Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Want to add USB/AUX ports to my C6Z... And another stereo receiver question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Chevyfanaddict
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Want to add USB/AUX ports to my C6Z... And another stereo receiver question

So is there a way to add a USB and AUX port to my 2008 Z06 so i can play my music off my iPhone 5? I have the factory NAV head unit so i would be nice to be able to control it via the touch screen

Also my second question is, my car originally came stock with the non-nav head unit but the previous owner installed a factory NAV and everything seems to work great EXCEPT the steering wheel volume controls dont work at all, anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-17-2014, 08:51 AM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can solve both problems by installing a late factory NAV unit with the factory USB. The real early NAV units did not support steering wheel controls which is what you currently have.

GMs PAL or other audio adapters may be an option for the Ipod but will not fix the steering controls.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 AM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't used the newer Navs, but honestly I would upgrade the head unit. You will get the latest tech installed in a classy way if you go to a good installer.

I upgraded to a newer Kenwood unit with garmin nav. It is incredible and a million times better than an OEM unit.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:38 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

There's a way to splice into the XM receiver... If you search, you should be able to find the link. Pretty simple if I remember... And been wanting to do it to mine.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Chevyfanaddict
Racer

Ok if i upgrade to a newer double din headunit will there be a way to make the steering wheel controls work with it?

LFZ, I think i was looking at the thread you are talking about where you can splice into the XM channel
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Call Double D Mods and they will hook you up. Their have great prices and can have a unit pre-wired for you. It will come ready for the Steering control, onstar, etc. They even give you detailed instructions on how to hook everything up.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by RoadRebel
You can solve both problems by installing a late factory NAV unit with the factory USB. The real early NAV units did not support steering wheel controls which is what you currently have.

GMs PAL or other audio adapters may be an option for the Ipod but will not fix the steering controls.

You can also add a PAL device which plugs into the XM reciever in the drivers side rear wheel well, interior portion....

Add: all other factory accessories will still function fine.

Last edited by tim414; 08-19-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:53 AM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadRebel

Do the late factory NAV units work on a 2007 Z06 while maintaining the other original functions?

Would I be controlling my iPod through the factory nav unit?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM
SmokinZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
There's a way to splice into the XM receiver... If you search, you should be able to find the link. Pretty simple if I remember... And been wanting to do it to mine.
I did this (on my 2006), it works pretty good, the input levels are a little wonky and at low volume I get ignition noise. Turn it up and its not noticeable.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 PM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyfanaddict
Ok if i upgrade to a newer double din headunit will there be a way to make the steering wheel controls work with it?

LFZ, I think i was looking at the thread you are talking about where you can splice into the XM channel
Yes, they can set up the steering controls to work. I can use the controls with my head unit.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I installed an Android head unit and a backup camera in my 2007 Z06 and documented it here. The steering wheel controls work.

Last edited by bjmsam; 08-19-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Chevyfanaddict
Racer

What setup is that bjmsam?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:13 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bjmsam
I installed an Android head unit and a backup camera in my 2007 Z06 and documented it here. The steering wheel controls work.
Awesome setup! I used the Torque app in my old car, and I was so close to installing a 7" tablet in the Vette, but I didn't want to chop anything up. How much would you say the entire setup cost you?

Do you use Torque through bluetooth or WiFi? If Bluetooth, then do you have any issues transferring phone calls to bluetooth?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bjmsam
$327 for the head unit
$106 for the interface
$33 for the camera
$12 for the trim kit
That's $478, but I sold my stock head unit for $414, so my total was $64.

The OBDLink MX is a Bluetooth ELM327 device and does not interfere with phone call transfers.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 PM
TnRZ06
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Im installing a pioneer nex 8000 in mine has all the bells and whistles and car play check that out on apples site if you like your Iphone at all you will like the stuff this does. This unit will take your maps over to Nav and you can zoom in and out by squeezing same as the phone.Going to load a flash drive (big one) to store big playlist and still use iphone for music as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to add USB/AUX ports to my C6Z... And another stereo receiver question

Quick Reply: [Z06] Want to add USB/AUX ports to my C6Z... And another stereo receiver question