Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Steering feel after alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:25 PM
loudblazer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering feel after alignment?

Got the Z06 aligned today at the dealer when I went it for a slow leak on a tire and they showed the alignment test was out of alignment camber wise. Immediately when leaving it felt like the steering wheel had more play in it and was more loose. Is it possible for the dealer to do something to change that or would the alignment make me feel like it's doing that? Could not find a Corvette thread about this but on Google found other car owners had similar posts to this. Was not pleased with the experience overall at the dealer as well. Wanted to check on here before asking them because I don't want to come off as "the guy that complains about everything"

thanks all
Old 12-09-2016, 08:40 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Definitely not normal......possibly something not tightened after alignment?

I have had many alignment settings changed for track usage over the years (lots of camber changes), but have never had the steering feel looser afterwards.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 PM
loudblazer
Advanced

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Definitely not normal......possibly something not tightened after alignment?

I have had many alignment settings changed for track usage over the years (lots of camber changes), but have never had the steering feel looser afterwards.
Thanks for your reply, I emailed the service guy. I've heard stories and been skeptical of dealers attention to detail and this adds to that. Multiple things I was not happy with and I may be picky but they need to
be better.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:27 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by loudblazer
Thanks for your reply, I emailed the service guy. I've heard stories and been skeptical of dealers attention to detail and this adds to that. Multiple things I was not happy with and I may be picky but they need to
be better.
Never be ashamed of being picky: you are the person spending your hard-earned money on service and if you are not satisfied, then ask them to either correct it or prove to you that you have nothing to worry about. Alignments are not complicated, so they should be able to explain it to your satisfaction.

I always ask the shops lots of questions before and after they work on my Z06 (sometimes I am able to get into the shop and observe).........nobody will care more than I about my baby!

Last edited by harrydirty; 12-09-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:38 PM
loudblazer
Advanced

Never be ashamed of being picky: you are the person spending your hard-earned money on service and if you are not satisfied, then ask them to either correct it or prove to you that you have nothing to worry about. Alignments are not complicated, so they should be able to explain it to your satisfaction.

I always ask the shops lots of questions before and after they work on my Z06 (sometimes I am able to get into the shop and observe).........nobody will care more than I about my baby!
well said! If I was the dealership owner I would want the service people to treat every car like they would/should a brand new C7 Z06. Shortcuts and lack of caring should not happen on any car because otherwise people might as well pay less at any ol' service shop. You go to a place that sells a $100k car you should not have to worry about little or big things not being taken care of properly.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:16 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

well said! If I was the dealership owner I would want the service people to treat every car like they would/should a brand new C7 Z06. Shortcuts and lack of caring should not happen on any car because otherwise people might as well pay less at any ol' service shop. You go to a place that sells a $100k car you should not have to worry about little or big things not being taken care of properly.
Agreed! Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Can you post before and after readings? "looser" is sort of a subjective term... reducing caster can lighten the steering and change the feel, as can a toe change.
Comparing the readings might shed some light there. It can also be an indication of the overall alignment quality, and show how much effort the tech put into it.
Standard flat rate $60.00 alignment: just get all the readings into the green and fly it down the road. "set the toe, and collect the dough"
Quality alignment: take the time to make them even side to side so the car actually goes straight down the road.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:01 PM
loudblazer
Advanced

They are going to credit me the alignment and take a look at it to see about the steering. May not be for a little while because I don't want to get it out in cold/bad weather. They do seem to want to make up for their mistakes/lack of quality service.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:10 PM
loudblazer
Advanced

Tried to get the pic right side up. Looks like it won't go right side up. I do regular street driving. When I take it back in to have it looked at I may mention why the readings are not exactly the same. Tried to find stock specs but was much harder to find exact specs than I expected. Camber seemed to be the only thing off and I sent a message to the previous owner to see what he thinks.

Thoughts for anybody? I appreciate all the help. Nice to have a car with a great dedicated forum following.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
alignment.pdf (333.6 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by loudblazer; 12-15-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:53 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone not happy with a GM dealership shop work? Shocking.

If you make it down to Dallas, Bobby Garrett Frame and Alignment is the cat's meow for alignment.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Tried to get the pic right side up. Looks like it won't go right side up. I do regular street driving. When I take it back in to have it looked at I may mention why the readings are not exactly the same. Tried to find stock specs but was much harder to find exact specs than I expected. Camber seemed to be the only thing off and I sent a message to the previous owner to see what he thinks.

Thoughts for anybody? I appreciate all the help. Nice to have a car with a great dedicated forum following.
You did go from a very aggressive front end alignment (one that would be appropriate for a full-on track car or even a race car) to a fairly conservative alignment. No doubt the front end feel will change to some degree.

As long as all the fasteners were tightened properly, including the jam nut for the tie rod ends, it may just be that you're not used to the way the car feels with a standard alignment.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:13 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Does not look that bad, was it an oversteer monster before?

You went from a bit of toe in to a bit of toe out on the front so yes the steering will feel lighter. Does it pull on the highway with those caster settings?

-2.7*&-2.9* on the front is more appropriate for track use with R compound tires than street, running -1.3* will wear much better on the street but will catch ruts a bit more due to profile.

If you get it re aligned, go with 1/2 tank of gas, and simulate drivers weight in seat. Shake out well after each adjustment, hard to get exact matches to stay as soft stock bushings move quite a bit so some averaging is needed.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:27 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Readings don't look bad. Still shows toe in at the F...
But shows a touch of toe out in the rear. Readings are still 'green' (in spec), but rear toe out can make for a lively driving experience. Perhaps that is what you describe as 'looseness'.
I wouldn't stress about the uneven caster readings. Uneven caster can create a pull, but I usually set it with a small spread like that to help with road crown. If the car drifts left with your hands off the wheel, maybe even that out a little.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering feel after alignment?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Steering feel after alignment?