Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 on tow truck tonight please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 PM
iNeedSpeed
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Z06 on tow truck tonight please help

Turned out to be something else completely unrelated. Still don't have a solution but thanks anyway guys

Last edited by iNeedSpeed; 03-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

should have stopped when the car got to the high 230's if not at 240....

that being said it ain't gonna be pretty.....

where are you located? so someone can tell you where to go so you don't get more screwed than you are now

dealer responsible? I doubt they gave you a warranty with a heads and cam car
Old 03-04-2013, 09:34 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably have a breeched headgasket (or both) after coolant temps that high. Especially if you checked coolant and there was OIL in it. Was there really oil in it or a mistype?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Blown headgasket or two.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

you may have recourse under state law, but you need to get some advice, and quickly...
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

wonder what's going on to have caused it?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to hear about your new Z. Not sure stopping when it hit the 230's would have saved much of anything.
Definitely appears to be a blown head gasket. Being a tuned HCI car...engine likely saw a fair amount of detonation, and popped a gasket.

Hopefully it did not hydrolock, and the cylinder liners are intact. Then you are looking at a much more reasonable repair bill, somewhere around $1.5-2.5k pending what parts are needed. IF the guides have not been addressed, now would be the time to ensure they are.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any used car with mods is a crap shoot. I learned the hard way when I was younger. Good luck to you, hope it is just a gasket and nothing is warped or broken.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree might as well do WCCH stage 2 upgrade while you have the heads off for gaskets.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People will say talk to the dealer first, but we know what they're going to say.

It may be worth talking to a lawyer (or at the least reading the fine print on your contract and googling your state's consumer protection laws), but if the dealer disclosed the heads/cam/no warranty in writing and you signed it for the purchase, I'm guessing you're going to learn about buying used, modified cars the unpleasantly hard way.

Sorry man.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by iNeedSpeed
On friday March 1st I bought my dream car. It is a Lemans Blue 2006 z06 with 24k miles on it with a cam, decked head, and other goodies. Long story short I drove it for 400 miles with no problems until tonight.

2 miles after leaving the movie theater I noticed the coolant temps getting high...in the 230's. I called two of my friends who have owned corvettes and said they said they have read on this forum those temps an took their word for it. Then it went into the 240's for about 1 mile. I pulled over to see if my fan was on and it sure was. The restaurant I was going to eat at was only another mile away so I decided to drive it there. By the time I got there temps reached 253. I then ate dinner for 1 hour and when I went to turn my car on the motor turn over and shut of. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I didn't think much of it so I gave it some gas this time while trying to turn it over and that's when I noticed a huge plume of white smoke in the air and immediately shut the engine off. I checked the coolant reservoir and sure enough there is plenty of oil in there..got car towed home.

I anxious as hell. I don't know much about cars and am dearing the worst. What do you guys think. What should I do? I know I bought the car 'as is' but it has only been 3 days so should the dealer bear responsibility? How bad could I have ****ed things up and how likely is it that its bad? I'm all ears.
I be getting some legal advice
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,989 Likes on 5,360 Posts

I doubt the 253 temp caused any issue. Sounds like a head gasket took a dump. That can happen at any time and it is obvious it was fine when you first bought the car. It isn't something that can be hidden. However, if the car has a tendency to pop head gaskets on a fairly regular basis (my wife's VW Rabbit Diesel used to pop the head gasket every two years) you may have a case against the person who sold you the car. However, in most cases it is buyer beware especially with modded cars and an as is deal.

Bill
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I doubt the 253 temp caused any issue. Sounds like a head gasket took a dump. That can happen at any time and it is obvious it was fine when you first bought the car. It isn't something that can be hidden. However, if the car has a tendency to pop head gaskets on a fairly regular basis (my wife's VW Rabbit Diesel used to pop the head gasket every two years) you may have a case against the person who sold you the car. However, in most cases it is buyer beware especially with modded cars and an as is deal.

Bill
Sorry to hear this man, that is a real bummer.

On the positive side now you can save up to build it bigger and badder (and more reliable).

Doesn't hurt to consult an Attorney just to triple checks all your potential rights. Best of luck!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,116 Posts

In what state are you located? If it has only been 2 business days, you may still have recourse with the dealer. In Texas, I believe you have three days. Good luck. Sorry about your misfortune.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Warped head, probably. Check for flatness when you pull them.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Sounds like the person who sold it to the dealer got a good deal. As said before, when you buy a modded car, you are often buying someone elses problem. Hope all works out.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 AM
seung012
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please READ

IMO, you are in the clear and you need to talk to the dealership and a lawyer.

You purchased the car 4 days ago and put 400 miles. The good thing is, USUALLY (i could be wrong for certain states so you need to check your state law) every dealer whether big or small has to follow the "Lemon Law"

"law requires dealers to provide warranties on all used cars sold for more than $ 1,500 and with less than 100,000 miles. If the vehicle had less than 36,000 miles when sold, the warranty must last 90 days or 4,000 miles. The warranty must provide coverage for certain specified components like the engine and transmission. All states provide a time or mileage minimum for warranties, whichever occurs first." This is for New York.

Don't wait on the situation.... have a trustworthy shop or the dealer (if its a GM Chevrolet dealer) take a look and get a diagnosis.

I had a similar situation with my E60 M5... destoryed the heads at 20,xxx miles after 6 months of driving. I fought it and won and they ended up paying 24K to fix it.

If you have any questions, PM me and I can help you.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 on tow truck tonight please help

Old 03-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Did the dealer at least give you a 30 day warranty or 10 day option of returning it????
Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 AM
big red supra
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seung012
Please READ

IMO, you are in the clear and you need to talk to the dealership and a lawyer.

You purchased the car 4 days ago and put 400 miles. The good thing is, USUALLY (i could be wrong for certain states so you need to check your state law) every dealer whether big or small has to follow the "Lemon Law"

"law requires dealers to provide warranties on all used cars sold for more than $ 1,500 and with less than 100,000 miles. If the vehicle had less than 36,000 miles when sold, the warranty must last 90 days or 4,000 miles. The warranty must provide coverage for certain specified components like the engine and transmission. All states provide a time or mileage minimum for warranties, whichever occurs first." This is for New York.

Don't wait on the situation.... have a trustworthy shop or the dealer (if its a GM Chevrolet dealer) take a look and get a diagnosis.

I had a similar situation with my E60 M5... destoryed the heads at 20,xxx miles after 6 months of driving. I fought it and won and they ended up paying 24K to fix it.

If you have any questions, PM me and I can help you.
Lee,

That all depends on if the vehicle is sold as-is or with a warranty, if the vehicle is sold w/a warranty and this claim happens within that period then sure, he's fine to a certain extent depending on the terms of the warranty, if the vehicle is sold as-is where a federal disclosure is signed by purchaser at the time of sale, then the dealer is no long liable, unless of course they do something in good faith. New car sales are different then used car sales when it comes to a warranty and a warranty that is transferred which is still valid when traded-in and still valid within a mileage/date period.

-Val (dealer)

Last edited by big red supra; 03-05-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by big red supra
Lee,

That all depends on if the vehicle is sold as-is or with a warranty, if the vehicle is sold w/a warranty and this claim happens within that period then sure, he's fine to a certain extent depending on the terms of the warranty, if the vehicle is sold as-is where a federal disclosure is signed by purchaser at the time of sale, then the dealer is no long liable, unless of course they do something in good faith. New car sales are different then used car sales when it comes to a warranty and a warranty that is transferred which is still valid when traded-in and still valid within a mileage/date period.

-Val (dealer)
he said he bought it AS IS in his post......

and since we don't know where he is yet......

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 on tow truck tonight please help