Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dealer valve guide inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
I would do it yourself if you are concerned and pay a little more to have the valveguides done and the heads freshened. I wouldn't trust a dealer to do anything more than replace a fuse.
I've reached a point where I pretty much throw the warranty out the window the day I buy a vehicle now...my new rule is small warranty work of a few hundred dollars worth of parts or less I just pay for the parts and install them myself. My shifter was bad in my 09, no way was I risking them touching the car just for that. If the engine was bad I might let them touch the car because of the amount of money we are talking about, but even then probably not. Recently, my 8 day old GMC Sierra was in for warranty due to a coolant leak and was dropped of the service bay hoist by the dealer which damaged the frame and body on my truck. They can't even be trusted to lift a vehicle properly, so would I let them tear into my motor? Not no. Hell no.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
I do have a brand new Z06 and I intend to do this end of every summer. If there is no wear, fine, I will have spent a grand to refresh my confidence in my car. If there is some, then it will be taken care of, and I won't even have to pay the inspection cost.
This makes what sense? You have 5 year warranty for a reason!!!!

Drive the living day lights out of that car for 4.9 years lol and then inspect it. If you find an issue GM fixes it under warranty.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Mookster
This makes what sense? You have 5 year warranty for a reason!!!!

Drive the living day lights out of that car for 4.9 years lol and then inspect it. If you find an issue GM fixes it under warranty.
so long as he has access to a reputable dealer that knows what they are doing IF something happens I agree.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
so long as he has access to a reputable dealer that knows what they are doing IF something happens I agree.
Few and far between I am afraid since to GM it is just a Chevy. They should do like Dodge did with the Viper and spin it off to a separate entity. In that manner only qualified techs would be able to touch these cars since thats all they would be touching.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

One of the Forum sponsors, Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA is the place to have your car checked out. I trust the people there without question. If I leave my car there overnight, I can sleep well. Can't say that for most dealers.

If you brought your car down from up North, you could have a very scenic ride and sample some of the world class wines of Sonoma and the Napa valley.

After my extended warranty runs out my car will be in their shop in a heartbeat.

RichieRichZ06 (Forum member) would be your contact.

the best whatever you do, 2k

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dealer valve guide inspection