Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sound made when oil tank screen comes loose?he

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,993 Likes on 5,363 Posts

Default Sound made when oil tank screen comes loose?he

Was working on the car today reved engine in neutral to about 1500 rpm and started hearing an irregular popping sound coming from the dash. The noise was similar to what you hear when the water starts to boil in a tea pot. This is the first time I have heard the noise and was wondering if this is the noise people heard when the screen inside the oil tank came loose. Oil tank was taken apart and cleaned 4500 miles ago when the engine was replaced.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Somebody must remember what this sounded like? It's only been 3 or 4 years.

Bill
Old 03-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Somebody must remember what this sounded like? It's only been 3 or 4 years.

Bill
Should be easy to isolate and hear with someone else revving car for you. Keep us posted.

DH
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

hey bill, i remember mine. it came loose early on my car. it was kinda like marbles in can. i also just asked my wife, cause it used to drive her nuts as well and she agreed on the type of noise. hope this helps. in this case maybe they left the o-ring out, or it got lost when it was apart. easy and pretty much a free repair as you already know.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Thrust_s4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the video I posted in my thread about the same rattle. This rattle was, in fact, the o ring.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nk-rattle.html
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Thrust_s4
Check out the video I posted in my thread about the same rattle. This rattle was, in fact, the o ring.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nk-rattle.html
That sure sounds like it. I need to get that taken care of before I head out to Sebring. Don't want to put 3500 miles on the car with it doing that.

Bill
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Oil tank tube is loose. Confirmed today. Can actually feel it rattling around inside the dry sump.

Cost $287 to fix. GMPP doesn't cover the repair.

Bill
Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Thrust_s4
Intermediate

Oil tank tube is loose. Confirmed today. Can actually feel it rattling around inside the dry sump.

Cost $287 to fix. GMPP doesn't cover the repair.

Bill
I fixed mine myself. The dealer offered to do it no charge, but it was too inconvenient to take it and wait for them to diagnosis, return for repair, etc.

You can do it in ~4 hours, no problem.

Why does GMPP not cover it? Do you have Major Guard?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I fixed mine myself. The dealer offered to do it no charge, but it was too inconvenient to take it and wait for them to diagnosis, return for repair, etc.

You can do it in ~4 hours, no problem.

Why does GMPP not cover it? Do you have Major Guard?
Yep, I have Major Guard no deductible. Service Writer said he was surprised they didn't cover it either. However, they entered the labor code and the system came back with the definition of the repair and stated it wasn't covered.

Bill
Old 03-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Thrust_s4
Intermediate

Yep, I have Major Guard no deductible. Service Writer said he was surprised they didn't cover it either. However, they entered the labor code and the system came back with the definition of the repair and stated it wasn't covered.

Bill
That's surprising. Are you going to push the issue? I also purchased Major Guard and by the exclusions listed on their paperwork, this is something that should be covered without question.

I haven't had to use GMPP yet, but this doesn't sit well.

At any rate, I'm glad you identified the issue.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

That's surprising. Are you going to push the issue? I also purchased Major Guard and by the exclusions listed on their paperwork, this is something that should be covered without question.

I haven't had to use GMPP yet, but this doesn't sit well.

At any rate, I'm glad you identified the issue.
I have used it several times and have received about half of my original $2500 investment back.

I just called GMPP and talked to their representative. He said sometimes dealers use a GM Labor code that gets denied but I should have them call the claims center and explain what is being repaired and it would probably be covered.

Bill
Old 03-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I have used it several times and have received about half of my original $2500 investment back.

I just called GMPP and talked to their representative. He said sometimes dealers use a GM Labor code that gets denied but I should have them call the claims center and explain what is being repaired and it would probably be covered.

Bill
Bill not only should it be covered. Your dealership should have gone the extra step and checked as this is obviously part of the motor and oiling system. On top of that isn't there a TSB on this !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't pay to have this fixed

DH
Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

yea there is a tsb on it from what i remember. ill check. besides that i remember having a discussion about the tube being loose and possibly causing the oil to foam up in the oil tank from aeration. i think its def. possible especially with the lower end issues zo6s were having during track days....somethjing to think about and yes def. fix it. bill im sure your capable of fixing this yourself or atleast know a buddy that can help. wish i were closer i would do it for you.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Service Writer used the labor code from the TSB and I saw the return message from GMPP. It was a correct description of the repair and said it wasn't covered. That was the discussion I had with the GMPP rep. He said that sometimes that the electronic process doesn't work correctly.

I thoroughly expected GMPP to pay for it and that still may happen. I really don't have the time and the place to do it myself as I plan on driving the car to Sebring two weeks from now. Have a bunch of other things to do before I leave. It is also difficult to work in a cramped 2 car garage, with bad lighting with the inside temperature running 40 degrees.

Bill
Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Just got back from picking up the car. Repair will be covered by GMPP. Service Writer called and the rep he talked to said it isn't covered so he said a Customer just said he talked to a rep and that person said it would be covered. Rep puts him on hold and after some time the rep comes back and gives the Service Writer a work around claims processing procedure to enter into the computer and the repair on my car is now covered. Part should be in tomorrow or Monday.

Bill
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Just got back from picking up the car. Repair will be covered by GMPP. Service Writer called and the rep he talked to said it isn't covered so he said a Customer just said he talked to a rep and that person said it would be covered. Rep puts him on hold and after some time the rep comes back and gives the Service Writer a work around claims processing procedure to enter into the computer and the repair on my car is now covered. Part should be in tomorrow or Monday.

Bill
Shouldn't have been an issue at all But knew it would ultimitley be covered for you

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Sound made when oil tank screen comes loose?he

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sound made when oil tank screen comes loose?he