Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] First Time SMOG'ing my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 05:46 PM
HaubeRR
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default First Time SMOG'ing my Z06

So I know in California you are supposed to let the seller SMOG the car before taking ownership.......well i didn't do this. I get to the SMOG station and the owner complimented the car and told me he use to have one. I thought awesome I should be in and out. I was wrong. He did the inspection under the hood and found that it had an aftermarket intake. I just moved to California 2 years ago and i did not bring any of my modified cars with me so i didn't realize how strict they are about after market parts. He informed me that the intake needed a sticker and if i could find the carb number he would pass me. I called air raid and they broke the bad news that my intake was not carb legal. By some miracle i had the stock intake in the back of the car so i was able to switch it out in the parking lot (which sucked btw). Does anyone have a carb legal intake for their c6 z06? Can someone pm me if they know where to buy a sticker that will work?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:42 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Don't know of any CARB EO air intakes for the C6Z off the top of my head. As far as I know, even the K&N intake doesn't have one...and they are typically a go-to for CARB EO intakes. Pretty sure the Callaway Honker isn't either...it was on the C5's, but I don't think they pursued it for the C6's. Just swap it out for the stock one every two years...not a big deal.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:02 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 688 Posts

I had to get the inspection done on my Z when I bought it. The dealer had just replaced the battery and the readiness codes were not in a ready state when I was there to pick up the car.

I was surprised the car passed because the front brakes had a pulsation under light braking. I'm assuming the technician did not drive the car like he should because he passed me.

This is the second car I've had to have the inspection done on my own after buying from a dealer.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:14 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

California is suuuuper strict. My daily beater failed over a small crack on a 6" fuel evap hose. Took a week for me to get the dang part because I couldn't just use any hose from autozone.

Last edited by dkz; 12-12-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 742 Likes on 547 Posts

In Ca... smog inspection is ONLY emissions. The rest of the car can be a complete, fallin' apart POS, but if it passes smog, cool. No road test or safety inspection involved.
I looked, but was unable to find one single CARB exempt Z06 air intake available. I have a Lingenfelter, that looks pretty stock. I understand the Callaway looks 'stockish' also, but I don't know that personally. My smog is coming up... swapping out the headers at this moment. The Lingenfelter intake slid past last time. Hope it will again...
Old 12-12-2016, 09:51 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowanker
In Ca... smog inspection is ONLY emissions. The rest of the car can be a complete, fallin' apart POS, but if it passes smog, cool. No road test or safety inspection involved.
I looked, but was unable to find one single CARB exempt Z06 air intake available. I have a Lingenfelter, that looks pretty stock. I understand the Callaway looks 'stockish' also, but I don't know that personally. My smog is coming up... swapping out the headers at this moment. The Lingenfelter intake slid past last time. Hope it will again...
When I lived in SoCal up until last year; I was never questioned about my Callaway Honker on my old C5Z, and I also had my C6Z smogged twice (two different smog shops) with my Halltech MF103 on the car...not a comment on that one either time as well. Its luck of the draw really...but if you have an intake like the OP with an exposed filter element, its probably going to get questioned. Especially since the OP's smog tech had a vette previously...just dumb luck right there.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:32 AM
homerandabe69
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars 2000 and newer only do a visual and obd scan. As long as your car looks stock to the eye (under hood and under the car) and does not have any CEL codes, your car will pass. Most technicicans will not know the difference as far as head/cam work goes as long as it is not too lopey. You can also have a catback exhaust and pass.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

^^ the key is 'looking stock'...
Old 12-14-2016, 01:49 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowanker
You know; its funny...here in HI, there IS an annual safety inspection. Yet, there are so many rusted out heaping POS jalopies on the road here with their inspection stickers. I just shake my head at this annual "safety inspection"...yet, somehow I had to have a persuasive 15 minute conversation revolving around having no front license plate on my 16K mile C6Z before I got a passing grade.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by homerandabe69
Cars 2000 and newer only do a visual and obd scan. As long as your car looks stock to the eye (under hood and under the car) and does not have any CEL codes, your car will pass. Most technicicans will not know the difference as far as head/cam work goes as long as it is not too lopey. You can also have a catback exhaust and pass.
In CA, 2000 and newer gas cars, you are allowed to have the evaporative system incomplete, all other readiness codes must be complete.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:32 PM
revilingfool
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

photoshop a sticker and slap it on?
Old 12-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Flyr282
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you had a Fast intake its says intake system on the CARB sticker if I remember correctly it has 3 or 4 numbers on it. Some places that don't care might count it all as the system.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

The visual inspection really comes down to the knowledge and diligence of the inspector. Anything stock looking usually slides past, but something blatantly non-stock earns scrutiny. My C5 got bounced last year for a PCV catch can. "Modified PCV System". Chicken sh*t.

Get notified of new replies

To First Time SMOG'ing my Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] First Time SMOG'ing my Z06