat/truckish). I especially like the sound of the crackle and pops when shifting gears in the new Zed... It sounds a bit NASCARish, but not quite as much low end bass as the older Zeds...

4. I believe the '12's clutch engages much easier than my old '09. I especially noticed it when driving it off of the dealer lot.

Dollar for dollar, the Z06 is the ultimate sports car. There, I said it.

In conclusion, I'm over the moon that I ordered a new Zed. I love it!

Happy New Year to you all!

Best,

B
Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't think they've changed the clutch or hydraulic slave between the two models.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

congrats on your new '12 Z06 !

and, I'm sure the '09 will find its way to a good home
Old 12-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
I don't think they've changed the clutch or hydraulic slave between the two models.
Just like some people have trouble with the trans and others don't - could be car to car variations (hard to extrapolate much with a study population of 1).
Old 12-29-2011, 12:25 PM
BenDiem
Racer

^^^ I didn't mean to imply that at all... You may recall, GM had a service notice of some sort concerning the clutch glazing for the '09 MY. My '09's clutch was far from smooth. I changed the clutch fluid @ 700 miles and the clutch showed a lil improvement. I didn't keep the car long, in fact, I traded it in on a new car shortly after the clutch fluid change, lol...

Cars w/in their MY have their own unique quirks. My '09 was not smooth in the clutch dept. I get it though, lol...

I mentioned the clutch improvement b/c I immediately noticed a profound improvement in my clutch engagement with my new '12 Zed. It was a significant improvement in my eyes...

Cheers,

B
Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 PM
BenDiem
Racer

Originally Posted by Random84
Just like some people have trouble with the trans and others don't - could be car to car variations (hard to extrapolate much with a study population of 1).
Bingo!!!

GL w/your hunt!

Cheers,

BB
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,544 Likes on 2,619 Posts

My 09Z (7/08 build) clutch feel and takeup are very smooth. I haven't been to the drag strip. I have 11 passes at the Mojave Mile, but that is not an all-out 1st gear start, although good take-off.

The harness bar and 5-point harness take care of the seat issue on road circuits.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks for the comparison. Chevy should have went with a twin disk on the Z. I love my LS9R compared to stock.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:00 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
^^^ I didn't mean to imply that at all... You may recall, GM had a service notice of some sort concerning the clutch glazing for the '09 MY. My '09's clutch was far from smooth. I changed the clutch fluid @ 700 miles and the clutch showed a lil improvement. I didn't keep the car long, in fact, I traded it in on a new car shortly after the clutch fluid change, lol...

Cars w/in their MY have their own unique quirks. My '09 was not smooth in the clutch dept. I get it though, lol...

I mentioned the clutch improvement b/c I immediately noticed a profound improvement in my clutch engagement with my new '12 Zed. It was a significant improvement in my eyes...

Cheers,

B
I have a 09' and no issues. This is the first I've heard of some sort of service advisement. Glazing is overheating the clutch disc so that it no longer has the same grip. This is caused by excessive slipping. Do you have any other details?

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 12-29-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I have a 09' and no issues. This is the first I've heard of some sort service advisement. Glazing is overheating the clutch disc so that it no longer as the same grip. This is caused by excessive slipping. Do you have any other details?
Same here. I don't have a problem with my 09(06/08 build) clutch. I do change out the fluid a couple of times a year. I wonder if GM might have made changes the seal design/mat'l to keep the crap(clutch dust?) out of the fluid, on the 2012's
Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM
BenDiem
Racer

I have a 09' and no issues. This is the first I've heard of some sort service advisement. Glazing is overheating the clutch disc so that it no longer as the same grip. This is caused by excessive slipping. Do you have any other details?
^^^ I read the service advisory/post on this forum, sometime in 2009. A CF search should bring it up...

B
Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Same here. I don't have a problem with my 09(06/08 build) clutch. I do change out the fluid a couple of times a year. I wonder if GM might have made changes the seal design/mat'l to keep the crap(clutch dust?) out of the fluid, on the 2012's
I have no clutch issues on my 09; the clutch engages quite smoothly once you get used to driving the car.

My friend has a 2012 and the clutch fluid still gets dirty rather quickly.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

It is exactly the same clutch on the 2012 as in previous years. The clutch feel on a brand new car is different until you get a few miles on it. I suspect that you will find that out as you drive it. It is also possible that your previous car was not setup properly from the factory. I could not determine if your previous car was new or used. It it was used it is possible the previous owner caused some problems.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 PM
abstruse1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the rather abrupt clutch engagement. My other hand stirrer is a Shelby GT500 and it engages over a wider range, making it easier to ease off from stopped. I've thought about changing the master cylinder to one with a smaller piston...but there's always too much stuff to do.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 480 Likes on 281 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

I too have a new 2012 Z06 that I have driven about 600 miles. The only thing that I can add to this discussion is that from the day I brought it home I had a burning clutch smell when the clutch was let out under minimal throttle ie. backing out of the garage ect. It has gotten better and is almost to the point of being completely gone. I know of one other 2012 Z06 owner (bass mechanic) who had a similar experience. I bought my 2007 brand new and did not experience any clutch issues.

I wish I could give a comparison between my 07 and my new Z, but it has been 3 years since I sold the 07 and I have been in a Hummer since so saying it feels faster/better than the 07 is probably the biggest understatement in the history of understatements.

I did love my Hummer tho!

Congrats on the new Z Ben... She is a beauty!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Good luck with your new 2012 Z. I'm hanging on to my '09 for a while. Still very happy with it. Just ordered some new shoes for it in fact!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
It is exactly the same clutch on the 2012 as in previous years. The clutch feel on a brand new car is different until you get a few miles on it. I suspect that you will find that out as you drive it. It is also possible that your previous car was not setup properly from the factory. I could not determine if your previous car was new or used. It it was used it is possible the previous owner caused some problems.
I think you mis-read my post. I don't have any problems with the clutch in my 09 Z06 that I purchased new, and now has some 16,000 miles. I wasn't referring to a clutch design change but the seal on the slave cylinder, that gets clutch disc crap into the hydraulic fluid. From what I understand, most problems with the clutch operation is from dirty hydraulic fluid.

Get notified of new replies

To '09 Z06 vs '12 Z06

Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Ben, thanks for the write-up. I considered trading to a '12 to get some of the new features, especially so I could get the F55 suspension. But after pondering it, I decided I'll probably add another motorcycle to my growing collection instead. But it sure is tempting when I read about folks upgrading to the latest and greatest.

Congrats again
Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Z06 RB
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
I too have a new 2012 Z06 that I have driven about 600 miles. The only thing that I can add to this discussion is that from the day I brought it home I had a burning clutch smell when the clutch was let out under minimal throttle ie. backing out of the garage ect. It has gotten better and is almost to the point of being completely gone. I know of one other 2012 Z06 owner (bass mechanic) who had a similar experience. I bought my 2007 brand new and did not experience any clutch issues.

I wish I could give a comparison between my 07 and my new Z, but it has been 3 years since I sold the 07 and I have been in a Hummer since so saying it feels faster/better than the 07 is probably the biggest understatement in the history of understatements.

I did love my Hummer tho!

Congrats on the new Z Ben... She is a beauty!
I know what you mean, I have an 08 Z and an 09 H2 and love driving both of them.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I think you mis-read my post. I don't have any problems with the clutch in my 09 Z06 that I purchased new, and now has some 16,000 miles. I wasn't referring to a clutch design change but the seal on the slave cylinder, that gets clutch disc crap into the hydraulic fluid. From what I understand, most problems with the clutch operation is from dirty hydraulic fluid.
Actually I was referring to the original posters 2009 not yours.

Quick Reply: [Z06] '09 Z06 vs '12 Z06