C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls9 blocks for fi

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:59 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

i am getting closer on my own twin turbo kit. going on record here that i will make 800rwhp thru a stock ls2 and bone stock x pipe and mufflers.

oh yeah it wont be any harder to install then a centrifical supercharger.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:21 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
i wouldnt hold ur breath!
that made my day when he said they were coming out with a 6 bolt aluminum lsx block... please tell me this is true!!!

I just want the 6 bolt head studs... if they put that on any of the ls motors, id be plenty happy. I think the blocks are fine, just worried about heads coming off.

Does anyone tighten their heads a bit more than they should who are running 1200hp+? And does anyone re tighten their head studs after they drive the car a little bit, someone said they stretc a bit and relieve pressure? Ive heard that it helps, and others say its not true. I figured nick will know

... please tell me they have an aluminum lsx block coming
Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone tighten their heads a bit more than they should who are running 1200hp+? And does anyone re tighten their head studs after they drive the car a little bit, someone said they stretc a bit and relieve pressure? Ive heard that it helps, and others say its not true. I figured nick will know

... please tell me they have an aluminum lsx block coming
Yes, I got 8-10 lbs-ft more. Also, run the 2000's. Stronger material. Yes, I retighten after many heat cycles. Yes, there is an alum RHS and LSX block coming....
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Chris.Shea
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII
Yes, I got 8-10 lbs-ft more. Also, run the 2000's. Stronger material. Yes, I retighten after many heat cycles. Yes, there is an alum RHS and LSX block coming....
i cant wait. guess i am saving the ls6 block in my garage for something else. maybe even sell it to help pay for these new blocks. Does anybody know the release dates for these blocks? i would imagine they will be on backorder for some time if they are cheaper than the worlds. to expensive for a single block imo to put a hole in it again.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Chris,

Just read this thread from start to finish. You'll see the release dates.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Chris.Shea
Drifting

Chris,

Just read this thread from start to finish. You'll see the release dates.
i did and even read it again to make sure i didnt miss anything. I saw "3-4 months" and "sometime later this year".

so the options will be worlds aluminium, GM's aluminium LSX, ERL mod LS2, RHS Aluminium and lastly DARTS billet?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Chris,

Exactly - and no one really knows "when." We know what the Manufacturers are saying, but take those time frames with a grain of salt.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 AM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

talked to a few big engine shops today who were asking about my whipple sc/turbo setup, and they said GM actaully halted production of the lsx there for a bit... and some company bought up a half million dollars worth of lsx blocks just to get GM to resume production.

In my opinion, gm will do the aluminum block on the same order basis... they will say they have it, and wait till so many orders are placed probably before they ever build any... at least thats what the word on the street is.

A bit off topic, but im not gonna start a thread about it just to start gossip... but lets just say... the first corvette upgrade engine shop that comes to mind when you think fast vettes... is on the verge of bankruptcy. Talking to one of the techs today on the phone, he wants to do my whipple/turbo setup... but he said that theres a very high chance they will be going under. I promised him i wouldnt say anything about which company it is, so dont ask. But yeah.. the economy will keep getting worse for a while it seems. Which doenst help our odds of the aluminum lsx... damn this world.

So back to head studs... you tighten them 8-10 past spec the first time around? or you wait till after the heat cycling, and then you noticed you could get another 8-10? Let me know
Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 AM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

I go 8-10 on the retighten.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:05 AM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

elaborate on 2000's... you lost me. I have arp head studs... are there different kinds?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 AM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

EXCELLENT ARTICLE!

ALL SHOULD READ!

yeah mike looks like ur right, 09 ls3 block on order.

http://www.camarohomepage.com/ls3/index.htm
Great article, thanks for posting that up. It makes you wonder if a stock ls3 will be better than the majority of current aftermarket parts currently availible?

Nick, based on the description of this motor... what do you plan on doing aftermarket, and what do you think should be left alone. The heads really look good, you think youll stay with stock or get something else?

Also, is it possible to ADD 2 extra stud holes for 6 stud heads? In other words, weld on and re finish the flat surface of additional tabs and holes to turn a 4 head stud head and block into a 6 stud head and block.

Their valve technology and valve seats in that article seem better than the aftermarket stuff availible... and it wont cost an arm and a leg.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

elaborate on 2000's... you lost me. I have arp head studs... are there different kinds?
irun4cops,

Yes, these are an upgraded ARP stud. It is a stronger material. The don't stretch as much as the standard ARP's.

Also, is it possible to ADD 2 extra stud holes for 6 stud heads? In other words, weld on and re finish the flat surface of additional tabs and holes to turn a 4 head stud head and block into a 6 stud head and block.
Folks are already doing this with LS7 blocks. The LS9 wouldn't be any different. Just weld tabs in place (it's harder than it sounds of course but certainly doable). Also, the heads on the LS9 appear to be great. I'd wager if you can get enough clamping force, they'd hold ~1500 RWHP with enough boost! I'd say the same holds true for the LS7 heads once the exhaust port is CNC'd by Richard @ proheads.com.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Chris.Shea
Drifting

Folks are already doing this with LS7 blocks. The LS9 wouldn't be any different. Just weld tabs in place (it's harder than it sounds of course but certainly doable). Also, the heads on the LS9 appear to be great. I'd wager if you can get enough clamping force, they'd hold ~1500 RWHP with enough boost! I'd say the same holds true for the LS7 heads once the exhaust port is CNC'd by Richard @ proheads.com.
This is the ERL mod i mentioned above. erlperformance.com I am waiting to see RHS and GM's aluminum 6 bolt stuff. I want to spend my 6bolt block money once...
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

no doubt that LS9 and such will be nice but i ordered new gm version's of the ls3 today. mains are strenghtened compaired to prevouis gen.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:13 AM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

how much was it? How much do you expect to spend on the motor, heads, everything total?

Will you make this a 6 head stud block through modification?

This is the ERL mod i mentioned above. erlperformance.com I am waiting to see RHS and GM's aluminum 6 bolt stuff. I want to spend my 6bolt block money once...
How long do you suspect until these aluminum 6 bolt blocks are availible?

Last edited by irun4cops; 01-15-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

are you going to fit the LS9 oil squirters Nick??

chris.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by chuntington101
are you going to fit the LS9 oil squirters Nick??

chris.

wasnt planning on...KISS rule...

good set of heads steel crank studs oliver rods... off the shelf parts....

Get notified of new replies

To Ls9 blocks for fi

Old 01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

wasnt planning on...KISS rule...

good set of heads steel crank studs oliver rods... off the shelf parts....
I love the idea of the ls9 block with the better bolts, oil squirters, but I don't think it will be available separately for a while. would be much cheaper and less hassle than retrofit caps, but the stock ls3 caps are probably plenty strong if detonation is avoided

the oil squirters probably aren't needed, but they sure seem like a good idea, but require the higher capacity pump and more oil in the tank

might be easier to just buy an ls9, and sell off the blower, but pretty pricey!! the ti rods probably are ok to 800 hp, but maybe not much more

like to hear more about the ls9 and bare block or even a short block!!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 AM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

what do you guys think the big advantage is going to be with RHS aluminum block compared to the current warhawk? Any ariticles on the GM aluminum lsx coming out? Do you think GM would equip the new lsx with the benefits of the ls9?

Last edited by irun4cops; 01-16-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Chris.Shea
Drifting

Originally Posted by irun4cops
what do you guys think the big advantage is going to be with RHS aluminum block compared to the current warhawk? Any ariticles on the GM aluminum lsx coming out? Do you think GM would equip the new lsx with the benefits of the ls9?
i would hope. they are still pre production? and i would assume are testing the casting process now. we would like to see all of the advantages of these new gm production blocks in their aftermarket.(better windows, oil squirters...) i want a car i can take out every saturday night(weather permitting) and a few days to work should i chose. For 2 years i do not want to touch the shortblock. Going off the shelf parts as well with coatings and such but if/when parts ever fail i want quick turn around time. do it right the first time or not at all... my cars been sitting for over a year because new/better parts keep coming out and i don't want to drop the cash, fall short of my goal and then have to rethink my strategy all over again. done that once already

Quick Reply: Ls9 blocks for fi