Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 3ZR DIY Dash Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 12:02 AM
JEFF WHITTINGTON
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I brought mine to an upholstery shop here in Naples. They deal in lots of high end cars, so I trusted em to do it. Pulled the glass and did it. Give you lots of credit for takin that on!
Old 04-05-2023, 08:29 AM
1Sikstik
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Did you repair yourself or bring it to a pro? Hows it holding up?
I did it myself. It still looks great. My dash wasn't an easy one to find, dark titanium with blue stitch and I have the little speakers on the left and right side. I'm hoping they used a different glue on the replacement dash.

Originally Posted by JEFF WHITTINGTON
I brought mine to an upholstery shop here in Naples. They deal in lots of high end cars, so I trusted em to do it. Pulled the glass and did it. Give you lots of credit for takin that on!
Which shop did you bring it to? I live in Estero and brought mine to a naples upholstery shop that does hi-end cars (cant remember their name but they are located close to naples dodge) when I had the drivers bolster repaired and they did a great job, but a few years later when I brought it for the dash they did not seem to want to take it on so I did it myself with the new dash.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:24 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Boom. Done.

Before:

After:

Came out way better than I thought I could get it. Looks absolutely perfect. Added some staples in hidden edges to add some strength as well. Got the dash back in last night in about 2 hours. Takes a little longer for me since I have aftermarket guages, boost control and lots of associated wiring. Just need to vacuum and clean up and job done.

I used DAP weldwood adhesive and an $8 seam roller I bought on amazon. I'll have a video up on my youtube channel documenting the process in a bit more detail.
The following 8 users liked this post by MTBSully:
1Sikstik (04-11-2023), BlueSS (04-05-2023), C6ZRJuan (04-09-2023), DNAST1 (04-05-2023), JABCAT (04-05-2023), JEFF WHITTINGTON (04-05-2023), Nister (04-08-2023), VetteVinnie (04-05-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-05-2023, 05:52 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Very nicely done. Looking forward to the video. Mine doesn't need it (yet), but it would be nice to have in my back pocket for when/if the time comes.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:49 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

That came out great !
Take a trip to Tampa to do mine!
Old 04-05-2023, 07:18 PM
JEFF WHITTINGTON
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Sikstik
I did it myself. It still looks great. My dash wasn't an easy one to find, dark titanium with blue stitch and I have the little speakers on the left and right side. I'm hoping they used a different glue on the replacement dash.

Which shop did you bring it to? I live in Estero and brought mine to a naples upholstery shop that does hi-end cars (cant remember their name but they are located close to naples dodge) when I had the drivers bolster repaired and they did a great job, but a few years later when I brought it for the dash they did not seem to want to take it on so I did it myself with the new dash.
I took it to Ted and Son custom upholstery.
They are on Enterprise Dr.
The following users liked this post:
1Sikstik (04-11-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 07:22 PM
JEFF WHITTINGTON
Racer

Boom. Done.

Before:

After:

Came out way better than I thought I could get it. Looks absolutely perfect. Added some staples in hidden edges to add some strength as well. Got the dash back in last night in about 2 hours. Takes a little longer for me since I have aftermarket guages, boost control and lots of associated wiring. Just need to vacuum and clean up and job done.

I used DAP weldwood adhesive and an $8 seam roller I bought on amazon. I'll have a video up on my youtube channel documenting the process in a bit more detail.
Great job! Like brand new!
Old 04-08-2023, 11:04 AM
camchopz06
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick shout out on your videos. Really really enjoy them.

Back on topic, my dash leather is a mess and I’ve been wanting to fix it. I really want to flock the dash instead of fixing the leather because the leather is so reflective and flocking can look really good. If anyone reading this has considered doing the same please share what you’ve learned.

Here’s my inspiration, Jake Rozelles C5 Z06:

Old 05-11-2023, 05:14 PM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Hmm, I wonder what that "stretch" product was. Looking to tackle mine in the next week or two.

Went back just to ask for you. Lexol Leather conditioner. Rub it on. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so. He told me to put that stuff on my seats too. Good stuff.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:43 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,939 Likes on 4,308 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Nosferatu333
Went back just to ask for you. Lexol Leather conditioner. Rub it on. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so. He told me to put that stuff on my seats too. Good stuff.
Except your seats aren't leather. They have a plastic coating and the "conditioners" don't do anything.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:51 PM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Except your seats aren't leather. They have a plastic coating and the "conditioners" don't do anything.
joy. It is what he used in the dash however. I’ll be sure to keep it off my seats.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:30 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,939 Likes on 4,308 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Nosferatu333
joy. It is what he used in the dash however. I’ll be sure to keep it off my seats.
An easy way to tell (with the dash also) is to put a few drops of water on them. If they sit on top, plasticized coating. There's a really good example of this difference in the C8 Z06 forum where a member posted pics of their Ferrari 458 and their new Z06. The Ferrari has real leather interior, even the ridiculously expensive Z06 has cheap GM plasticized "leather".
Old 05-13-2023, 12:35 AM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JABCAT
An easy way to tell (with the dash also) is to put a few drops of water on them. If they sit on top, plasticized coating. There's a really good example of this difference in the C8 Z06 forum where a member posted pics of their Ferrari 458 and their new Z06. The Ferrari has real leather interior, even the ridiculously expensive Z06 has cheap GM plasticized "leather".
Mai it’s not leather at all. Pleather is what it used to be refered to back in the day.

but like t it just be just real but cheap leather witha protective coating?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 3ZR DIY Dash Repair